“A bargain for the heart of the city”
Review of Hotel Scoti

Hotel Scoti
Ranked #214 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Toronto
“A bargain for the heart of the city”
Reviewed 11 August 2006

Hotel Scoti is across the street from Cartier on the fashion strip of Florence. It's a five minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio and all the attractions are certainly within walking distance. We had a clean room with a very clean washroom and it was great for the price. We didn't experience any noise as did other reviewers but I guess it depends on the room you get. For the price, you can't go wrong. I would definitely go back. We slept and showered and then were out discovering. Hotel Scoti served it's purpose.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank FabioD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chester
Reviewed 14 July 2006

I can heartily the Hotel Scoti. My brother and I stayed in a spacious twin room, en-suite, with a view over the back roofs across to a tower (church , we suspect : see below) for 105 Euros a night, which we reckoned was very good value. Breakfast is available, in a rather fine room for (I think) 5 Euros, but it is not compulsory and we did not have it.

The Hotel Scoti is located in Via Tornaboun as part of an old palazzo, two floors up. There is a lift, which I recommend you use, at least until you get used to the stairs, which are not always on at night, and you need to know where the switches are.

Via Tornabouni is in a rather swanky street. The hotel itself is located next door to Prada and across the street from Cartier. However it never felt busy and we never heard traffic in the room. It is about five to ten minutes walk from Santa Maria Novella railway station,
and only a few minutes from Piazza della Republica and the Duomo.

Your hosts, Doreen and Carmelo, were most welcoming. My brother and arrived in after 11pm but we had warned them in advance and Doreen was waiting for us. Thereafter they were always happy to see us and to check if there was anything we needed. The beds were perfectly fine. Shower, handbasin, toilet and bidet.

The only thing I would warn you about is that the room had no air-conditioning. To be honest I prefer this because the drone keeps me awake, and I woulkd rather use the perfectly good windows and shutters. However the first night, a Saturday night, was a very warm evening so we left the windows open. However this meant we we awoken first of all by the dawn chorus - the Scoti is near the Arno and so not far from the swarming starlings , and then at 7am the church bells started to ring, and not just seven times for 7am, but about 35 sharp peals. Once you know about it you can deal with it, and it is hardly the fault of the hotel, but be aware.

If, like us, you want a serviceable place to sleep in safe, friendly surroundings, as opposed to paying for the grander but often faceless hotel experience, then the Hotel Scoti will do you very nicely. Five stars, with ease.

6 Thank Jakies_Abroad
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2006

We went to Hotel Scoti after staying in a very relaxed and fun Casa Astarita in Sorrento. We found Scoti very formal and lonely for a long stay. No chance of mingling with other guests in the elegant sitting room. Everyone crept around and kept to themselves. The dining room was beautifully furnished but eating was not permitted there. We would have loved to have had the chance of eating in occasionally. Even a cup of coffee would have been nice.

2 Thank suzanmuzza
Appleby Cumbria
Reviewed 16 June 2006

We had an exceptionally comfortable 2 night stay at the Scoti. The room was very quiet with absolutely no noise from ajoining rooms. Our room faced an inner courtyard so there was very little traffic noise.
The bathroom was immaculate
Doreen was charming and friendly and made us feel as if we were the only guests.
I would recommend this hotel without reservation except perhaps in July and August when I consider airconditioning is a must in all southern european cities
Would I stay there again ?....absolutely..I wouldn't consider anywhere else in Florence !
The situation of the Scoti is unbeatable..it is convenient for everything and everywhere.

3 Thank Braithsan
Miami
Reviewed 12 June 2006

I chose the Hotel Scoti after looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel is an excellent place to stay.

I traveled with my Father and my 2 kids, ages 16 and 11. Our family had 2 rooms. Both were spacious and very clean. Since we knew the hotel is on Via Tornabuoni (a busy street) we asked for rooms away from the street. Noise was no problem for us.

Doreen is the best hostess in the world! Always very helpful, no matter what you needed...from reservations, to maps, to recommendations. Breakfast at 5 Euros is a great deal.

The location could not be better. Walking distance from everything!

I have to agree with other users concern about no AC. However, we were there in June and the nights were cool, so that was no problem.

6 Thank msague
Rochester New York
Reviewed 2 June 2006

We stayed in Hotel Scoti for three days in May and would agree that the Doreen is a great host. She cheerfully made reservations for us at museums and restaurants and was very available to answer questions. She is Australian and her whole family speaks English so that facilitated making arrangements. The stone building and high ceilings keep the rooms cool, so the fan in our room was adequate for May; I agree that keeping the window open would be too noisy. The location is very upscale, same street as Tiffany's and across from Cartier. Easy walk to museums and restaurants. A taxi to the railroad station they arranged for us for very early in the morning was on time. (We had worried about getting our train to Rome in time for our flight back to the US.) This hotel would be our choice for future visits, except for summer.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank Geneva101
Memphis Tn
Reviewed 26 May 2006

After much research my Wife and I settled on the Hotel Scoti for our 4 night stay in Florence. We paid 105 euro per night and did not opt for the breakfast. Too may bars in Florence to get pastries and coffee. My emails to Doreen were quickly responded to and she booked reservations for the Accademia for us. She gave us good directions to walk from the train station, about 10 minutes. The elevator was broken on our arrival so I had to carry our luggage up 3 flights of dark stairs. Not a big deal for me but it could be a problem for older folks.

Doreen could not have been nicer. She showed us to our room and gave us a map. I ask for dinner ideas and she gladly suggested a few places and showed us on the map thier location. They turned out to be wonderful places with good value. The room was fine and the bathroom was very nice. The elevator worked the next 3 days, The location could not have been any better. 3 minutes to the Arno, 5 minutes to Duomo, 7 minutes to the Ponte Vehicco and Uffitzi.

Now the bad news. With no Air conditioning and warm weather, we had to sleep with the windows open, that does not bother me but the noise from outside was so loud and lasted well into the wee hours of the morning. Not just a little noise but there is a parking garage right below our room and between the attendant talking to his friends, cars and motercycles, there must have been a restaurant somewhere below because they were rolling carts of dishes all night long and with the cobblestone streets, that was a loud mix. Thanks godness I had ear plugs that helped and I am not a light sleeper. Just be warned about the noise.

Too bad Doreen has no control over this because otherwise it would have been great. She made you feel at home and insisted we call her for anything we needed and I felt she truely meant it. I would stay there again if the weather was cooler so we could close the windows

• Stayed May 2006