“Authentic, convenient and excellent value”

Palazzo dal Borgo Hotel Aprile
Ranked #138 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I was booking in last fortnight and was primarily looking for somewhere luxurious, good value and close to Santa Maria Novella Stazione. I loved this place! Charming and historically authentic yet all the mod cons.Actually had tea and coffee making,TV and bar fridge.Bed was a bit hard but I had an excellent night sleep. Breakfast was great with cup of tea, fruits, cereals, cold meats, cheeses, breads, toast and yoghurts and jams,The service was excellent. Even got a special capuccino after my cup of tea.
Staff could speak English and were very helpful. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 April 2009

As stated, we booked this hotel through the Travelzoo promotion, which gave us rates of about 70 EURO per night. Apparently the hotel normally charges way more than that. I'm not so sure it's worth those normal prices, but it is a lovely hotel.

Tucked away about six blocks from the Duomo, and about three blocks from the train station (cutting through Piazza Santa Maria Novella), the Palazzo Dal Borgo does have some luxury to it. The outdoor patio with orange trees, lemon trees, and rose bushes. The breakfast room with the fresco above. The private patios on some ground floor rooms (although watch for ants coming in from the private patio... we left our door open to get some air in the room and ended up with ants everywhere in the room, including the bed, which the hotel promptly fixed for us).

Rooms were spacious, well-appointed. The true star was the huge marble bathroom with heated towel racks.

Front desk staff were friendly and helpful, but not necessarily outgoing. However, the hotel did help me surprise my wife for her birthday with a complimentary bottle of Prosecco and snacks in the garden. The breakfast attendant and bartender are both extremely friendly and gracious (the breakfast attendant noting that I looked particularly sleepy one morning and on his own bringing me a double shot of espresso).

Requested a quiet room and received a wonderfully quiet room that did not face the street. However, being so close to the Basilica di Santa Maria Novella, you will inevitably hear the bells tolling at 7:00 a.m. If this is a problem for you, bring earplugs.

As stated, there are probably hotels closer, but the Palazzo Dal Borgo was only about a 10-15 minute leisurely walk to the Duomo and the main historic districts and Piazzas of Florence. Plus, the area around the hotel is slightly less touristy than those areas which surround the Duomo. There are some nice restaurants tucked away in the surrounding neighborhood - ask the front desk for suggestions.

All told, a very enjoyable stay. Not sure it's worth the list rate, but for 70 EURO per night, even probably double that, it's absolutely worth it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MoCoMD
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Where to I begin? This is the friendliest, most welcoming hotel in which I've ever stayed. A recent 11 day trip to Italy included stays in Venice and Rome, as well as Florence, and while all three hotels were wonderful (thanks, in large part, to Tripadvisor), this place will forever be someplace special to my wife and me.

We took advantage of a great 70 euro rate offered by the hotel (it's offered fairly regularly, posted on another travel website) and couldn't have been happier. Three blocks from the train station (though not well marked; I'm not sure I would have found it if not for Google earth "man on the street" view), the hotel is within walking distance of everything in Florence. Our room was spacious, very clean, very comfortable, and had an impressively large (and nice) bathroom. Our room faced the front, and, as many have noted, it was a bit loud at times, but we were sleeping with the window wide open. When we closed the window, the noise almost disappeared. While that might be an issue for some, for us, it was not a big deal.

Breakfast is served by a friendly, very professional staff, and included meats, eggs, cheeses, fruit, rolls, yogurt, cereal and great coffee.

But the standout feature of the hotel is their gracious hospitality. I travel fairly regularly, and I have never met this kind of welcome. While not overly enthusiastic or "perky" in their dealings with guests, the staff displayed a genuinely caring and helpful demeanor. I don't think we ever left or came back to the hotel without a smile and a greeting (by name), they welcomed--and came through with-- a last minute request for tickets to the Galleria dell'Accademia (which I had tried to purchase online before we left the USA, but couldn't get the order to go through), and, in one of the nicest gestures I've ever encountered in all my travels, delivered a bottle of champagne to our our room as a gift, after we'd casually mentioned that this was a 25th wedding anniversary trip.

I realize that everyone's travels are singular; that which strikes one as sublime, simply misses the mark with someone else (though the Uffizi is one of the world's greatest art gallery, for me, after a long day of walking--including climbing to the top of the the Duomo--it was underwhelming...Galleria Borghese, in Rome, on other hand.....), but for us, the Hotel Aprile was almost perfect.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crango
Reviewed 9 April 2009

i was so pleased to have booked this place. Albeit a bit hard to find as no signage except a small plaque on the wall. Also there seems to be a lot of reconstruction going in in the area.
i was impressed with my room, view of Santa maria novella from bathroom. loved the heated towel bars in the bathroom. It allowed me to wash out some clothes and dry them overnight.Such a pretty room too.
I was pleasantly surprised at the breakfast spread. Such a variety. The staff were great. I learned quickly to have the desk staff make a reservation at the galleries.
just loved it. such a handy spot too.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank laegirl
Reviewed 31 March 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Aprile from March 11 to March 22. We were visiting our daughter who is studying for the semester in Florence. Although I consult Trip Advisor all the time before traveling (and we travel frequently), I have never taken the time to write a review--well I am taking the time now. We originally booked for 3 nights figuring that we would rent a car and drive through Tuscany. The hotel was so conveniently located (near the train and bus stations) and our room was so charming the lovely that we decided to stay for 10 nights total. We took the train to Lucca, Fiersole, Assissi, San Giang (oh I forget the spelling), and the bus to Sienna. All were close enough to enjoy the train ride and have plenty of time to sightsee. The Italians know how to live. I've been back over a week and am still experiencing withdrawl! We stayed in Room 67 which was on the top floor--and E.M. Forster would appreciate that we had a room with a view. My husband is 6'4", so footboards present a problem for us. We had a king-sized bed and a good-sized marble bathroom with a bidet, modern shower, and heated towel rack. I think some of the other rooms are bigger, but ours was quiet and spacious enough for two. Andrea greeted us every morning and served the best cup of cappucino(s) to start our day--and there ARE frescoes in the breakfast room. We found the hotel staff to be very professional, and the hotel to be very quiet. The weather was lovely, and there are several places to eat within a five to ten minute walk.

Reviews are always based on what someone expects, so know that my husband and I are travellers, we are not tourists--and we don't have the inclination or budget for the Ritz Carlton type of experience, so read my comments with that in mind. For the most part, we look for places that have charm and character, and that are clean, safe, and in a good location. The Hotel Aprile more than met our expectations. I found their service to be first rate--professional and hospitable. Fresh toiletries and coffee and tea in the room everyday. We'll be back. This was one of our nicest vacations ever, and we hope you enjoy Italy as much as we did!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JerseyGirl051
Reviewed 26 March 2009

The Hotel Aprile is on a rather unpreposessing street but apart from that it wonderfully located very close to the railway station (handy for trains to Pisa Airport) and the bus stations (handy for getting out of the city to Siena etc). It is also just a minutes walk from Santa Maria Novella and a further few minutes from the Duomo.
The hotel itself is full of character (even TS Elliot said he enjoyed his stay there!) with an amazing dining room and lounge. The rooms are on the small side (but then the building is over 500 years old) but they have all that you would need. Following advice from an earlier review we emailed ahead and booked room 28 which must have the best view in the hotel. It is on the top floor at the rear and has the most amazing view out over the terracotta rooftops to Santa Maria Novella and the mountains beyond Florence. The downside is that the bells ring at 7am (and again at 7.15 in case you overslept) but it gives you the opportunity to get up and out for an early start to see the sights! Breakfast is very good and the staff very friendly and helpful.
On the downside (minor points) there seem to be quite a lot of mosquitoes, but they provide repellants. Also, I was not overly impressed with the room cleaning as it took several days to replace our toiletries and they sometimes forgot to give us milk with the tea and coffee in the room.
Overall, the hotel was very good indeed and you certainly do feel like it is a bit of 'old world' luxury in the heart of beautiful Florence. It was worth the money alone to have a 'Room with a View' which made me feel like Helena Bonham Carter when I threw back the shutters!
For other poor Brits suffering with the weak Pound and strong Euro, we discovered the Trattoria de George which offered a good set meal of two courses with wine, water, bread and service all included for just 12 Euros. To find it go right out of the hotel and left down the first road to the end. Turn right past the Disco and it is on the right hand side.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2009

just back from 4 days in florence, staying at the hotel aprile. this was a joint birthday present to my sister and i; we went together, to actually spend some time together which can be difficult with growing families.
from the aeroporto at pisa to the SMN railway station in florence is an easy journey, once we worked out how to read the timetable we had downloaded that is - you must buy your train ticket from the ticket place which is located on the left just before you leave the concourse from the airport - and don't forget that you have to authenticate your tickets before boarding - the little yellow machines; then a short walk to the hotel from the railway station.
we found the location to be very good as it was peaceful and yet a few steps brought us in to more bustling restaurant, gallery and church areas.
the reception area is neat and modest - (one (UK) hotel i stayed in last year had a spectacular and very flashy modern reception/bar area but all the money obviously spent there and not on the rooms which were dire) so a modest, well-organised and friendly reception was very welcome.
i had said in my booking that we wanted a twin room, not a double, as we were sisters - and we were given a little suite, room 68, with a lovely double room and a very good single room, plus a beautiful marble bathroom (shower, loo, bidet and basin, plus lots of space to put things) this gave us tremendous space and it was also really good to have our own rooms. we found the beds very comfortable and everything totally clean. the furnishings were very fitting and charming
breakfast was excellent with lots of choice and the bar area was very relaxing for a swift gin cocktail before setting off for the evening
reception will book uffizi etc for you and restaurants - probably anything you reasonably could ask for - we were made welcome by the restaurant they booked for us on the sunday eve (many restaurants are closed on sunday evenings, or at least at this time of the year they are, so booking is a pretty good idea)
reception is manned 24 hours and we never had to wait for a receptionist to appear whatever time we went in to the reception area.
my sister and i had a wonderful time and loved florence - we will come back and i shall also come for a visit with my boyfriend (yeah, he and i are in our 50's but he's still my boyfriend!) and i wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else. time is too precious to waste in sampling various hotels once you've found one which suits so well
annie