“Comforts of home in Florence”

Hotel Locanda Orchidea
Ranked #187 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I just stayed at Hotel Orchidea and had a lovely stay. Staff was warm and hospital, rooms were cozy and I felt at home--especially when I ran into Miranda and her cute dog Maya. I received much better quality of service than staying at a generic hotel.

As a young woman traveling by herself, I felt extremely safe and comfortable in the hotel's location which is close to everything in Florence including some delicious pizza and gelato shops!

Miranda (and Sylvania) was so kind to me and I wish I could have moved in! It was a pleasure to call Hotel Orchidea home for 4 nights and I hope to go back the next time I'm in Florence.

-Sara

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 11 November 2012

This place is pretty darn central. Only a few minutes walk from the Duomo and about a 30 minute walk from the train station. You're on an old street in old Florence. You can walk to pretty much any part of Florence from here. At the end of the street is a pretty happening little piazza with great restaurants and even clubs.
The place itself has more of a hostel-y feel, because you have shared bathrooms. The rooms on the street can get noisy, but with the window closed you hardly hear anything.
I loved it, it was prefect for our travel style.

Room Tip: On the street is pretty noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael Dino C
Reviewed 8 November 2012

On the positive side : perfect location, lot of charm, great value (50€/night in the center)

Howaever, it is worth mentionning that it has a "hostel" feel (shared bathroom), and our room on the street was noisy, which must be a bigger problem in the summer.

Anyway, this was perfect for our style of travel, but it may not fit everyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zeitblom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

It is like a hostal. In the middle of all the important places to visit. Noisy at nights, but they give you ear plugs and works perfect. It has a very good price. Felt very cozy: i want to go back again!! Ismari

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 10 October 2012

We recently had our second stay at the Orchidea and it was as lovely as the first. This time we had my 78-year-old mum with us and I was unsure how she'd go with the shared bathroom - but everything was so scrupulously clean there wasn't a problem. The rooms have a really authentic and relaxed italian style and the view over the garden is magic. The white sheets were crisp and the towels white & fluffy. The pillows ad mattress were also better than I've had at more expensive hotels. The location for access to the museums and shopping is perfect. The staff are super helpful and will make reservations for you at the museums, provide map and tour brochures/ideas if you're stuck. If I'm lucky enough to get to Florence again I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden if possible.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2012

This was our second stay at Locanda Orchidea and if we return to Florence we will stay here again. On both occasions we have found it clean and comfortable and the owner and staff have been really helpful. The location is great - on a small but vibrant street, a stone's throw from the Duomo. On both our stays we have had a room to the rear of the hotel, where it is really peaceful. One of the things we especially liked was the provision of a kettle, tea and coffee, and small fridge in the communal area - which meant we could pop back and make a nice cup of tea when all the sightseeing got too much! The bathrooms are shared but we found that they were always clean and we didn't have to wait to get into the shower in the morning. All in all a great find.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in room 6 and thought it was great. Location is superb, round the corner from the cathedral. Room overlooked lovely courtyard so was very quiet despite being in the centre of Florence. The only downside is lack of private bathroom - but we knew this beforehand so fine and there's no fly screen on the window so we got bitten to buggery with the window ajar. But def stop here again. Thank you for a lovely stay Miranda.

• Stayed: September 2012