“Italian fawlty towers ”

Hotel Club Florence
Ranked #135 of 411 Hotels in Florence
“Italian fawlty towers ”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I would NOT recommend this hotel, pros and cons below.

Pros
1. Clean
2. Close to the station

Cons
1. Dismissive staff, not helpful at all. Everytime we asked a question it was a one word answer with no eye contact
2. Poor breakfast. Quality of the food was not good compared to the rest of the trip. Poor selection for people with allergies. No gluten free options.
3. You could hear everything in the room! We were woken up constantly. We could even hear other people take showers. We did not want to bother to ask to change rooms as it seems other rooms had the same problem.
4. On our last morning at around 8am we were woken (again, by this time we were used to it! ) as we heard screaming and banging from the hallway which did not stop. My girlfriend went out in her pajamas and we found a housekeeper stuck in the lift. My girlfriend stayed there as I got dressed in the room to get reception. As I was getting dressed two hotel staff members came, they did not even say thank you to us or sorry for the noise.
5. When we checked out my girlfriend payed the city tax 32 Euro. We gave the receptionist 52 Euro and he gave her a receipt back but to our recollection we did not get any change (who knows maybe he did by this point we were so sleep deprived!). The problem was more so the receptionists attitude, little did they know my girlfriend speaks fluent Italian and over heard them complaining about her. So we left just wanting to get out by this point.

I would recommend staying at the Astoria, much better service!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for our trip to Italy. I have a few food allergies including gluten and sugars (lactose, fructose etc).

All the other hotels in Italy have been so helpful at breakfast they always boiled an egg for me or had some gluten free or dairy free products that I could eat that were low in sugar.

There was not one thing I could eat at breakfast which was completely fine so that first morning I went out bought some gluten free bread and put some tuna on it.

When I came back I asked reception if they were able to boil me an egg the next morning or if they had any gluten free products as we were leaving at 7am for a tour the next morning. The older man at reception told me that Italians don't have eggs for breakfast so they didn't serve eggs. So I then asked if he knew of anywhere where I could buy some gluten free products for the morning of if they had any for me... I got a one word answer "no".

The next few days I spent in my room eating crackers and tuna that I bought from the super market and I would then go down to breakfast and watch my partner eat. Not a very nice experience at all.

Coming from a hospitality management background for 8 years I found the staff here to be very dismissive and unhelpful. Although in saying that the gentlemen that checked us in was lovely and friendly, it's just a pity he wasn't their for the rest of our trip.

I noticed that the staff would rarely great their guests with a smile either. I got one the whole stay which was at check in.

The positives are that the hotel is located very close to the station and it is really easy to get to the centre of town!

The room was very modern and always very clean. However there is no sound proofing on the rooms so we were often woken up in the middle of the night from other guests showering (yes you can here their water running), opening doors or talking.

All in all I would not choose to stay here again purely because of the service.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Julz S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Good value central hotel.
Easy walk to the centre of Florence.
The only down side is that there was a bit of a scramble for breakfast. It is basically a self service table in the entrance hall. There was only one waitress and guests were having to set their own tables after standing and waiting for one of the few tables to become free.
On a more positive, the gentleman at reception was extremely helpful and informative.
There is car parking. €28 a night. It is not next to the hotel and someone comes to pick your car up and drops it back when you need it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Soo1000
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Our first room was on the front side across from the elevator - with the door shut you could still hear the elevator squeaking so loudly it would never allow us to get any sleep. My husband for the first time ever requested a change - which they made without any issues. We were grateful until we laid down on that bed - they are lumpy and hard, and the pillows are the same - we got no sleep and couldn't wait to get out of there. Yes, it's near the train station, but go down a block or two - it will be worth the extra steps. The water from the shower ran all over the floor because the drainage is horrible, the elevator couldn't be smaller, and the staff was not friendly. Thankfully we were only spending one night just passing through - unfortunately we had booked a non-refundable room, but fortunately, it was just the one night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side far away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa S
Gold Coast
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This recently renovated hotel was OK, but seemed to be lacking some personality. The lift is the smallest I've ever seen! The reception area is very small too - especially when a group is checking in or out. Breakfast quite good. The staff were off-hand and not overly helpful - it felt like we were interrupting their day. The room itself was nicely decorated, but the window opened onto a half finished rooftop access area. Location is good - right near Santa Maria Novella station. We couldn't hear the trains inside the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor - that way you can use the stairs instead of waiting for the tiny...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I was here for four nights and though the hotel does have a few positives it also has negatives that made my stay unenjoyable. Let's start with the positives: the hotel is right next to the train station and right around the corner from where the bus tours I had booked, departed - extremely convenient. It's also a short stroll to all the sights you might want to see. Though the outside street is less than pleasant - rubbish bins, questionable people milling around, but once you step into the hotel, it's nice and relaxing. The other positive is that the hotel is quite modern and feels quite fresh. The single room I had was spacious enough and comfortable, however there were major faults with the room as well - I will list them shortly. Now let's move to the negatives. When I arrived the front desk staff didn't even greet me with a smile - I must say most people who work there appear grumpy and uninterested. I am very big on customer service and I really felt let down. I even had to ask for the city map and ask again to hear what places of interest I was to check out - again, zero interest from front desk staff. The other major negative is the fact that the airconditioning in the room simply doesn't work 9 out of 10 times I tried to use it. The first room I was given - I turned it on and it was so noisy I immediately asked for a change of room. In the second room however the air conditioning refused to work. I alerted the front desk - but no one ever came to assist me. The window in the room was bolted so I couldn't even open that to get some air. On one occasion I literally had the front door open to cool off. I spent 4 nights in a sauna. Just unacceptable. The hair dryer in my room was also faulty - would shut off after a minute of use - I literally couldn't even dry my hair. After two days of asking that to be looked at I finally got anothe hairdryer brought in. To top it all off - the walls in the room are paper thin. I could hear the next door neighbours use the bathroom!!!!!! Unacceptable. I was quite disappointed. For the star rating the hotel is - these issues should not be there. I am a frequent traveller and I would say to those thinking of staying - if you want to be close to the train station and in a "modern" hotel - stay for a night, but if you are staying longer - I would recommend to look elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank BlondeBunny
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

As others have stated not much form outside. Once inside it has most of what you want from a hotel. Only gripes - no bar or restaurant ( you have to use sister hotel round the corner. No tea/coffee making facilities in room ( this is poor for any hotel). ask for iron - always available
Good location - walking distance of everywhere and very close to station.
Clean and good quality fittings in the room.
Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast to meet everybody's needs.

Room Tip: Definitely get a rear room. Front can be noisy late weekends
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple