“An Awesome Experience”
Review of Hotel Bigallo

Hotel Bigallo
Ranked #173 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Everything was great! We stayed for 9 days and found the hotel staff was friendly and helpful at all times. Breakfast and coffee was good and the views were great. We will be booking for next year soon. We took the train to Lucca one day, the bus to Fiesole another day, and a van to Siena, San Gimignano, and wine tasting ($200.00E for 8 people). Florence itself has planty to do the rest of the time.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 October 2009

You have already gathered that this Hotel has a great location. Overlooking Duomo...how much closer do you want ????
The reception is on the 3rd floor and it has a small lift thankfully. The reception room was amazingly decorated and the views from its window even more breathtaking. We had booked a normal double room, again wonderfully decorated , fresh, clean and newish but so small. When we heard another couple ask for an upgrade, so did we, however they were fully booked. We paid 187 Euro per night so when I read the last review at a cheaper price for a much larger room, I am envious. We re arranged the furniture so that our 2 large suitcases could fit. We are out sightseeing all day anyway, but a little extra space would have been nice.
The bathroom though smallish as in many hotels was lovely and new and clean.
The breakfast was in a lovely area and fine.
The beauty of Florence is that everything is so close , that you could pop back into the Hotel to drop off things or to rest.
The staff were polite and helpful.
We found this a great Hotel in a fabulous spot.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I do recommend this hotel if you want to overlook Duomo from window!
I coudn't believe the location which was too close to Duomo when I found this hotel.
It was lovely surprise we had when the staff allowed us to enter the room
and opened the window for us!! You can see my pictures.
You can get up with the rings from Duomo.

The public waiting room and our private room ware decolated really lovely, romantic
and elegant , perhaps in Italian style. Our room had a big bed on second floor using
footsteps inside the room. Bathroom was very clean for us, Japanese;)

The breakfast was also satisfying with croissants, sereals, various kinds of coffe like capptino from automatic machines, juice etc.

That must be a big deal with venere.com as we stayed this hotel for two nights with only 132 EUR. Definetely reasonable!!!
I'd come back this hotel when I go to Florence next time.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Got a great rate through the hotel´s own bebsite, but since I had an expiring coupon to hotels.com, booked though them. We received a somewhat cold reception when asking for a bab crib and were told it needed to be booked beforehand. Well, left bags and came back later only to find out that they managed to get the crib, despite giving me hard time initially. Service in Italy varies a lot and they seem somewhat snobbish at times. Only at check-in were they cold. After that all were very nice. Maybe it was because I booked through hotels.com and got a very low rate? Who knows and cares?

Room was great, spacious and clean. From the bathtub you could see the Duomo across the square. Brekkie was good too. All one can expect in Italy. No eggs or any other hot items as in England or Scandinavia. But completely adequate. It´s a small family run place after all. They canno´t operate a full kitchen.

Overall stay was excellent. Florence was right in your footsteps and who stays in a hotel room when in Italy in late spring?

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank FannyPackFan
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Hotel Bigallo is the perfect place to stay for a city break. It has to be one of
the best locations in the city. It has clean rooms, the service is friendly - just
a good family-run 3 star, no frills hotel. The access to it via an antiquated lift is interesting!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank HebeOxford_UK
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I loved this hotel. I was traveling with my two daughters, we stayed in the hotel Bigallo for four nights. We had a beautiful view of the Duomo. It has a great location, everything is with in walking distance even the train station. The rooms were very clean, well decorated and large for a European hotel. The staff was very nice, breakfast was very good with lots of choices. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Florance and would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2008

I tend to visit Florence once a year and and on this visit, I wanted somewhere central and convenient for myself and, more importantly, my girlfriend's parents who came with us.
In that respect, Hotel Bigallo is great. It is right opposite the Duomo and so you are about as central as you could be.
That in itself causes a problem in that the Duomo bells ring out very early in the morning, preventing a nice sleep in if that's what a holiday means to you.
The two rooms we had were almost identical - clean and tidy and well decorated without being lavish, and with showers instead of bath/shower combos. We took internal rooms to minimise the noise which helped deaden the crowd hum but, obviously, not the bells.
Breakfast ran from 730-930, so again, not ideal if you wanted a lazy morning. The tables were slow to be cleared so we had to clear them ourselves to get somewhere to sit, and chase the staff for glasses, cutlery and for the various buffet plates to be replenished, which wasn't ideal. Breakfast was basic cereals, rolls and croissants and hams and cheese, which did the job, but I found the staff to be not always available when, at breakfast time, this was key.
Most of the staff were friendly and, when I requested an extra pillow and for a shower in one of our rooms to be looked at, this was checked and fixed while we were out for the day.
One elder gentleman was particularly lacking in customer relations courtesy though, which didn't impress me.
All in, if you want somewhere central at a reasonable price, this is a good, modest choice.
When I go away though, I expect someone to be available in the morning and evening if I have any queries, and I don't expect to have to chase breakfast myself, especially at these prices. Nor do I expect to be told off by an old man for asking for basic cutlery.
So if you don't care about breakfast and either wake very early or take earplugs, this is a sound choice.
If not.....