“when in Italy do as the Italians do”
Review of Airone Hotel

Airone Hotel
Ranked #391 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Stafford, United Kingdom
“when in Italy do as the Italians do”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

After I read some of these reviews I was horrified, but I should not have been. This Hotel was very good. Ok.it was not the Ritz but it does not claim to be. It is Italian, very clean and with character.everything worked and the staff were very helpful. This was a surprise birthday gift for my wife and she enjoyed every minute of it. we will come back here, oh and please visit La Taverna fish and the Tortug restraunts they are bellisimo

Room Tip: 1st floor seemed best
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
australia
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We did not enjoy our stay at this hotel at all. If you do stay, one important thing to note is google maps has this hotel at the wrong address! This was very frustrating and took us an hour to find our hotel. We understand this is not the hotels fault, however when we reported this to the management (hoping to help fellow travelers and the hotel) we were ignored. The hotel either knows and doesn't care or knows and couldn't be bothered telling us that the problem is under investigation. Staff were impolite and somber during check in and out. The hotel was quite run down looking and old. The location of the hotel is directly across from the train station which is perfect for tourists coming in and out via the train/staying for one day (as we were) and there is also a vaparetto next to the train station. A lot of food and shopping nearby but despite the great location we were not happy with this hotel and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Almada, Setubal, Portugal
Reviewed 19 June 2013

What can I say? At the arrival the receptionist was a lovely old man. His eyes glimpsed while speaking of Dante, Dan Brown, Florence, the Medici, etc. I instantly fell in love with the florentines. As for the hotel... We all have 23/24 years old, so we laughed a lot. No light in the bathroom, we had to put a lamp on it. For unplugging the lamp on the room we moved the furniture and found a plastic cup on the floor, tones of dust and a spider web in the ceiling. In June the flies ruled the room, and I'd go out of my shower stepping on them.The breakfast was just sad... wrepped food, a single person attending all guests in the morning. Miserable, to say the least. The recepcionist during the day was not simpathetic at all, plus she said they'd call the fixer for the bathroom lamp and she didn't. She even hoped that I'd forget about it and just find a solution. We asked her how come someone cleaned the bathroom with no light, but giving the condition of the rest of the room... I doubt there was any cleaning at all.

The old man was adorable and the area as well (bus nearby, 15 min to the centre), it's a long distance to walk. In the afternoon, after visiting the city, I laid on my bed for a while just listening to the birds and staring at the rooftops of Florence.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CeliaLoureiro
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Well where to start for this hotel. When you read the website it says a 15 minute walk to the city centre, well that's a lie. It is a 15 minute bus and over a half hour walk. As a couple we payed for a double bed. What we got was 2 singles beds pushed together. The room was very big, however our tv did not work. The bathroom was a joke. The shower was over the toilet so the bathroom flooded if you had a shower. The staff were not very helpful when we asked what restaurants were in the area, they named one restaurant which they had a deal with or something. One positive from this hotel was wifi. It worked fine and was always good reception. Breakfast was more than a joke. It's something I wouldn't feed my dog. You got old croissants which tasted horrible and stale. They did not have anyone fresh, they used sliced package cheese which was terrible in taste.

- If you have already booked this don't be to worried although my review is from a negative experience. Just be prepared and do not set your standards to high

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ris W
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Strange bathrooms and receptionist at the day of our arrival was not at all helpful. However the other staff was ok. Many other improvements needed, but it was fair enough. Strange bathrooms and receptionist at the day of our arrival was not at all helpful. However the other staff was ok. Many other improvements needed, but it was fair enough.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with fru.pl

Holyhead
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We booked this hotel as we were finishing our 7 day stay in Italy. After staying in a nice hotel in venice, a beautiful villa near rome, we decided that the car journey back home would be boosted by a night in Florence.
We saw a good deal for this hotel and booked, without reading reviews.

On arrival the 'free car park' we were told about happened just to be street parking, so we were forced to park on a zebra crossing (this isn't out of place in Italy).
The old man on reception took a long time to check us in, which was a bit frustrating as we were tired. We finally got our room key, and entered the dungeon.
The room was not clean, the bedding was stained, the tv was something that my dead nan would say is 'old fashioned'. The aircon didn't work. the ceiling fan was covered in dust, so when I did turn it on, it was snowing with dust.
The bathroom was clean, but that was relatively little compensation for staying in such a dump.
When I decided to sit on the bed it lunged to one side...so I looked at the leg on the bed and realised it was a camp bed. I specifically asked and booked a double room, though we were given 2 single camp beds with broken legs....no chance of any sex that night! We did however take the matress off the beds and tand the beds up against the wall, so slept on a matress...I hope the cleaner enjoyed rebuilding the room the next day.

Breakfast (JOKE)
served from 7.30-9.30, we got down at 7.50. we walked into the dining room (imagine a corner café on a council estate) and saw a plate with cake...croissants In plastic wrappers, and French toast in plastic wrappers, with out of date jam.
Bemused I took a croissant and sat down. Each guest who entered the dining room looked as unhappy as I did.
Ten minutes later the receptionist walked in with a bowl of meat, some bread and some cheese...so we thought we would help ourselves. It turned out that it was tinned mortadella sausage cut with a spoon by the looks of it, bread that should have been served at least 2 days before, and cheese slices still in the plastic. After deciding against breakfast I decided that was enough of living like a poor person, and left.

Please don't stay here thinking 'its only 1 night'. Better advice would be to buy a sleeping bag and sleep rough in a bus stop!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel if you want a decent room!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Shirly T
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I was really happy with our 4 nights in the Airone Hotel. It was clean and tidy, the staff made an effort to help us out and give us information. It is a good walk into the centre but the number 17 bus is very regular on the route. There is an amazing restaurant call Tortuga which is quite close, which is amazing.

I found the rooms to be pretty basic at the hotel, 2 single beds pushed together made it uncomforable for me and my girlfriend to cuddle up at night. The maids cleaned every day.

The breakfast was continental, which in my eyes is always a disappointment where ever it is served so my opinion is already bias. I would stay again if I was in Florence.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple