“Hotel does not live up to its billing”
Review of Hotel Giglio

Hotel Giglio
Ranked #167 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I booked a 7-night stay over the New Year period largely on the strength of customer reviews on here and on booking.com, and because of its central location (a five-minute walk from Piazza San Marco). The positives: as many others have remarked, the hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and they put on a good spread for breakfast each morning. The negatives: you can hear everything that goes on in the hotel, especially during breakfast (7.30-10.00) and room service, meaning we got very little sleep during our stay. This was compounded by the fact that our room was right next to the toilet, meaning there was even more commotion outside our door. The room itself wasn't very clean - the floors were very dusty and dirty, and I found stains on both the duvet and the bathroom curtain. There was damp all over the wall in the en-suite bathroom and the towel warmer was also rusted and dirty. Overall, I would say this hotel is not good value for money and would not recommend staying there: I have had much better experiences and spent less in other three-star and indeed four-star hotels.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 6 - it's extremely noisy!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank dmpwright

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My partner and I stayed at hotel Giglio over the 2013 Christmas period. The hotel itself is centrally located and provides an ideal base for exploration within Florence. Many of Florence's major tourist attractions including Accademia, Piazza del Duomo and Piazza della Signoria are only minutes away by foot. Santa Maria Novella station is also in close proximity to the hotel, roughly a 15 minute walk or 5 minutes by taxi. The room we stayed in was clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff are friendly, professional and only too happy to help out. Marco, the hotel operator, went to great lengths to find a fantastic place for us to dine on Christmas day. He literally spent the best part of an hour ringing restaurants around town insisting that he could find a place that would offer great quality at a reasonable price. No mean feat considering the majority of Florence’s shops and restaurants are closed on Christmas day. He did not disappoint. For Christmas lunch we enjoyed a five course Tuscan feast, a meal I’m sure we will both remember for the rest of our lives. If you are looking for a hotel that offers excellent customer service and great value for money, hotel Giglio is the place for you. Five stars!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Patrick C
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My family of 4 stayed 4 nights in a nice family room with a spacious toilet. Marco and his wife are wonderful hosts throughout our stay, giving us recommendations of places to go and other good advices. The location is perfect as Florence major attractions are all within walking distances from here. It's good to know that there is always some one at the reception so you don't have to worry about coming back late and buzzing/waiting for the main front door to open. There is also a small lift for your luggages. I am glad I had planned 4 nights as Florence is also a good place for day trips to Pisa, Siena, Lucca, San Gimignano and jumping spot to Cinque Terre. Do visit the inside of the next block church at St Marco square. We passed by it everyday and I only decided on the last morning just before departure to do a quick dash there. It's a modest church with a bishop? in a glass encasement but I had the church all to myself which made it a more unique experience. Marco was ever so kind to give a ride to my family to the train station which added to an already wonderful Florence trip. Highly recommnended for family.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Avonez
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Hotel Giglio has a central location for visiting all of Florence's wonders. Our visit to Florence was a somewhat brief but eventful one. After enjoying the hotel's comfortable rooms, coffee bar and breakfast lounge, we were prepared to leave when we found our passports missing - yup, we were sure that wouldn't happen to us! Over the next few hours, Marco and Manuela did everything possible, sleuthing, comforting, directing and being very patient (we had already checked out!) in getting us onto the next available flight home.Manuela's infectious smile and gracious way kept us calm while Marco tracked down the necessary restaurant owner (scene of the crime) and had him meet us to hand over our lost passport bag - intact! They were life-savers and don't let Marco's cool demeanor throw you - he's a pussy cat. Hotel Giglio is a true comfort zone in Florence and they're very good under pressure! Stay here! They'll take care you, even if you're unable to do it yourself.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Virginia O
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We were four adults in two rooms with single beds at the Hotel Giglio for four nights and we very much liked it. I would give the hotel an excellent rating, except for the very hard and narrow beds. One of our companions had great difficulty sleeping on them. The hotel is a great buy and is in a perfect location to walk to all the sites. The staff were friendly, helpful and professional and had recommendations for places to dine, shop etc. Breakfast was good and we loved the daily cappuccinos! It's about a five minute cab ride from the train station to the hotel. This hotel is clean and comfortable and we noticed quite a few families with children staying there too. The location is quiet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank cattlegirl96
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights in October while I was a visiting scholar at the European University Institute. The hotel was lovely. My room was very cozy and had a nice view of the rooftop garden across the street. The staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful, from providing me with ice packs for my sprained knee to helping me reschedule my travel to get around a train strike. Breakfast was lovely and I looked forward each morning to a great cup of cappuccino. I liked the fact that I was only a 10 minute walk from the Duomo for my sightseeing but at the same time was on a quiet street away from most of the tourist crowds.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank vramey
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Had a lovely stay here for 3 nights. We were offered coffee during check-in, which was a nice touch! The room was comfortable with air con which actually works (coming from Scotland it was still pretty warm in October for us!!) An issue with our toilet flushing continuously was attended to immediately when reported. We were accompanied to the train station following check out to be shown the fastest route, which was above and beyond what I have experienced at any other hotel. When you leave the hotel, you only have to walk for about 8 minutes in a straight line to reach the duomo. Having stayed in other areas of Florence previously, I would say that Hotel Giglio offers the best value for money in terms of service and location in the city. I'd definitely stay again!

• Stayed: October 2013