“Elegant Street Food in Florence”
Review of Semel Street Food

Semel Street Food
Ranked #455 of 2,776 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed 17 July 2015

Gorgeous owner who I always claim to be the Sean Connery of crostini makers ! not only because he looks like him he has the elegance of Sean in his tiny bar right near the growers markets of St Ambrogio. Marco is open from 11.30am to 15.00pm. According to the season you will find a six or seven different toppings to be added to small crostini (perfect for a snack or light lunch) or to the classic bread roll. The toppings are particular and can include stewed donkey, roast pork with semi sun dried tomato, pecorino cheese with pear and truffle and the list goes on! fantastic flavours with a glass of house wine and the charm of a classic looking 'Fiaschetteria' a typical wine bar in Florence.
The place fills up with locals around 1.30pm so I recommend you arrive from 12.00pm.

Date of visit: July 2015
Write a reviewReviews (147)

Reviewed 25 April 2015

TripAdvisor led us to this lunch spot on our recent trip to Florence. At the time, I was still trying to remember how to speak Italian after many years of being quite rusty. So I tried to be brave and come up with coherent sentences as I placed my order for wine and sandwiches. The gentleman couldn't have been a more friendly listener, and I was actually shocked he didn't immediately default to speaking in English. That alone made my experience all the more pleasant. But it was the pork sandwich that was absolutely mind-blowing. We had to resist the urge not to go back the next day, since we like to try as many places as possible on a vacation. I'd recommend ordering a glass of wine, finding a stool or ledge to sit on, and savoring an expertly-crafted sandwich served by a passionate cook and true gentleman. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: April 2015
Reviewed 15 April 2015

We searched for Semel and finally found it.....just as described, a tiny place but you'll see the canopy hanging out front to identify it. I had the pork and onion panini which was delicious. My friend had the vegetarian panini, also excellent. The sandwiches are small but fresh and excellent. The owner was so friendly and pleasant as well. Our two Pannonia and a bottle of water was 9euros.

Date of visit: April 2015
Reviewed 30 March 2015

Recommended by staff from another restaurant (the best type of recommendation!!) Semel is found (but only just, coz it's teeny tiny!) right by a local fresh produce market off the piazza Lorenzo Ghiberti (not far from the church on piazza Di Santa Croce) just pop in, grab a sandwich, a glass of vino and have a relaxed chat with the English speaking proprietor and be on your way again... Lovely!

Date of visit: March 2015
Reviewed 25 March 2015

It is a small place you might not even notice it, I have been there on a Wednesday afternoon and was the last customer. It is open until 3PM.

the owner speaks english and he's curious about his customer by asking many questions, very friendly and nice.

The food is good , had 2 panini (Pear/cheese and truffle and one pork cheek and sweet pepper) + a glass of red wine and some local biscuit that you dip into a glass of sweet wine... all that for 9 euros... The size of the panino is not big but it is really good.

I definitely will go back there.

Date of visit: March 2015