“Great place to Stay”

Ranked #301 of 420 Hotels in Florence
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great place to Stay”
Reviewed 2 February 2008

I was about sick reading some of these crybaby reviews about the Albergo Chiazza...

My fiancee and I styed there in June for 3 nights and had a great stay. On our 2 week trip to Italy, this was probably the best place we stayed. I liked it so much I recommended it to my sister and she stayed too (and loved it). I should mention that we were on a tight budget, but we ddi stay at 3-4 other places at around 80-120 Euro/night and this was the most for the money.

Location:
Superb. Not right in teh heart of the city center (ie, Duomo), but only about a 10 minute walk. Its actually close to the Accademia (David) and not far from Uffizi, either. Plus, it gets you to side of town you might not otehrwise go to. Tucked into an alley way with a real Italian neighborhood feel--it really worked for us!

Staff:
some of teh most pleasant people we met. it wasnt crowded when we were there so we got the royal treatment--like a personal concigere. breakfast was great too

Rooms:
Now this was probably the only place I stayed with AC the whole time and it was great. Much better than a hostle. we had no issues with the AC working, although I do not recall a control unit in teh room. The bed was fine...no real memory of it though. The shower was down the hall for us, but we knew that going in so it wasnt bad (or different from pretty much anywhere else we stayed).

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FLguy22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2007

I booked a room for 5 nights in this hotel back in May for a trip in May. As my plans changed I had to cancel the 5 nights. They were able to charge all amount due. I can't belive that!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank sanrocco
england uk
Reviewed 11 October 2006

we have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Chiazza with a group of friends. For a budget hotel it was excellent.It was in a really good location, very clean ,adequate breakfast and the staff were very helpful. We felt extremely safe in the area even late at night. If you are just looking for a place to rest your head at night, nothing fancy, you will certainly not be disappointed in booking the Chiazza. Florence, by the way, is a lovely city.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
4 Thank dovedale
California
Reviewed 11 September 2006

My wife has already reviewed this property ("Not as advertised") and although I agree with what she wrote, I think our experience was even worse than she described and would like to add a few comments of my own.

We spent several weeks travelling throughout Italy, staying mostly in moderately priced hotels in good locations. I picked the hotels we stayed in and my criteria were that they had to be within walking distance of the main sights, have air conditioning, and be reasoonably priced. I knew it would be hot and Italy and I knew that air conditioning was uncommon and would cost extra. I was willing to pay extra for it and based on these criteria, I picked Chiazza for our stay in Florence. Although almost all the hotels we stayed in turned out to be great, Chiazza was a disaster.

I had never been to Florence before and was worried about choosing a place that would be too far to walk to the city center. I don't like taking buses, even in the states, so I didn't want to have to use them in Italy, nor did I want the cost or hastle of using taxis. Chiazza's location was excellent, close enough to everything that it was a short walk, but not so close that you hear noisy carousing outside your window. I can't complain about the location except to say that I needn't have worried so much about being that close to the city center-- we could have stayed farther away and still been within a reasonable walking distance.

The air-conditioning, which I viewed as essential when selecting our hotels, did not work at any point during our stay, nor did the staff seem to find this unusual or make any great effort to fix it. In fact, they claimed they HAD turned it on, despite the fact that the room did not get any cooler. We ultimately had to resort to opening the windows. That would have been fine, if it had actually cooled the room (it did a little, but not to the point of being comfortable). Worse, though, was when I started hearing the mosquitos buzzing about our room as I attempted to sleep. Having been compelled to open the windows to cool the room off, we now had to contend with mosquitos. I didn't realize I needed to bring mosquito nets on a trip to Florence. I hate mosquitos. I really, really hate them. Trying to sleep in the sticky summer heat was one thing, but it was impossible to get any proper sleep while I listened to the mosquitos buzz around our room. In retrospect, I probably should have gone to an Internet cafe and found us another hotel in Florence. The possibility of doing that did not occur to me at the time, though.

There are probably people reading this who think I am making a big deal over nothing. For some people, air-conditoning is just a luxury and mosquitos might be annoying but aren't a big deal. But it was a big deal for me and I chose this hotel over other cheaper hotels because it had air-conditioning and because I wouldn't have to worry about spending the night being devoured by bloodthirsty insects. I paid extra for that and didn't get what I paid for.

So, if you don't care about air-conditioning, I would recommend choosing one of the many cheaper hotels in Florence that don't have air-conditioning. If you do want air-conditioing, then you should pick a different hotel, which might cost more but will actually give you what you want. The only person this hotel would appeal to might be a gambler-- who wants to pay extra on the off chance that they might be luckier than we were.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Advertised having A/C, but didn't have it
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank idomeneus
NYC
Reviewed 12 August 2006

I was really happy with this hotel. It was close to the duomo (6 minute walk), it had AC in the room, was very reasonably price, was safe for a single female traveller, and had a great breakfast. Another perk is that I showed up early in the morning, and they were able to accomodate me to the room which really helped since I was exhausted from the travel. Definitely recommend it!

Stayed July 2006
3 Thank Dittosparkle
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2006

We stayed for 3 nights at the Albergo Chiazza and had a very pleasant stay.

The hotel itself is in a great location - about 5 minutes walk from the Duomo. It is also on a pedestrianised street (or as 'pedestranised' as you can get in Italy!) so we didn't have any noise in the room at night. Be aware that the hotel is up two flights of steps, but we managed to walk from the train station to the hotel with our backpacks and survive! The staff were all friendly and helpful, and spoke decent English. The breakfast selection was perfectly adequate, with a nice selection of cakes, which was a treat for us!

Our room itself was fine, we had a large double room with ensuite. As already mentioned in other reviews, our bathroom wasn't great...it was quite small and dark, and as the shower is open we found that a long shower tended to get water all across the bathroom floor. We didn't have a problem with the temperature in our room, as we had a large opening window with a flyscreen. Apart from that, the room was clean and well presented.

Overall, good value and quality for a hotel of this rating.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank julesguest
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 June 2006

On the plus side: good location, a few blocks from the Duomo and Campanile. For a budget option, it didn't feel particularly unsafe or dirty. It's fairly unattractive on the inside (ugly bedspreads, puke-colored floors) and up several long flights of stairs when dragging luggage, but I more or less expected this for the price we paid. It was fairly quiet at night.

Absolutely unacceptable is the fact that we chose it because it advertised air conditioning, and it emphatically did not have air conditioning. There was a bit of a run-around on the first night we got there about it, with one of the girls at the front desk mentioning something about having to ask the day manager. They claimed they turned it on, but our room never got one jot cooler. This might have been all right, since it was only the beginning of June, but the windows lacked screens. When we opened the windows in absolute desperation for some air, we were visited by every insect in Florence.

Other problems: the breakfast was standard Italian fare, which would have been fine if the milk products had been properly refrigerated. The staff was indeed multilingual, but not particularly helpful. The shower is one of those European deals, with a shower head on the side of the wall and no stall. (Not a big deal if you're expecting it, but we weren't.)

When we checked in after getting off a very delayed train, we learned that if we'd been just a few minutes later, the hotel would have closed, locking us out without accommodations for our first night in Florence. Be sure to arrive before midnight if you don't want this to happen to you.

I used to edit budget Italian travel guides, and believe me when I tell you that there are better budget options out there, even in Florence. This is one of these places that looks great on the website but ultimately disappoints in almost every way.

• Stayed June 2005