“The Perfect Grocer”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pegna

Pegna
Ranked #8 of 303 Shopping in Florence
More attraction details
Owner description: Specialty shop in central Florence since 1860, a nice place to stop and shop for a bit of gourmet products from Tuscany.
Montreal, Canada
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“The Perfect Grocer”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Location: On dell Studio, a side street off of the Duomo. This was an accidental discovery but a good one!

The goods: Well, they have everything from Baci chocolate to the best biscotti you can buy (in a grocery store, to dairy products, dry goods and meat. You can easily do your groceries here and find everything you're looking for. On my end, I wanted basics - milk, yogurt and of course, Baci. They had coffee-flavored yogurt that was so damn good, I wish I could have them ship a case back home.

Service: The cashier was very friendly and she even told the couple behind me that their selection of biscotti was top notch. That was good for me to know as I planned a repeat visit!

Prices: Some items are really well priced while others are inflated. They do have a very nice selection of items though, so worth a stop if you're in the area.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ann T

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Surprise.”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful find when staying close to the Duomo in Florence.
Great service and great selection - perfect for the ordinary and the extraordinary.
Thankyou Pegna.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Katrina C
NEPA
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Thrilled to happen upon this place”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Like many other TAs, when I travel I carry a wish list of things that people at home are longing for. My brother-in-law's family lives in Italy so my sister's family has a laundry list of treats and treasures that they crave between visits to Italy. My list on this trip consisted of cheese, Esta The (limone), a big Perugina Easter egg, and some candy that my niece needed for a school project on ancestry. While a seemingly easy list, finding Esta The in the liter bottle is a treasure hunt in itself. Pegna had it! The selection of cheeses was fantastic and my choice was enthusiastically received at home. The candy selection was fabulous and I found my favorite hard to find treasure "Cognac filled Lindt bars." I search everywhere for those so they were a great find.
While I hesitate to call Pegna an attraction, it is surely a great place to stop to do some food shopping; especially for difficult to track down items. Like some of the other small places I discovered on my trip, they displayed a TA placard requesting a rating. In this case, I was happy to oblige with a positive one.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank ghiaaa
NY
164 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 179 helpful votes
“This is the most crazy review I have written here”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

From one user of TripAdvisor to another, can you help me figure this out?

I needed to buy some food items for my stay in Florence so I found this sophisticated-looking place where I basically found everything I was looking for and was surprised by the excelent cuts of meat. When I was paying, I noticed a little card asking clients to rate the place in TripAdvisor. I did like to place, so why not? Then I arrived here only to find that Pegna is listed as an Attraction.

My problem is: the Uffizi are an attraction, the Ponte Vecchia is an attraction. People go to Florence to visit these places, so it is not suprising that the word we use is attraction - they do attract us to Florence. But Pegna? How is this shop, halfway between a delicatessen and a supermarket, an attraction? Will anyone travel to Florence to buy stuff there?

It gets more complicated. To rate the place, TripAdvisor asks me some yes-or-no questions that are easy to respond to, but the answers do require some explanation. So:

- is there a fee? Not really, you can go in, browse and leave; but if you buy something they would really appreciate if you paid for it

- is food available for purchase? Not surprisingly for a place that sell food, there is food

I had hard time calculating a recommended time for the visit, by the way.

Before I forget: what did I think about the place? Great stuff but few selections - they tend to offer more expensive products. I could not figure out the layout, pasta can be found in different sections. I had to go around more than once to make some choices. But then Pegna has a great location and I was there mainly for the proteins, and Pegna really scored high in that category.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank R_TheReader
Nottingham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“a rare treat”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Such a lovely place to browse round and maybe pick up some delicacies! I was impressed with the range of deli foods, and as we were self-catering, it was easy to buy basics as well as the treats. It takes you back in time and maintains memoires of a more or less bygone age.

Visited September 2013