Hotel La Gioconda
US$409
US$383
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hilton Florence Metropole(Florence)(Great Value!)
US$156
Agoda.com
Hotel David(Florence)
US$208
US$198
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Stayed here 3 nights. Thankfully not more. On a very small positive note, it is only 10 minutes direct walk from the main train station. But you would pass at least 50 hotels to get there. It is close to the Duomo.

Right. We booked directly with the hotel on their own website vs. using an internet booking service - it was the same price and we thought if they weren't paying massive commissions we might be treated well. We specifically asked for a first floor room due to a recent leg injury. Be warned, even the first floor is almost 30 stairs. The hotel is old. It is frumpy. It gives the impression of tiredness and dirt. Our room was decorated with plastic wood furniture and the carpet was so old we wished for bedroom slippers. The bathroom was old, the shower was poky (for any ladies over an English size 16 - don't bother going). For the first night and the following morning the water in the shower was barely lukewarm. We were too tired to bother hiking downstairs to complain. When we returned from our first day's sightseeing the room was not made up and we had to request fresh towels and essentially show the evening manager the room as he couldn't believe it hadn't been done. Breakfast was very average. Sugary cereals, no eggs, lots of cake and biscuits and somedays some plastic wrap cheese. The morning following the housekeeping debacle we specifically complained to two women we understand to be management. Sorry about the housekeeping - she forgot was their response. I complained then about the water. Apparently I should have let it run longer. (I almost had hypothermia standing in the freezing bathroom of Room 3 on the first floor as I waited for 15 minutes). I asked for some free wifi as compensation - it's Euro 9 (nine!) per hour otherwise. No luck there as I had a very good rate and I should have had one of the rooms on level 3 for that rate, but they had provided a level 1 room out of the goodness of their hearts. Apparently. It is also right on the main road and the windows/curtains and shutters barely block on the noise of nightly revellers. Stay there at your peril and be aware that if you book a good rate on the internet or even direct with the hotel, then in their eyes good rate = rubbish room and if anything goes wrong it's very probably your fault.

Room Tip: Avoid hotel entirely. Specifically Room 3 on Level 3. Though you could use the bathroom as a fridge if need be.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JnVSydney
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We made a hotel reservation via internet in the 3 star hotel La Gioconda in Florence. In the WEB the hotel is described as: “ a hotel with historic ambience and one of the best of its category in Florence. A modern hotel and refined which receives its guests in elegant and nicely decorated rooms. A hotel with an exceptional service.”
Unfortunately this description is completely false.
At the check in in the little reception area at the entrance (there is no reception hall) we handed in the voucher of the travel agency and received a room (number 18) in the second floor. To start with there is no elevator. The room was extremely small, cold (it appeared the heating did not work, without extra blankets available etc. A room which was definitely not a room of a 3 star hotel. I do not think it deserved even 1 star.
When we asked to change the room, the answer was that the “superior” rooms (which I assumed are rooms of the category of a three star hotel) are only available for direct hotel reservations. At this point the receptionist was already annoyed about our insistence and was very impolite. We asked to speak to the manager. But he was not available. I asked for a complaint form to fill out. It was not available or I was rather ignored. I asked for the name of the receptionist but to my surprise he did not want to give me his name. At that point in order to avoid more unpleasantries we decided to leave the establishment and think about alternatives. As something like that never happened to us we were understandably very upset.
When we came back to pick up our luggage to our surprise the manager was now all of a sudden available and wanted to talk to us on the phone. After I explained to her what happened I made it very clear that after the unacceptable treatment received we did not see us capable to stay in this hotel, that I wanted to file an official complaint and that I wanted our voucher back. All of which was denied by her and to my surprise she as well was not willing to give me her name as well. The hotel is a nightmare. Do not book there. The only good thing it has is loacation. But there are plenty decent hotels with good location and friendy as we found out.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. If you can, insist in a room in the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bernd_Wand
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This hotel has nothing to recommend it. NO lift, we had to drag our heavy bags up 3 flights of stairs. Room okay but shabby. Bathroom okay, but shower stall had mould on ceiling and peeling paint - yuk. The breakfast room was shabby and the breakfast was awful. We even had to pay for wifi, which a lot of other places have for free.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn H
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I was travelling with friends but we stayed at different places so I was looking for smth in the historical centre and cheap. Location and price were the main factors. I got the room on the upper floor. The guy from reception helped me with a luggage so one of the main problems I read out on tripadvisor was quickly solved. The room was small but all necessary stuff could be found there. The view from the window was very authentic Florentine. The shower experience wasn't so good. The temperature of hot water differed during the day.
The location was perfect: just a few minutes walk from railway station, it is also in walking distance from main Florence attractions. If you come to see Florence and need a place in the centre to spend a few nights it's a perfect choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Nataliasha
Reviewed 27 October 2012

We booked this hotel because it was promoted on a booking site as a special price offer. The room was different from the pictures on the internet, significantly less cozy and beautiful although clean. What we were really happy of was the location which is perfect for those who travel by train - it is half way between Duomo and the train station.
The location is easy to find and strategic, the bed mattress is really comfortable, the room was clean, the price was Euro 50 - we had nothing to complain about. I would recommend for short and buzy stays if sold at an acceptable price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple