“Helpful staff, clean, awesome location”

Hotel Duomo Firenze
Ranked #62 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I arrived before my room was ready, but was able to leave my bags with the desk. When my room was ready, they even helped me carry my bags up the stairs to my room, despite my insistence that it wasn't necessary. The room was a double bed, for just me, so it was quite large. I was visiting a long-time friend in Florence, so wanted her to be able to stay with me if she wanted. The room was very clean, and had a mini-fridge which turned out to be very handy. There was a nice, private balcony with chairs and a view of the duomo, adjacent to a bathroom that was very clean and refreshed every day with new towels and toiletries. As I'm from the US, I always love the towel warmers in European hotels, and this one did not disappoint.
The location is ideal - literally right across from the duomo, so within walking distance of everything, really. For a woman often arriving back to the hotel alone and rather late, it was a bit disconcerting having such a public place of entry to the hotel. Usually that just meant about a minute of nerves as I approached the hotel, strangers watching, and waited to be buzzed into the gate; it's a gated entry, which was a nice comfort once it opened and I was inside. I'll get to the hotel's security system more later.
The breakfast included is totally worth it, too! I think it was 6 euro per day, per person, and it's a very nice spread. Also, pretty "American," which was a nice comfort. Hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, pastries and bread, yogurt, juices, coffee, whole fruits and fruit salad...etc.

My only complaint, I think, would be the noise. The walls are quite thin, so I heard all conversations in the hallways and even some downstairs by the front desk. But the hotel was pretty quiet, in general; definitely a family atmosphere, so no one was getting back absurdly late really. Which, as a young person there visiting friends, did make me a bit uncomfortable, actually.
Their system to keep rooms secure is to keep the keys at the front desk, so upon entering you need to ask for your key from them. As a woman traveling alone, that was both comforting and strange. I would have rather owned my own security, but it was comforting to know they sort of screened guests upon entry. The other strange thing, though, is that the hotel is on the fourth floor of a building with a gated entrance, so there's a buzzer to get to the elevator. During the day, the gate is just open, but after a certain hour (21:00 I believe, though I noticed it open later), it's supposed to be closed so that you need to be buzzed up by hotel staff. It's sort of nice, but there's a note in the hotel rooms to kindly let the front desk know when you'll be out late, which just made me feel worse than I should have being out late. I guess my point is that it felt more like staying with distant family or a collective tour group than at an anonymous hotel....like they were always watching and judging me (a bit paranoid, I'm sure). That did, as I hope I've conveyed, have its pros and cons.
Overall a very nice place, just not entirely what I expect from a hotel. I was very grateful for friendly staff, a clean hotel, and an awesome location.

Room Tip: I didn't see a single room, but I was very glad I booked a double. I don't remember the pric...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel only one night but felt in love with it. Its location is great, rooms are good, beds are good, and what a breakfast for 3 star hotel!!!

If you are looking for a hotel of this level, don't look anywhere else just book it!

Room Tip: Go for a room that looks at Duomo.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CRAZYHORSE694
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel has an excellent location, just accros the street from the cathedral. It's near the main shops, a lot of restaurants, and the most important tourist attractions, The staff is helpful and polite. The owners themselves are there to talk to you and make you feel comfortable. Wifi is free and very good. Besides a delicious breakfast, they offer you free cappuccino, coffee, biscuits, yogurt, etc, whenever you feel like having a snack.

Room Tip: My room had a balcony with a view of the Duomo.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I loved how it was close enough to everything and the room was small but very comfy. Loved the spacious bathroom with nice towels and a tiny balcony even! Also, great wi-fi that was reliable!!
The staff helped with directions and other little tips like maps and calling a cab when it was pouring.

2  Thank Ody
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel has an incomparable location: directly across from the Cathedral, the hotel is in easy walking distance from the train station, major art galleries, and the Ponte Vecchio. Breakfast? Absolutely yummy, with fresh fruits, delicious cheese, salami, breads -- and delightful coffee. Having the opportunity of dining on the terrace in view of the Cathedral was one of those "plus" moments which should be hi-lited with photos. I will definitely recommend this hotel to any friend traveling to Florence.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Cathedral!
4  Thank Thornhaven
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hotel Duomo was our favorite hotel on our European trip, the rooms were very nice, clean and comfortable and the location couldn't of been better. The breakfast was good and the cappuccinos excellent. Top it off with friendly helpful staff. I would definitely stay again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Great location to all attractions and walking distance from the train station.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Yvonne T
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were travelling from Rome and wanted to spend two days with our one year old sightseeing in Florence. The only setback for this hotel was that our stroller did not fit in the elevator required for getting to the lobby on the 4th floor. We then had to carry the stroller up another flight of stairs to get to our room. Other than that, everything was great. We had a nice little corner room and they supplied us with a baby bed. Everything was clean and the bathroom appeared to have been renovated recently. We didn't hear a noise at night from the busy plaza below. Breakfast on the deck overlooking the Duomo was absolutely beautiful, we won't forget it and we'd stay here again no question.

Room Tip: We had corner room 42, and it was a little snug but served its purpose for the afternoon nap we took...
2  Thank sarahroseinrome