“Hotel Giglio rocks!”
Review of Hotel Giglio

Hotel Giglio
Ranked #168 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I arrived in Florence on a rainy Friday. I'd made reservations at another hotel near the Duomo, Hotel Benvenuti, but the room they offered me was shabby and dirty and I decided to find another hotel. The Hotel Giglio had an opening and Eleanor, who checked me in, was very helpful. I stayed 4 days and Marco and the staff were helpful with information about Florence and traveling in Tuscany. Breakfast was fantastic and included, and Marco's brother gave me a ride to the airport. The room was comfortable and clean (and cutely decorated).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed here for four days. Had a great stay, staff were very helpful, and gave us some good restaurant recommendations. Hotel is about a 10 mon walk from the Duomo. Wifi was a bit hit and miss though. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank aliw1980
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

We arrived late in the evening, Marco quickly checked us in and explained the hotel facilities. We have 3 kids 22, 6 and 9, so couldn't go out the evening we arrived, Marco helped arrange a takeout pizza, brought plates cutlery and wine glasses to our room. We had the family room which was very large and much bigger than any other family we have been in. The family room has very high ceilings big flat screen tv and a little fridge. The location is within walking distance of the major sites. The owners are very welcoming and spent time getting to know us. Ashamedly my Italian is awful, but fortunately everyone spoke english. The breakfast is typical European continental style but everything was fresh.
In today's world of the internet it is easy to just do everything online, of you are a family or bigger group I recommend call the hotel and discuss your needs they will work with you to make your stay comfortable and pleasurable. We did this and ensured my 22 year old had her own room close by and the kids had their own beds not sharing a large bed.
Hope your stay is as great as ours.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank scinsr
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My partner and I spent just 2 nights at Hotel Giglio as part of our Italy trip (wish we had spent longer though as Florence is a beautiful city).

The service we received was impeccable, firstly we we offered a drink upon arrival while Marco sorted out our check-in then we received detailed information about the city and places to visit and eat all drawn on a handy map.

The room was very clean and although the decor was a little dated it was a decent size and very well maintained.

The reason I can't give the hotel full marks all round is simply the noise we experienced at night; our room was one of the closest to the main hallway and you could hear every person arriving back to the hotel at night and an extremely disrespectful German man talking and laughing on the phone in the corridor in the middle of the night. I understand it is a hard issue to resolve but perhaps thicker, tighter fitting doors and a bit of carpet here and there may reduce the noise a little?

The breakfast was very nice with the usual array of continental breakfast items; breads, cold meats, cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, pastries and cakes. The coffee served with breakfast was great and there was a self service machine if you wanted to top up (or simply just ask for another if you want one from the proper machine).

We ordered two espressos at the bar on one evening which were given to us on the house, even though the price at the bar says €1.

The location of the hotel is very good, it's easily walkable to the train station and all the sites, however we are in our 20s, so whilst it was fine for us, less able guests may feel this hotel is a bit too far out.

On the morning of check-out Marco asked us what our onward plans were and immediately offered us a lift to the train station. This was before we even had chance to ask about organising a taxi (as it was raining that day). We tried to offer him some money but he wouldn't have it. This was completely unexpected and have never experienced such a personal service from a hotel before.

Finally, we took up one of Marco's restaurant recommendations "La Burrasca" and had the best meal of our entire trip, so thanks so much for the recommendation. We will definitely be reviewing that place on here too and would highly recommend to anyone.

In summary, the personal service offered at this hotel is second to none, you will definitely feel well looked after. Additionally the rooms are very clean and well maintained which is probably the most important thing for us from a hotel. Unfortunately we didn't get the best nights sleep so whilst it pains me to do so, I have to be honest and mark down on the room.

Room Tip: Furthest away from the main corridor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie B
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel is a small one that's run by 2 brothers, who look like twins. I loved the personalised attention and the warmth they exuded. As soon as we got in Marco (I think) offered us a welcome drink and gave us a run down of the places and restaurants around. It was the unhurried pace of his recommendations that got me. He patiently understood the duration of our stay and our plans and suggested what would be enjoyable for us. He also gave us a few signed cards of the Hotel and suggested a few restaurants (that were awesome) that would offer a 10% discount since we were guests at the Giglio. The hotel is on a quiet section of a main road that's walking distance from many of the monuments @ Florence. I enjoyed my experience and the icing on the cake was when one of the brothers offered to drive us to the Avis office to pick up our car. That was touching!

Not the conventional hotel but beats the so called professional big ones by the warm and personalised attention.

If I ever come back to Florence, I'll stay at Giglio.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sujitsumitran
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in mid May 2013.
We had a 3 person room with plenty of space (traveling with college aged son).
Room is very clean and we were very comfortable.
Small issue with shower - It is a bathtub with shower, but there is only glass covering half of the tub.
However, we knew that this is very common in Europe. Once we worked it out, we had no problems.
European breakfast is included with plenty of choices.
Location is comfortable walk to all the main attractions.
Internet connection was not great in our room, but there is a lounge area and the connection was fine there.
What stood out for us was the family that runs this hotel.
Marco and Roberto were so friendly and helpful it really made a difference for us!
Lots of information on good places to eat and the best places to see.
Also, as it was raining when we left, Marco offered to drive us to the rental car pickup (we were very grateful for this).

Make sure to take the time to walk up to the top of the hill (Marco and Roberto will tell you where) and watch the sunset over the city (bring wine and enjoy!) - Truly memorable!
Adam & Teresa.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AdamMcIlravey
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We spent a week at Hotel Giglio. This lovely little hotel has it all for a traveler looking for good value, great location, and terrific service. Located on Via Cavour, a main street but not too noisy, Hotel Giglio is about 1 block past San Marco and less than 10 minute walk to the Duomo and the historic center of Florence. You’ll find convenient and tasty restaurants in the neighborhood, as well as a grocery store and laundromat about 3 blocks away on Via San Gallo.
Husband and wife team of Marco and Manuela, and their family, offer their guests a warm welcome and great service. Marco runs the front desk providing guests with helpful touring info for Florence, and beyond while Manuela oversees a hearty breakfast in their charming breakfast room. The breakfast was my favorite of the 3 hotels we visited on this trip; fresh croissants, pastries and breads, several kinds of meats and cheeses, fresh fruit salad, cereals, yogurt, and cappuccino, of course. Their hospitality truly is above and beyond any other European hotel I have visited. Both my husband I caught nasty colds and Marco and Manuela did everything they could to make us comfortable.
We stayed in room A, overlooking the back garden. It was sparkling clean, spacious with a mini-fridge, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was modern with a great shower. I did peak into several other rooms and they all looked clean, and well maintained. Other guests commented to me about how clean their rooms were. Remember this is Europe, where hotels fit into existing older buildings so don’t expect modern cookie-cutter rectangles, but that is part of the charm.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple