“Another Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Another Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our second time at Hotel Balcony for one night on our way home from two weeks in Monte San Savino. Again another great stay. Clean, good value, helpful and friendly staff. Great balcony too!!!! Excellent location - some 10 mins slow walk from station and minutes from the Duomo and other sights. Very quiet and excellent air con so very comfortable. We will definitely return in 2015. Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GreeceLoverLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

After I got over the budget qualities, I really liked this hotel!
It is centrally located and a very short and easy (not counting cobble-stones!) walk from the train station. The hotel is located a bit on the edge of a dark area, but I always felt safe.

Just open the door and look to the right to get a glimpse of the Duomo right out the front door... couldn't have asked for a better location for sight-seeing.

I had a single room that was not much bigger than the twin bed, but expected no more. The bed was not soft, but the firmness felt good and I slept like a baby. The bathroom was tiny and very narrow. I had difficulty moving around in the corner shower stall and I am a small person, there was nowhere to put the soap, so that made it even more challenging, but I had plenty of hot water for a nice shower every day.

My room was on the back side, second floor, no problem with noise. The second day, I discovered a small balcony with a patio table outside the French door of my room and that made me very happy- laundry time! Washed out my clothes in the sink and hung them outside to dry...ate a sandwich and just adored the beautiful Florence sky.

The son of the owner, Guido, was so nice and his mom was a doll! I asked for another bottle of the bodywash trying to explain that I wanted to wash my clothes. She said the attendants had gone home and the supplies were locked. I was disappointed because well, there must be some laying around. She went into their kitchen and brought out what seemed to be her own shampoo and poured me about half a cup into a cup! I was so grateful for the personal gesture.

I think the family lives in the hotel as they visit with their friends in the breezeway and around the tv in the evenings. It felt like home.

The breakfast was cold and simple, the juice was like Tang, but the cappuccino was great and it gets you going in the morning. One day there was no maid service, but I really didn't mind. There are creepy curtains covering some dark openings and the television barely worked, but I would stay there again.

Don't expect much in amenities and you will be quite satisfied. I enjoyed my stay at the hotel Balcony.

(One very important note: the air conditioner is turned off in the building from sometime around ten to three; I was very put out on arrival as I was extremely hot and sweaty from the train ride, the other days, I wasn't even there to notice, though. Just be prepared.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank espressOcrema d
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Booked this hotel for a overnight stay in Florence as it was 2 blocks form the Duomo and a very reasonable price.
Room was small and a little old fashioned, but it had great WIFI, air-conditioning and included breakfast. The location was very quiet even though it was so centrally located.
The balcony is a great place to sit at night and enjoy a drink in a beautiful city.
Will definitely stay here when I visit again.
Owner and his son were very helpful and allowed us to leave our suitcases after check out , so we could enjoy the city before we headed to the train station.

Room Tip: Our room opened on to the balcony, but we were not disturbed and there was no city noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gillyfrancis
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Although the hotel was not our "style" we did appreciate the welcome from the family and breakfast included. We also enjoyed the location of the hotel... Excellent! The room & bathroom were cramped and dated but for one nights stay it was suffice. Just wasn't the usual hotel we stay at but nonetheless a clean and simple stay with a sweet family.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CRISTINA S
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

very helpful and friendly family, super location to all the important places, the room was big enough and clean, also the bathroom. we could use the balcony after our check out, good view from the balcony and nice to sit there with a bottle of wine from the hotel. everything was fine, I would spend my nights during a trip to florence in this hotel again.

Room Tip: try to get a room with a double bed
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claudia D
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Well located hotel only 300m from the main station close to all the main sights. Older style rooms with stairs. Nice balcony overlooking street below. Rooms quite large for a city centre hotel. Given our luggage overload situation the receptionist was kind enough to give us a room with least stairs to manoeuvre. Breakfast was only simple. Our biggest issue was not with the 5 Mosquitos I managed to slap but with the ones I couldn't. Florence is an expensive city and given a peak season scenario this hotel matched our expectations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arkadiusz W
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

You can't beat the location of this family run hotel. Very easy walking distance to all major sites (and train station). The Duomo is 2 mins away. There is a lovely roof deck with a view of the Duomo. Small room and bathroom, but clean. Very helpful owners!

Stayed May 2014