“Great! But try to go out of season.”

Palazzo dal Borgo Hotel Aprile
Ranked #141 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Spent a week here in February (and I think you need a week to give Florence and the area any justice). We were given a room at the back (27); very comfortable with a big double bed and a good bathroom. One big plus point is the location; it's close to the sights and I found that, as an early riser, I was able to get up, go for a walk, take in a couple of the sights before things got busy and still be back in good time for breakfast. It's also handy for the bus and train stations (take the bus to Siena and visit the Duomo - this should be on everone's must visit list).
The only problem is that we found the area to be short of good, reasonably priced places to eat. The best we found was Alfredo sul Arno; go over the Ponte Vecchio and turn left.
Try to go out of season though; things were not too busy and we didn't have to queue for the Uffizi.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 December 2008

Aprille's location is perfect, close to the SMN and gave us the oppurtunity to fully explore florence. It's on the edge so we'd trek towards St.Croce and find multiple ways going back. The breakfast was awesome with Hot-dogs and ham with various jams, honeys and fruits. We left every morning full of food ready to battle the rain in the quest for the best trippa and pasta in florence.
The room even came with a coffee-maker which was replenished every day.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2008

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in Hotel Aprile. We found the staff to be helpful and reasonably friendly.
Our room at the rear of the Hotel (which we requested) was quiet, it had a good size bed, very clean and comfortable, the ensuite had a bath, hairdryer and toiletries.
Breakfast was plentiful with continental plus bacon and scrambled eggs, and the courtyard was a lovely relaxing start to the day.
Location was very good, away from the crowds, with at least one good restaurant nearby, Trattoria Sostanza - Troia, reservation recommended.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We just got back from 10 days in Italy. Loved this Florence hotel. It was immaculate and charming. The room was much bigger than anticipated and the beds were comfy cozy. They gave us room 64 which had a lovely view over rooftops and of Santa Maria Novella. Breakfast was standard. There was an outdoor garden with little orange trees that made it so nice to come back and just sit and relax our tired feet. The staff was incredibly attentive and patient with questions and making calls for us. Also, it was well situated to the sights-not so close that there were hordes of people at your doorstep. Most things were within a 15-20 minute walk. The church bells went off at 7 AM but I slept through it most of the time. I highly recommend this hotel and wouldn't think twice about staying there next time I am in Florence.

Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 22 October 2008

Have just come back from a four-day break at the Aprile in Florence and couldn't have been happier with it. It was spotlessly clean, the staff were great and it was a fab location, not too near the rowdy bits. We took the train from pisa to Florence so it was great to only have to walk around the corner to the hotel.

Had good breakfasts - plenty to fill up on for a busy day sightseeing. We easily managed to accommodate a non-dairy eater too without feeling hard done by.

Found the staff to be cheery and helpful. The afternoon receptionist booked our Uffizi tickets, which was a relief. All those queues can be a bit confusing!

Didn't think the bar prices were too steep - much of a par with the rest of the city really, which isn't cheap admittedly. There are some good restaurants and cafes within easy walking distance so you don't have to pay over the odds for a decent meal.

We'd asked for a room off the main street, having looked at tripadvisor before booking, and were given the lovely room 28, with great views of the historic Santa Maria Novella behind.

Only downside were the mossies, and that wasn't anyone's fault but my own because I didn't take a spray with me. There was a plug in deterrent supplied but it wasn't enough because I'm covered in bites! (the other half hasn't a mark on him!!) Would suggest people make sure they dose up on brewers yeast before heading out or spray daily while staying there.

Will definitely be looking to stay there again if we return to florence and wholeheartedly recommend. Enjoy...

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2008

Just back from a magical 3 nights in Florence with my three sisters. As in some previous reviews we were initially disappointed with the quadruple room we were given. It was actually two separate rooms, one was a wonderful large twin room but the other was quite small and gloomy with only a sofa bed and a narrow uncomfortable single. It just didn't seem fair for two of us to sleep in luxury while the others roughed it in the other room. We spoke with reception who promised to show us an alternative the next morning. After breakfast they showed us an enormous room with two double beds, much more what we were looking for and they were happy for us to change. They had thought the view would be more important to us than the room. Granted it was a spectacular view form the original room but not what we were after. From then on I have nothing but praise for the hotel, particularly it's staff who were exteremly helpful with making bookings for tickets etc.
Our second room was ground floor and at the front so we were expecting a lot of road noise etc but didn't find this to be the case at all, unless we're all very deep sleepers! As it's late in the season I suspect this is the reason why.
Breakfast was pretty good on the whole, again the staff were attentive and efficient. Usual continental fare was available as well as cereals, 2 hot dishes (eggs/bacon/sausages etc), croissants and rolls. Plentiful tea and coffee was served too.
The hotel location was very good, about 5 min walk from the station and about 10 mins to the centre.
Florence is one of the most beautiful cities I've visited and would highly recommend a visit. I'm not really one for museums (of which there are plenty) but there is so much else to see and do you will not get bored. I hope to go back there again and would gladly stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2008

On the whole, the hotel is okay but we did experience some difficulty, and although situated conveniently for the station and most of the sights, the hotel is not situtated in the most attractive part of Florence.

My two sisters and I had booked a triple room and had asked specifically for 3 single beds in a superior triple room. Upon arrival, we were shown into a room with twin beds and a sofa bed. Ok, I thought, the room is nice, so if the sofa bed is comfortable - no problem. However, upon sitting on it, I found it was hard and the mattress was so thin I could feel the hard structure straight through it. There was no way, any one of us middle aged women was going to get a good nights sleep on that! and to be honest I thought why sould we - we had paid for a triple bedded room! I suppose if you are a couple travelling with a child, this accommodation is ok, but for adults - no, sorry, its not acceptable. I rang reception and asked for a third 'proper bed' to be moved into the room but was told this was not possible as there were no staff available to bring a bed. After some considerable discussion, they agreed to give one of us a separate room but at an additional charge of 50 euros. Despite, my protestations, this was the best they could do and I eventually moved into a room on the first floor at the front of the hotel.

This room proved to be so noisy I wasnt able able to sleep. The windows were closed but the noise from the people on the street was so loud it was impossible to sleep. Laughing, shouting, girls screaching, motor scooters zooming up and down - it was awful. It eventually stopped about 3 am.

True to their word, the staff did show us another room first thing next morning which we moved into. The room was a twin room and a separate single room attached I must say however, that the bed in the single room was no where near as comfortable as the twin beds - hard, with a thin mattress and smaller than a standard single bed. We rotated the 'uncomfortable bed' between us for the rest of the stay as it appeared it was the best we could do.

I have stayed in numerous hotels in Florence over the years and have travelled extensively all over the world and I would have to say that for a 4 star hotel, we were generally disappointed with the facilities at the Aprile - there wasn't a turndown service in the evening nor any decent toiletries in the bathroom (they must be the only 4 star hotel still providing block soap instead of shower gel). And two coffee cups in a three bed room ??

Despite the problems we encounderred, the hotel does have its good points, the reception staff were great - always very pleasant and happy to help. They recommended some lovely restaurants and were very helpful with anything we asked them about local sights etc. The standards of cleanliness at the hotel are very high indeed and the staff who cleaned the rooms were always cheerful and friendly. By Italian standards, breakfast was very good. There was plenty of food and they even offered scrambled eggs etc which is quite rare in Italy.

I expect that if we had been a couple and had booked a double or twin room we would not have encountered these problems, but beware if you a booking a triple room, you are likely to have the same issues as we encountered because the Hotel Aprile does not appear to accept that a triple room means three beds of the same high quality in the same room.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family