“Excellent location, very pretty place”

Hotel Locanda Orchidea
Ranked #213 of 421 Hotels in Florence
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, very pretty place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in room 6 and thought it was great. Location is superb, round the corner from the cathedral. Room overlooked lovely courtyard so was very quiet despite being in the centre of Florence. The only downside is lack of private bathroom - but we knew this beforehand so fine and there's no fly screen on the window so we got bitten to buggery with the window ajar. But def stop here again. Thank you for a lovely stay Miranda.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

romantic, gorgeous, cozy, central, friendly, clean, beautiful little hostel. great value. we stayed here and decided to change our trip so that we could continue to come home to our beautiful little room. Im serious. we loved it so much!

• Stayed August 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

As someone wrote, staying at Locanda Orchidea is like being at home. It is not unusual since in many European cities, an inns or lodging may be in someone's home. Orchidea offers accommodation (only, no breakfast) on two floors of an antique apartment block, in the city centre of Florence. The location is a block from Proconsolo, half-way between the Duomo and Palazzo Vecchio, very close to many of the sights, museums and attractions.

My room faced the street, while some of the rooms (I peeked) had a view of the courtyard garden. The room had a sink, windows that opened and ceiling fan with remote control. These came in handy in hot, mid July. The shared bathroom next door to my room was large, clean, with huge frosted window. I have to say there were a lot of feminine touches at Orchidea, including a skirt around my sink, floral prints on my bed cover, weighing scale in the bathroom etc. The access to the apartment is through huge wooden doors, then by stairs or a "cage" elevator. There is a small living room, just like in anyone's home with a tv set, books, magazine, kettle for tea, sofa etc.

Unfortunately, as someone had also written about, down the street is a little piazza with an Irish pub that attracted hordes of young Americans. The kids spilled out on to the streets, boisterous, screaming, singing until 4 am as if they owned the streets. I had mentioned this to the landlady, Miranda. The next day, she called the authorities and they stopped. From what I gathered, the owner of the pub will meet with the city hall to discuss how to control this kind of behaviour.

Other than the noise (and lack of sleep on account of), Orchidea is very handy, as expected from an inn, comfortable, and pretty laid back. On the street below, lots of places to eat, drink (I recommend Tratoria Le Massace on the corner of Proconsolo/Borgo degli Albizi.)

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet, and have windows that open to the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JABuenafe
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

My wife and I traveled to Italy with our son and two friends and we stayed at the Hotel Orchidea for four nights. With both two rooms facing the courtyard we enjoyed a peaceful, quiet sleep every night and woke up with a private view of our own renaissance garden.

The room we took had its own sink and shower which was really nice but there were two shared washrooms for the rest of this boutique hotel so waiting was rarely a factor.

Our hosts were available and accommodating at every turn. The common sitting area was warmly furnished with leather couches, books and travel brochures which was a great place to group and prepare for the next adventure. We had become accustomed to hotels with flights of stairs resembling a climb up Mount Everest so it was a pleasant surprise to access our hotel with a single flight.

The location was was a fantastic mix that was close enough to everything yet far enough from the crowds. You could reach Santa Croce, the Duomo, the Uffizi and the Ponte Vecchio by foot in a matter of minutes by stepping out into the pedestrian-only street in front of the hotel. About 30 paces from the front door was one of the finest gelato shops (Rivareno) in Italy so how could you go wrong? We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Lovely place. Great location. If you want to sleep in the rooms facing the street wear some very good ear-plugs and get home late. There's a popular bar right outside which is open to 2.30am and had lots of loud, drunk, young tourists sitting outside talking at volume. The street also has fantastic acoustics so it amplifies the sound.

It looked like a quiet street from the outside but believe me it went all night. After the bar closed people wandered up and down all night. We also stayed mid-week so it wasn't a weekend thing. Even with ear-plugs I didn't sleep much.

Nice room, nice staff, good price, pity about the noise.

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the street!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank artvoid
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

This was a terrible experience in terms of the accommodations. The service was fine.

The room was tiny, which was not really a problem, but the door was glass with a flimsy lace curtain. Therefore, any time anyone turned on the light in the hall, it shone through my room and woke me up.

I also had a large window in my room. I reluctantly shut it to keep out mosquitoes and noise, which also kept out fresh air -- but it didn't actually reduce the noise. I don't know how a hotel in an empty alley can be so noisy, but I was on the "second" floor (that's third for Americans) and I could hear every word of some people sitting in a cafe somewhere.

However, Miranda was nice and reserved a taxi for me.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Stephanie T
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I will admit that one of the major reasons that I booked this hotel is because I speak no Italian and I knew the hotel was run by a native English speaker. I was really pleasantly surprised by how nice the accommodations were. The biggest downside was no a/c but our room did have a powerful ceiling fan. With that fan dialed up to max it was like being in a wind tunnel and made the heat tolerable even during the middle of the day. The hotel was very quiet while we were there. We did not even see another guest until the night before we left. I remember comments about the staff not being present all the time. While this was true, they were very efficient and the owner lives on the floor above the hotel and was available as needed. The security was very good in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends