“Hotel Scoti is an excellent choice”
Review of Hotel Scoti

Hotel Scoti
Ranked #212 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Pittsburgh, PA
“Hotel Scoti is an excellent choice”
Reviewed 11 October 2006

Having been to Florence many times in the 1980s, I knew we wanted a central location and a quiet night's sleep, two concepts which, in Florence, can be mutually exclusive. With a strong Euro, we also needed a good value.

Unlike many of the less expensive accomodations in Florence, Hotel Scoti is located in a central location on Florence's most fashionable shopping street, Via Tournabuoni. The location put us within not more than a 5 minute walk to most of Florence's attractions on both sides of the Arno, as well as the train station.

Located in a 16th century palazzo, the hotel is the only one in its buiding, unlike some buildings that have a pensione on every floor, so the building is a peaceful place. The website reccomends requesting a room on the inner courtyard for a quieter night's sleep, so that is what we got.

The hotel has been recently rennovated and our room had a nice bathroom w/shower, very clean. The owners, Doreen and Carmelo, could not have been nicer or more accomodating. They were available whenever we needed them and were helpful in suggesting options for dinner , etc.

It has been my experience that Florentine hoteliers have alot of pride in what they offer and standards are overal pretty high, but I think Hotel Scoti was an especially good value. Hotel Scoti is not a luxurious place, but it fit our needs perfectly, making our stay in Florence memorable.

• Liked — Quiet atmosphere and kindness of owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Polyxena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 September 2006

My partner and I spent two days at the Hotel Scoti in mid-September and can only echo the positive comments of other reviewers. The common areas of the hotel are charming, the rooms are clean and comfortable (a little spartan, but that's what we expected), the location is great for any first time visitor to Florence who wants to see the main sights, and the breakfast, while more expensive than a capuccino and croissant standing up at an Italian cafe, was cheaper than anywhere else we stayed. The highlight, however, is the proprietor Doreen, who was without a doubt one of the nicest, most helpful people with whom we dealt while in Italy. She gave us directions, made several helpful suggestions about things to see and places to eat, and seemed genuinely interested in making the acquaintance of everyone who stayed at the hotel. Before we arrived she or someone else at the hotel also made us a reservation at the Uffizi, and offered to make dinner reservations if we wanted to eat at an upscale restaurant. All of this for 95 euros per night for two people (with a private bathroom).

Two final notes: First, several other reviews mentioned noise in some of the rooms facing out towards the main street. We had one of these rooms, and it was our experience that if we closed the window the noise didn't wake us up in the morning (and the weather was cool enough so that this was not at all uncomfortable). Second, the only qualification I might make is that the neighborhood of the hotel is VERY touristy, even for Florence. Most of the restaurants in the hotel's immediate vicinity cater to foreigners, and the entire experience can start to take on a bit of a theme park quality. Were we to come again, we might try for a slightly more far flung neighborhood in order to get a bit more of a feel for the real city. But for first time visitors, or anyone who simply needs an economical, friendly place to stay, the Hotel Scoti is tops.

• Liked — Doreen
  • Disliked — In a part of Florence that is positively overrun with tourists
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DanW329
Toronto
Reviewed 11 August 2006

Hotel Scoti is across the street from Cartier on the fashion strip of Florence. It's a five minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio and all the attractions are certainly within walking distance. We had a clean room with a very clean washroom and it was great for the price. We didn't experience any noise as did other reviewers but I guess it depends on the room you get. For the price, you can't go wrong. I would definitely go back. We slept and showered and then were out discovering. Hotel Scoti served it's purpose.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank FabioD
Chester
Reviewed 14 July 2006

I can heartily the Hotel Scoti. My brother and I stayed in a spacious twin room, en-suite, with a view over the back roofs across to a tower (church , we suspect : see below) for 105 Euros a night, which we reckoned was very good value. Breakfast is available, in a rather fine room for (I think) 5 Euros, but it is not compulsory and we did not have it.

The Hotel Scoti is located in Via Tornaboun as part of an old palazzo, two floors up. There is a lift, which I recommend you use, at least until you get used to the stairs, which are not always on at night, and you need to know where the switches are.

Via Tornabouni is in a rather swanky street. The hotel itself is located next door to Prada and across the street from Cartier. However it never felt busy and we never heard traffic in the room. It is about five to ten minutes walk from Santa Maria Novella railway station,
and only a few minutes from Piazza della Republica and the Duomo.

Your hosts, Doreen and Carmelo, were most welcoming. My brother and arrived in after 11pm but we had warned them in advance and Doreen was waiting for us. Thereafter they were always happy to see us and to check if there was anything we needed. The beds were perfectly fine. Shower, handbasin, toilet and bidet.

The only thing I would warn you about is that the room had no air-conditioning. To be honest I prefer this because the drone keeps me awake, and I woulkd rather use the perfectly good windows and shutters. However the first night, a Saturday night, was a very warm evening so we left the windows open. However this meant we we awoken first of all by the dawn chorus - the Scoti is near the Arno and so not far from the swarming starlings , and then at 7am the church bells started to ring, and not just seven times for 7am, but about 35 sharp peals. Once you know about it you can deal with it, and it is hardly the fault of the hotel, but be aware.

If, like us, you want a serviceable place to sleep in safe, friendly surroundings, as opposed to paying for the grander but often faceless hotel experience, then the Hotel Scoti will do you very nicely. Five stars, with ease.

6 Thank Jakies_Abroad
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2006

We went to Hotel Scoti after staying in a very relaxed and fun Casa Astarita in Sorrento. We found Scoti very formal and lonely for a long stay. No chance of mingling with other guests in the elegant sitting room. Everyone crept around and kept to themselves. The dining room was beautifully furnished but eating was not permitted there. We would have loved to have had the chance of eating in occasionally. Even a cup of coffee would have been nice.

2 Thank suzanmuzza
Appleby Cumbria
Reviewed 16 June 2006

We had an exceptionally comfortable 2 night stay at the Scoti. The room was very quiet with absolutely no noise from ajoining rooms. Our room faced an inner courtyard so there was very little traffic noise.
The bathroom was immaculate
Doreen was charming and friendly and made us feel as if we were the only guests.
I would recommend this hotel without reservation except perhaps in July and August when I consider airconditioning is a must in all southern european cities
Would I stay there again ?....absolutely..I wouldn't consider anywhere else in Florence !
The situation of the Scoti is unbeatable..it is convenient for everything and everywhere.

3 Thank Braithsan
Miami
Reviewed 12 June 2006

I chose the Hotel Scoti after looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel is an excellent place to stay.

I traveled with my Father and my 2 kids, ages 16 and 11. Our family had 2 rooms. Both were spacious and very clean. Since we knew the hotel is on Via Tornabuoni (a busy street) we asked for rooms away from the street. Noise was no problem for us.

Doreen is the best hostess in the world! Always very helpful, no matter what you needed...from reservations, to maps, to recommendations. Breakfast at 5 Euros is a great deal.

The location could not be better. Walking distance from everything!

I have to agree with other users concern about no AC. However, we were there in June and the nights were cool, so that was no problem.

6 Thank msague