Chiazza
Hotel Il Duca(Florence)
Firenze Suite(Florence)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights on our trip around Italy. The experience started out pretty good, but ended on quite the negative note. After reading all the reviews, I knew what to look for when looking for the hotel so that wasn't much of an issue. We checked in and were shown to our room (suggestion - if you're traveling with someone else, leave them downstairs with the luggage until you check-in. It's not fun to schlep your bags up all the stairs only to discover you're staying in the building next door and have to carry them all the way down again).

Pros:
1. At check-in, the woman at the desk was very nice and helpful.
2. The breakfast was pretty good. Nothing to write home about but not bad. I suggest arriving earlier in the morning as you'll have more to choose from and your yogurt won't be warm (ick!).
3. Location! That's the main reason I even gave this place 3 stars. It's on a very safe street, super close to the Duomo, and has some great restaurants and bars in the area.

Cons:
1. It was a bit silly to discover that the wi-fi only worked in the main building. So those who stay in the main building get internet and those who stay next door don't - quite dumb.
2. Our room smelled like moldy, dirty water all the time and we had to ventilate for hours to at least minimize the smell.
3. Very unfortunate experience: On our second to last afternoon, we came home to our room to discover a dirty wet towel on the bed. All the other towels had been changed and folded, so it looked like the cleaning lady left it there while she was cleaning. Disgusting, but we moved it and got over it. Until the last afternoon when we came home to discover a dirty cleaning rubber glove on my boyfriends clothes!!! I was absolutely appalled and wanted to speak to management right then, but he told me to wait until check-out. So the next day I arrived to checkout and told the woman at the front what happened. She didn't even apologize initially but made it seem like she was calling the cleaning lady over (she never showed up). While this was happening, I was also trying to check out. First she admit that she didn't know how to use her hotels credit card machine and tried to maneuver things 3 different ways. Then she told me that the card didn't go through (mind you, this is the same card that went through for the pre-authorization and the one I had been using all over Italy). I needed to get out of there so I gave her another card that I brought only for emergencies and that one magically worked. At this point I've been there for about 15 minutes, the cleaning lady still hasn't shown up and the woman at the desk asks me about the city fees. And I said 'well before I finish with that, I'd like to know what's going to happen with the disgusting experience we had with our room'...she got very angry looking, as though how dare I imply they owe us something, but finally said 'ok, we pay your fees. You're done. Goodbye' and shoo-ed me out. Ten minutes later, I used that same card in another place in Florence and it worked. A few hours later I used it in a hotel in Venice that used the same credit card processing machine/system, and guess what? It worked. Obviously, the problem here was not with my card!.

Suffice it to say that I will not be recommending this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Florence. Even convenience is not worth that kind of poor customer service.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rainbowkaine
Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival we were escorted from
Building 5 to building 7, up a pitch black corridor and stairs to another apartment.
This was clean but very out dated and noisy with shouting and banging from apartments below us. To be honest I didn't really feel safe.

There was a continuous noise from the bathroom and on inspection it was the toilet continuously filling. After a few attempted we managed to rig it to stop making the noise while we went to sleep. We were traveling, got in late and too tired to complain so put up with it for the first night.

In the morning we complained. The manager seemed to be expecting us an said they knew there was a problem. He thn gave us a room in building 5. No apology, he wouldn't even talk or look at us after that!

My boyfriend left his phone charger in the first room and asked reception if he could go and retrieve it. They said he couldn't as someone else was now in the room with the broken toilet.

The room in building 5 was much better. Modern, air con and could see the Duomo.

Breakfast was alright.. Some cereal, croissants and cakey things.

Great location - 15 mins walk from the train station and 5 mins from Duomo.

I would return if I could guarantee a room in building 5.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I stayed at another building next to the reception.
There was resident or traveller partying late night downstairs made us hard to sleep.

Overall, it`s good.
Wifi connection should be used in no.7 building as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the chiazza for 2 nights when we visited Florence in June. After having read such great reviews, I must say I was rather disappointed with our stay. Our room was not in the main building, and while there was nothing wrong with it per say- it was definitely not worth the price. It probably did not help that both nights that we were there, it was so loud outside that even with the windows shut, we were barely able to catch a wink of sleep.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We pay for a hostel and stayed in a 3 star hotel so our expectations were absolutely exceeded. 100% recommended, amazing service and breakfast in a great location 2 blocks away from the Basilica.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends