“Basic room and location is a little far from train station....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Centro

Hotel Centro
Ranked #311 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Singapore, Singapore
“Basic room and location is a little far from train station....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Overall hotel rooms in Florence are not cheap so I booked this hotel at a price that I thought it's quite reasonable, hoping that it's conveniently located. The location is ok but the walk from the train station is at least about 10-15 mins and that's if you don't get lost... Room is simple but a little tired...There was free wireless internet and complimentary breakfast... I booked a room with double bed but was given a room with 1 double bed and 2 single beds, so it's a larger room than we needed... Complimentary breakfast was decent and the hotel manager was friendly and warm... There are plenty of restaurants around the neighborhood and it's only couple mins walk from the leather market. Over all, it's a place to sleep but not to chill out...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelcentrofi, Direttore at Hotel Centro, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Dear Guest thank you very much for your comment! We really appreciate people who want to share their experience with others and, most important with us. It's an unvaluable way to offer a better service.

I'm a little bit sorry to see you gave us a 3 out of 5 especially because you pointed out nice things.

As you know florence is very small and every place you go is at "walking distance". We surely say and confirm that we're close to the station because 800 meters (270 feets) or 10 minutes by foot in our opinion is close, very close. You don't need a taxi and you can save money for some food or wine or museum tickets!! In addition to this, the hotel even if it's so close to the station if far away from the "station noise"....

I'm very sorry you didn't like such a big room, your reservation was for a twin beds (2 separate beds) and we only had double big beds.
We then decided to move you in a quadruple room with 4 beds!! 1 big beds and 2 single beds. You just could choose wich one to use. Once again I think we have choosen thinking of your comfort and respecting your request. Reading your comment it seems you didn't like the solution.

As I usually do at the end of every comment I suggest you and all the people reading this to always speak and tell the Hotel staff if you've some concerns or problems or if you're not satisfied with something. Most of the time there's a quick and easy solution. We are here to please you and let you have a nice time.

Have a good day
Francesco Levanti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

We were happy with our stay at Hotel Centro. Once you figured out the streets we were able to get to so many great places: Duomo, David, the market (great leather products) and restaurants. I am a light sleeper, so I found the street noise annoying. I did use ear plugs and that helped. Our room was spacious (triple), and the bathroom was fine. The shower drained slowly, so we turned off water while scrubbing and no overflows. Staff was very pleasant. Breakfast was ok, coffee weak one day and good the next, cereal was good, cake great! Good place for the money. Grazia!

• Stayed May 2011
Newbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

So let's start with the positives! The location of this hotel is excellent (just five minutes from the Duomo), the staff are very friendly and welcoming, and the rooms were clean.

Unfortunately our stay was ruined by the amount of street noise coming from outside through the day and into the early hours of the morning. We do appreciate there will always be a level of noise when in a central location, but having stayed at similar locations in the past, I can honestly say the level of noise here was exceptional.

The rooms were a little tired and the bed uncomfortable, although the shared spaces were welcoming. The bathroom in particular required updating, the shower head was cracked which meant the water didn't come out properly and it was difficult to get the temperature right.

Breakfast was basic and the range of options dependent on whether you turned up before the rush.

I would not return to this hotel, but if you want a good value hotel in a very central hotel, this may be for you. Just don't forget your ear plugs!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kermit1976
Hotelcentrofi, Direttore at Hotel Centro, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear Customer,
Thanks for your comment, we really appreciate people who spend some of their time sharing their experiences at the Hotel Centro.
We are so proud and sure about our quality level that we would like everybody to do this.

I'm very sorry you had a noisy nights but as you stated we are really centrally located, few meters from the Duomo and the original Michelangelo's David and, as you could imagine, during the easter time florence has been very crowdy. In addition to this the city major wants you to have a really good time in florence so he planned a lot of events that you can enjoy all day long.

Early in the morning tens of people clean all the streets and squares to prepare the field for another day , that day you consider "normal" the streets to be clean but someone... somehow have to clean them.

Everybody sleeping downtown has more or less the same experience, me too living very close to the hotel.

I'd like you to give us another chance visiting us, we're continuosly renewing our rooms and, as you can read in the room descriptions, plenty of them are already renewed.

Hope to see you here again

Regards
Costa Mesa, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

Well it is central, but that's as much as I can say about it. The room was so small that we couldn't get the luggage past the bed, we had to put it on the bed and slide it over to the other side. The elevator is a claustrophobic nightmare, actually both of them are.

The breakfast, even though free, isn't worth sitting down for. Although the mac in the lobby was a nice touch.

The street our room was on, wasn't a busy street during the day but at night was the way home for almost all the "night life" outside.

If you are a sound sleeper and want to be in the heart of things, this is a good place. If you want to relax in a comfortable room...look else where.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Fianna37
Hotelcentrofi, Direttore at Hotel Centro, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your comment.

I'm sorry you're not happy with your stay even if as you stated "you get what you pay for" that's why I don't understand why you rated us so low.
We have economy rooms that's the one you choosen. We also have standard and superior rooms that are more confortable and very big. We always think that having smaller room with a budget price is a good thing for people who wants to stay in florence few meters away from the uffizi and the original Michelangelo's David instead of going miles away and use the public transportation every day.

As you could see our hotel is located in a 500 (five hundred!!!!) years old building. I'm really sorry that at that time they didn't think about the elevator but we really did a great job to me having not 1 but 2 elevators in the building!!!

In the street during the night it could happen to have some sounds, once again this is the other side of the same situation.

Breakfast time! We offer every morning american coffee, espresso, cappuccino, choccolate, juice, milk, cake, yogurts, cereals, 2 kind of fresh bread, jellys, honey, processed cheese and we are very happy to support every kind of request if possible. we cannot cook eggs or bacon but we can provide on request gluten free food.
I don't know what kind of breakfast you have at home, we're sorry you didn't appreciate our efforts.

By the way please consider how much you pay the room and the location, I'm pretty sure you could evaluate your stay more than 2/5.

Thanks

Francesco

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

North Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

In a great central location, amazingly friendly staff, 4 minutes from the duomo, right near the leather market and the best restaurants! This is defiantly an underrated hotel, a great find!

The gentleman that works at night is just charming and friendly, beds are comfortable, showers ar clean and nice, and breakfast is small but filling!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Pirot, Serbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

Hotel Centro is a small hotel in center of Florence a few steeps from Palazzo Medici and Galleria dell'academia. You also need 5 minutes to walk to the Duomo. Very pleasant staff, room was small but relatively clean. Since the hotel is in center of the city, it was a bit noisy from the street, but it wasn't a big problem. You'll get some croissants, jam, nutella, juice, milk or butter for breakfast. Have a nice time in Firenze!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

Let's start with the good news--the location of this hotel CANNOT BE BEAT! You are a short, safe walk from everywhere you want to be in Florence. The staff was very nice, and most went out of their way to be helpful, particularly Francesco. His English is superb, and can answer any question you need to know about the area.

The rooms were quite spacious for the price, and the bed linens were crisp and clean. In fact, I have to say that the whole room was quite clean.

Breakfast is served each morning in the breakfast room, and it is suitable. There are a selection of breads and grains, with coffee and juices. There is also a nice computer area where you can check your email (for a price).

The bad news is this: The evening staff is kind of laughable. The man who was there for the overnight shift, although incredibly nice, was not exactly useful for a traveller. He did not speak a suitable amount of English, if you needed help. Most questions that I had for him, were greeted with the response "you need to ask Francesco tomorrow."

The worst part of this experience is the fact that this overnight staff member sits in the lobby area in a room on the side, smokinga cigar almost all night long. I could not even check my email without my allergies going crazy from the Cigar smoke. You could not smell the smoke in your room, but going into the lobby area was a chore.

The building is also old. You need to ring a bell to get in the building which rings on the second floor of the hotel, so that the staff can buzz you in. Some nights we waited outside in the cold, ringling the bell 4 or 5 times before we could get the 67 year old overnight staff awake to open the door. (Alhough, we were always greeted with a smile.)

The shower is a bit annoying, as the water has a tendancy to get all over the floor, however this is not a reason to not book this hotel (and I have encountered much worse showers in Scandinavia). As a result, the towels got incredibly wet from cleaning up the floor. We asked for new towels, and the overnight staff told us that they only change them every other day, and we had to wait.

I don't want this to come off as though I am tearing this place apart, and I am ultimately going to give this hotel a favorable recommendation. If you can take the overnight issues with a grain of salt, the rest of the stay was quite enjoyable, with a great staff and an UNBEATABLE location.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MrNonRev
Hotelcentrofi, Direttore at Hotel Centro, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
Dear guest,

I'm very happy you had an afterall very good experience at the Hotel Centro and I'd like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. It really helps us to improve and, most important, avoid the situations that can cause a bad feeling with the hotel or the staff.

I've already talked to the overnight shift workers and made your point clear. He's very sorry for what happened.

I'd like to spend few words on the overnight shift staff because, as you probably know being a traveller, 2 starts hotels do not require by law to have an overnight shift staff.
We always aim to offer the best and, most important, secure service so we decided that even if the overnight shift could not help you as a traveller could help you in many other situation and, I can tell, happen very often. You could need and hospital, and ambulance, a late checkin, an early checkout and in general.... there's always someone there for you.

This thing is probably more valuable in the moment you need it.

What I always says in this cases is... to share your experience to the people of the staff so we could fix it immediatly. We really had a lovely and nice time together and I'm sorry to know that something was not perfect.

I'm looking forward to seeing you here again, I'm sure your experience will be excellent.

Have a very good day