“My Study Abroad Home was great!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Florence
Pensione Sorelle Bandini
Ranked #318 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 October 2007

I stayed here for 6 weeks with a study abroad program through my school. We all realy enjoyed getting to know the staff. Breakfast was always very simple, but satisfactory. Dinner was good most of the time, with the pasta dish being excellent every time. I reccommend staying in one of the rooms with the private bathroom. The people in my group who had to use the public bathroom were always waiting longer for shower and toliet, and usually didn't have hot water either. My room had the private bath, and therefore my roommates and I never had a problem with warm water, or using the toliet. The only complaint I have about the staff is with the maids. They knew zero English and we had an incident where some of our towels turned up missing as well as someone's personal camera. So word to the wise would be to lock up your valuables at all times.

Stayed: May 2005
2  Thank iutraveler2005

Paris, France
Reviewed 23 March 2006

Went there 1989 when I was 18. Got very friendly with a boy named Laurence. Went there again 5 years later and had an argument with Laurence. Went there on honeymoon with Laurence in 1999. We'll take the kids there some time soon.

• Stayed: December 1999
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 23 October 2005

We stayed at Bandini for 2 days. Although on a limited traffic square the noise was unbelieveable. There was a market every day and the merchants started setting up at 7am. The square was a hangout at night - complete with people yelling and police activity. On our second day we did not receive fresh towels (which were not much better than a wash cloth) nor did we receive any new soap - which had run out. The breakfast was not worth going to - as it was a piece of bread with some jelly. When checking out there was no one who spoke english to help us arrange for a taxi. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Cruz CA
Reviewed 28 September 2005

We stayed at the Pensione for 3 days before our departure. The rooms were nice and big with a very rustic feel. The shared bathroom was ok but could have used a couple of minor repairs.
Excellent balcony, a nice place for people to sit and enjoy the late afternoon sun.
Just a little overpriced for what you get.
Also, if you like to sleep...do not get room 3 as it was a party outside our window every night. Seems like the "party piaza".

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 21 March 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Pensione Sorelle Bandini and found it charming with its huge, ramshackle balconies and cozy communal areas.
It was a nice refuge from the hustle and bustle of Florence while still feeling tied to it, as you are constantly looking at gorgeous views of the green hills of Fiesole, the Arno, and from our room, the Duomo...The shared bathroom was only problematic one morning when what seemed like a herd of elephants inhabited it for a full hour and a half (I think they were French, just kidding...), but otherwise this was fine.I loved the breakfast room on the roof! Magical!All in all, a comfortable place to stay for a night or two; a bit like staying at an old, eccentric aunt's house...

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Omaha, NE
Reviewed 20 October 2003

The Pensione Sorelle Bandini was indeed charming, and the loggia was a wonderful place to relax with a bottle of wine after a long day walking around Florence (and dodging motor scooters!). It is conveniently located a few blocks from the Pitti, and then on across the Ponte Vecce from the Uffizi. (We also found a great internet cafe on Piazza Pitti, called Internet Pitti.)

However, the price we paid for a room with the bathroom across the hall seemed a bit steep at $108 Euro/night in late September, even with the light Italian breakfast (see Oct. 2002 review) included. To their credit, they did round it down to 100 Euro/night when we expressed our concern.

If it is charm that you seek regardless of the price tag, then I highly recommned this Pensione. But if you're seeking a better deal for accommodations in Florence, keep looking.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 October 2002

Pensione Sorelle Bandini was the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at. The communal areas are amazing. Large windowed rooms with fantastic views all over the city. The furniture is faded and original but that adds to the charm. The pensione has a loggia running along two sides of the building which is wide and great for having a glasss of wine on when you return home. owever do not go expecting comfort!
The first night we stayed in room 3, which does not have its own bathroom (hardly any do), you share with a few other rooms. This was fine except there was no hot water. The next two nights we stayed in room 11 which did have its own bathroom for which you pay more, again no hot water. despite many complaints the water was never fixed during our stay. Luckily one of the two communial shower rooms did have hot water so we had to walk to the other side of the hotel and fight for its use with all the other residents.
Towels of any quantity or large size also seemed to be few and far between.

Another disadvantage we found was the lack of heating, or heating being turned on. The rooms are so big that it is rather cold and uncosy.

There is no double glazing so you will be woken every morning at around 7.30am by bells of many varieties and strengths from many different churches!

Breakfast was pathetic, just biscuits and bread. No ham, cheese or meat. Just a few jams.

On leaving the hotel no apology was made for the lack of hot water and they still tried to charge me for the private bathroom even though it was useless!

I'd say good for young people with a hardy spirit, but not for those who like their comforts.

The staff were saying this though very friendly if indeed ineffectual!

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Pitti
Hotel Restaurant  La Scaletta
Hilton Florence Metropole
#153 of 410 in Florence

Been to Pensione Sorelle Bandini? Share your experiences!