“OK but not outstanding” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #138 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Gold Coast
“OK but not outstanding”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

This recently renovated hotel was OK, but seemed to be lacking some personality. The lift is the smallest I've ever seen! The reception area is very small too - especially when a group is checking in or out. Breakfast quite good. The staff were off-hand and not overly helpful - it felt like we were interrupting their day. The room itself was nicely decorated, but the window opened onto a half finished rooftop access area. Location is good - right near Santa Maria Novella station. We couldn't hear the trains inside the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor - that way you can use the stairs instead of waiting for the tiny...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I was here for four nights and though the hotel does have a few positives it also has negatives that made my stay unenjoyable. Let's start with the positives: the hotel is right next to the train station and right around the corner from where the bus tours I had booked, departed - extremely convenient. It's also a short stroll to all the sights you might want to see. Though the outside street is less than pleasant - rubbish bins, questionable people milling around, but once you step into the hotel, it's nice and relaxing. The other positive is that the hotel is quite modern and feels quite fresh. The single room I had was spacious enough and comfortable, however there were major faults with the room as well - I will list them shortly. Now let's move to the negatives. When I arrived the front desk staff didn't even greet me with a smile - I must say most people who work there appear grumpy and uninterested. I am very big on customer service and I really felt let down. I even had to ask for the city map and ask again to hear what places of interest I was to check out - again, zero interest from front desk staff. The other major negative is the fact that the airconditioning in the room simply doesn't work 9 out of 10 times I tried to use it. The first room I was given - I turned it on and it was so noisy I immediately asked for a change of room. In the second room however the air conditioning refused to work. I alerted the front desk - but no one ever came to assist me. The window in the room was bolted so I couldn't even open that to get some air. On one occasion I literally had the front door open to cool off. I spent 4 nights in a sauna. Just unacceptable. The hair dryer in my room was also faulty - would shut off after a minute of use - I literally couldn't even dry my hair. After two days of asking that to be looked at I finally got anothe hairdryer brought in. To top it all off - the walls in the room are paper thin. I could hear the next door neighbours use the bathroom!!!!!! Unacceptable. I was quite disappointed. For the star rating the hotel is - these issues should not be there. I am a frequent traveller and I would say to those thinking of staying - if you want to be close to the train station and in a "modern" hotel - stay for a night, but if you are staying longer - I would recommend to look elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BlondeBunny
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

As others have stated not much form outside. Once inside it has most of what you want from a hotel. Only gripes - no bar or restaurant ( you have to use sister hotel round the corner. No tea/coffee making facilities in room ( this is poor for any hotel). ask for iron - always available
Good location - walking distance of everywhere and very close to station.
Clean and good quality fittings in the room.
Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast to meet everybody's needs.

Room Tip: Definitely get a rear room. Front can be noisy late weekends
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank minexco
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed with our 10 year old son for a short Easter Break. As other people have said, from the outside, Hotel Club dose not look very inviting. However, most hotels in Florence do appear from the outside to be uninviting. We were very surprised when we went inside. It was clean, modern and the staff friendly.

The hotel is very well located by the train & bus terminals (across the road). There is a pleasant walk into the centre of Florence which takes about 10 minutes, past shops, cafes etc.

We stayed in room 205. The room was a good size, clean and very comfortable. The only negative was that there needs to be a shelf in the bathroom. Because it was a "wet room " the floor got very wet (especially with our 10 year old) and we had to store our wash bags on top of the loo.

It would be nice if there was coffee and tea facilities in the room, or available in the hotel during the day, however there are two cafes within 20 meters of the hotel entrance, so easily available.

The room needs a little TLC where mouldings were coming off the door, but nothing a maintenance man could not fix in an hour.

The breakfast buffet was plentiful and really nice, although a bit of a "bun fight" when busy.

We did not notice any undue noise from other guests that other reviewers have commented on. We may well have lucked out on our room choice. All of our walls were solid. There is a bit of road noise, but being in the middle of Florence we can accept that.

If you are staying three days then I would recommend a Firenze card. This give your free, priority access to most museums and attractions for 72 hours for 72euro's. No standing in line for us. We saw more museums with the card than I think we would have done had we had a two hour que and a 15euro entry fee. My son was free in all museums.

I would recommend this hotel. It was good value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jae1507
suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

When you first see the hotel from the street it doesn't look like much but the interior has been decorated to a high standard and everything is clean crisp and modern. The buffet breakfast is truly lovely probable one of the best I've ever had on the continent. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help. The only minor issue we had was the bed. We booked a double bed and got two single mattresses pushed together. It seems to be an issue across the whole of Europe though so I can't really single out this hotel for criticism on that point. All the sights of Florence five minutes walk away so very convenient

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We spent 3 nights at this well-located hotel. The decor was dated and the breakfast was very average. However the staff were always helpful and they tried hard to make our stay a pleasant one.

Candy W

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I can really recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit Florence. The hotel is situated perfectly right next to the train station, and with all the main tourist sites within walking distance it is the ideal location for the perfect vacation. The rooms are very well decorated and enjoyable with comfortable beds, the staff is very helpful and the breakfast is good value. The only possible downside I experienced, was that the wifi didn't always manage to function in my room, but who cares about that when you're in Florence anyway? I'm longing to return, and will absolutely make sure to do so anytime soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Frans S
CapoStruttura, Resident Manager at Hotel Club Florence, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest,

we thank you for the time spent to write about your experience in our Hotel.
The review of our Guests are very important for us in order to improve our quality standard and to understand if our job meet the satisfaction of our clients.
Hoping to welcoming You again in our Hotel, the management and all the staff remain,

Yours Faithfully.