“Beautiful and warm place”
Review of Hotel Albion

Hotel Albion
Ranked #210 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful and warm place”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed in Albion for one week. Very nice, homy, clean and friendly hotel. Sarah, the owner of the hotel, may answer you any question and help you with anything. Now she has two babies, Bernardo and Vivginia. Congratulation! We hope to see you again, sooner that later. Of course I would recommend this hotel to everybody! Vladimir and Tatjana.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vladimir B
HotelAlbionFirenze, Responsabile reception at Hotel Albion, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Vladimir and dear Tatjana,
I thank you really for your nice words!! It was nice to have you with us!! The kids make me very busy home…that’s very relaxing coming to work !! I wish I see you again soon in Florence…ciao ciao and a big hug,
Sara Ravalli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
Decorah
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We have used this historic hotel a number of times. It has been in the family for several generations-- Susanna (born in room 9), Massimo and their daughter Sara are exceptionally fluent in English and very welcoming and accommodating. The hotel is maintained with obvious pride: its walls covered with the family's impressive artwork collection, the breakfast buffet is sumptuous and the prices are reasonable. The location is excellent--3 1/2 blocks from the train station, two blocks from the Arno river and a 15 minute walk to the center of town. A bus stop directly next to the hotel provides easy access to all parts of the city and a bus terminal 3 blocks away serves the airport as well as cities throughout Tuscany.

Room Tip: Best to call or email Susanna directly to discuss your wishes
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Uwe R
Dear Uwe,
Grazie mille!!! We hope to see you again soon…
Sara and the Albion Family
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 11 November 2013

If I could give a rating worse than terrible...I would. I cannot believe anyone gives this hotel a positive review.

Don’t even consider staying at the Hotel Albion in Florence. Our experience in May 2013 with the hotel almost ruined our trip to Florence. As we left the lobby and followed the bellman up the stairs, the smell of mildew became overwhelming. I found it difficult to breathe.

When we complained, Mr. Ravalli tried to tell us that this smell was something to be expected due to age of the hotel. In our experience with other hotels, we had not found this to be true. Not one of the hotels we had stayed at in Germany, Austria, or Italy during the previous week had ANY odor - or mildew in the rooms. The hotels we had been staying in were as old as the Hotel Albion, and one was several hundred years older than the Hotel Albion - but, not one whiff of an odor in any of them. We found it inconceivable that any hotel that was advertised as "completely restored in the winter of 2010" and "recently renovated" would have an overpowering smell of mildew, as well as the rust, mold, mildew, dirt found throughout the Hotel Albion's guest rooms and bathrooms. We found gouges and scratches on the walls of the bedroom, peeling/cracking paint on the windows, furniture and bedding was that was old and very worn. (This was not just in one room, we had three rooms reserved, all three had similar problems.) In fact, we were so surprised at the condition of the hotel that we actually got on the internet and looked at the hotel’s website as we could not believe that this was the same hotel.

After seeing the condition of the rooms and having been overpowered by the repugnant smell, we told Mr. Ravalli that we would not accept the rooms, and that our reservations were to be cancelled.

Unfortunately, we had reserved these rooms with a credit card issued in the United States, and, according to my credit card company, it is virtually impossible to win a case where you are contesting a hotel charge outside of the United States, especially if it is based upon the conditions of the hotel. We supplied pictures of the mold, mildew, etc. but were not able to win our case. The credit card company told me that had the hotel been in the United States, we would not have had any trouble contesting the charge based on the hotel's conditions. The Hotel Albion's cancellation policy requires you to cancel 8 days in advance, which was impossible since we could not have seen or smelled the condition of the hotel until we arrived there. If the hotel had been as advertised, we would not have cancelled our reservation. It caused us great inconvenience to do so as we had to scramble to find somewhere to stay in Florence. Having to get accommodations at the last minute cost us a great deal of money - twice the cost of the Hotel Albion. Needless to say, it ruined our first day in Florence.

We also found the area around the hotel to be questionable. In our time in Germany, Austria, and Italy, this was the only time we felt uneasy or unsafe. As a perfect end to our experience as we left the hotel, we found a man urinating on the wall.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Debbie R
Dear Debbie,
after reading your review what I can tell is that I’m feeling very sad. It is not because you left the hotel, and not even because you wrote so badly about us (we understand that we can not be liked by everyone, even if I find your words really strong) but because this was a big failure for us. We have a long tradition and experience of welcoming people and we pay lots of attentions to communicate to the people that they can always talk with us for any matter, information or complain; we like everyone knows that we are open to any problems and ready to help in any way. We asked you several times which was the reason why you were not happy and we couldn’t have any answer. We thought you just like an higher category’s hotel ( and this was a right feeling, I guess, as, like you said, you ended up in a place the double expensive than us). You left and we just didn’t know the reasons. Now, I see, you have a complete idea of why, but probably you just didn’t feel to communicate with us (and again this is our failure). If we could not help here because you really didn’t want to stay in our house, at least we could help looking for an other accommodation for you in an other hotel. This is how we work.
As update I can tell that we replaced the bad painted window of the bathroom and we have now, flat screen tv in each room.
About feeling safe, maybe at that point you had a negative eye watching around you. Florence is one of the most safe town in the world (!!); it is a cosmopolitan town and for sure there are people of other colours than white, maybe by this you had a wrong feeling, I don’t know, but I can assure you that everyone here, woman or man can walk everywhere (especially in the central areas, but everywhere anytime in town)without any risk. I personally have to do a 20 minutes walk alone everyday going and coming back to work and I never had problems even when I finish late at night or when I enter very early in the morning.
What I notice after all is that unfortunately we are more and more used to communicate in front a screen in stead to make a “life dialogue” with the people. Maybe I am an old style person but I still think that things can go better if we interact more between people. I’m really sorry you have a so bad souvenir of us and I hope your other days of holidays in the more expensive place in Florence have been good. The thing is that we love people and that’s the reason why we choose to do this job! I wish I could let you feel this, but it was not the case.
Sara Ravalli
Angola, Indiana
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is the second year in a row that we stayed at the Ablion while visiting Florence. We stayed here again this year because of the positive experience from last year. We cannot say enough about the staff, especially the owner, Massimo. He hooked up a television in the bar area so that we were able to watch the Colts vs. Broncos game which started at 2:30 am. Definitely was appreciated by our family! Very helpful in any of our requests, even secured train tickets for us for our departure to Rome. The breakfast room is large, brightly lit and comfortable. The hot chocolate was excellent! The walls of reception room, bar and breakfast room are covered with art. We loved the cotton, ironed towels in the bathroom, very Italian. Location is great-accessible to both sides of Arno. This is the place for you if you appreciate a friendly, helpful, family-run hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Most accommodating management in this little hotel in a location that is an easy walk to major museums and churches. Clean rooms, generous breakfast buffet. Only lack was reliable wi- fI. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at the Albion for four nights last week, having been very encouraged to book there by the positive reviews on tripadvisor. We checked in and were escorted to our room by a porter. First we went up a flight of stairs to the first floor, which was nicely decorated, and filled with original paintings, as is the breakfast room. Then we were brought out through a fire door and into a grotty, dingy stairwell, where a couple of beds and mattresses and a large wardroom were shoved into a corner. The porter showed us a key on the key ring he was carrying, which would enable us to regain entry to the hotel. He then told us to go up a flight of stone stairs. With the aid of a very dodgy, wobbly wooden bannister rail, we climbed 25 steps to another landing, and were told to go up another flight of 25 steps. On that landing, the porter joined us and used another key to let us through a door and up 6 more steps into an apartment, the hallway of which was nicely decorated. Our room, the Caterina de Medici room, was one of three in this apartment. It had been tastefully decorated and was probably once a lovely room, although with a very small window. It had a spotless bathroom and a separate changing area, but in the bedroom a previous visitor had entirely defaced one of the walls/shelves with graffiti and scribblings, and the hotel hadn't bothered to paint over it. The other walls were quite shabby too, from luggage or furniture being moved around. Most visitors to Florence will probably do a lot of walking, as we did. Having to climb over 70 steps, mostly through a grotty stairwell, every time we wanted to return to our room was disappointing, to say the least. The fact that the owners of the hotel thought that it was acceptable to put visitors staying for four days in a room that was so badly in need of a coat of paint was doubly disappointing. Other than that, the breakfast was nice, the service was nice and the room was clean. The unexpected €24 city tax that we were asked to pay in cash on our departure was a final unpleasant surprise.

Room Tip: I would advise anyone booking into this hotel to request a room in the main part of the hotel, to av...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John R
Brisbane
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This place is great! Massimo was fantastic, I had a problem getting car hire from the majors that wanted to charge a small fortune for a 4 day hire in July this year. Massimo took me around the corner and introduced me to the owner of a local company that offered me a small car for 1/5th the price I was quoted from the majors. The car was near new and perfect for what my wife and I needed to drive to Massimo’s and Susanna’s place in Tuscany. (this place will be reviewed soon)
The rooms at the Albion are very clean and comfortable, the service from the staff is first rate. Everything is within easy walking distance and there are plenty of restaurants nearby. Breakfast is fine and has a good selection on hand. The hotel is great value for money.
I will stay at the Albion again when next in Firenze, and would like to thank Massimo and his staff for making our stay so welcoming and enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple