“Good value if you are on a tighter budget in Florence”

Hotel Locanda Orchidea
Ranked #207 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good value if you are on a tighter budget in Florence”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Miranda (Briton) is very helpful and knows the city inside-out. She made one phone call and booked me on the trip I wanted to go on and also made an appointment with a British Doctor nearby when I had a severe allergic reaction. They have great maps and pamphlets with cooking courses or day trips to your hearts desire. The room was comfortable. The hotel is very central and has a busy road running beneath the windows. Make sure to ask for a room that faces the courtyard as it was quite noisy on the other side. Florence was extremely hot and humid the week I was there, but the ceiling fan was more than adequate. Very close to Duomo, Piazza Republica, Ponte Vecchio, Uffizi etc. If you need assistance, Locanda can book tickets to all major sites and galleries in no time at all.

Room Tip: A room that overlooks the inner courtyard/garden preferable
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I think this is a great find. I stayed in the room overlooking the courtyard. It had two big windows which just opened onto a beautiful green courtyard. The room had a shared bathroom which was big with loads of hot water. The hotel is on the first floor and the hall on the way in is also really beautiful, with statues and has a very old Florentine style. The staff are very helpful and although you cant get your breakfast there, you can buy a voucher in the hotel for 1.80€ for the patissere a couple of doors down and have a great coffee and croissant. The location is ideal and near everything. Its a real old Florentine place. Perfect after a busy day walking around the city.

Room Tip: Overlooking the courtyard is very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Geraldine F
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Miranda, the owner, was the best!!! Fast email replies and all questions answered! Very helpful with maps, restaurant suggestions and just overall friendly. The staff made you feel special and were very welcoming!! They helped us prearrange museum tickets and had a good breakfast deal set up with the local cafe a few doors down, 1.80 euros for coffee and delicious croissant! The hotel is in a perfect location in Florence, very close to all the attractions. 10 minute walk from the main train and bus hub (they are both next to each other). Rooms are clean, bright, big, secure and comfortable. Dine out at Acqua al Due restaurant!! Amazing service, food, wine in a trendy Italian setting! Rooms overlooking the street heard noise at night as it was a long weekend in Florence. But if you are used to hostels / hotels you'll be fine. Overall, a fabulous place to stay!!!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Tash H
San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I had booked a single room according to photographs shown in the website. The room was not what I expected. In fact, the glass door was a transparent curtain, so with light inside was like being in a glass case. On my arrival the room was not ready, even though I had wrote an email about the time i would come. At my arrival the person of the "reception"was very friendly, and apparently, the only "personal". After, another person appeared very moody and a little aggressive (which apparently was the owner) because i asked for to change the room, warning me that I should go out the next day, even though I had booked for two nights. In sum, only for 10 euros more, I switch to an excellent hotel, where I completely forget about this unpleasant episode. Not recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Saraswatii
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We loved our stay here. We were traveling as a family two adults and three kids and loved it! The grocery store is just down the street and it is in a great location so you can walk to almost anywhere. There is a fridge in the unit we got, and we got the apartment with three rooms. Tons of space and beautifully decorated! (brings you back in time) The only bad thing was that the rooms faced the street, so it was loud at night while trying to sleep, though they do provide earplugs. We will definitely come back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My first visit was 10 years ago (2003) and my third visit was last week (May, 2013) ... and this place is one of my favorite places to stay. The location in Florence (so close to everything in old town Florence) is perfect. The staff are always helpful and friendly, and the other travelers are nice to when you bump into them.

The room is great, and the shared bathrooms are clean and you can easily use them whenever you want (there doesn't seem to be queue). I'd recommend asking for a garden view as the street facing rooms are a little noisy (although I still enjoyed my stay in a street facing room, I definitely preferred my stays in the garden facing rooms).

I have recommended it to many of my friends and they also have loved staying here. I hope you do too. The place really is a lovely hidden gem.

Room Tip: The garden facing rooms are quieter and it is also lovely opening your window and overlooking a litt...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2013

The location is excellent -- within easy walking distance of all the major sites. Miranda and Silvana are welcoming and personable. The hotel is clean and comfortable.
I was hesitant to stay here because of the shared bathrooms, but it was no problem. Having a wash sink in my room made all the difference. I stayed here in March for 5 nights. In all this time, only a couple of times did I need to wait a few minutes for a bathroom to become available. Although it was off-season, most if not all the rooms seemed to be filled every night.
I had a quiet room on the courtyard side. The rooms are a bit cool at night -- the hot water radiator does a middling job of warming the room. But the bed covers kept me toasty warm.
There was always room in the fridge to store my breakfast supplies, and there were supplies for making coffee or tea. The WiFi worked in a direct line from the door, but not around the corner where the bed was, so I just used my device at the desk.
The off-season price for 5 nights was 40€ per night. Excellent value! I'd happily stay here again.

Room Tip: My room on the courtyard was quiet. My traveling companion had a street-side room, which was noisy...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends