“No A/C, reused dirty towels - we will not be back!”
Review of Hotel Centro

Hotel Centro
Ranked #327 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The PROS: Hotel Centro is located in a good location within reasonable walking distance (around 25 min walk with suitcases, while orienting yourself) from Firenze SMN station. On the street, there are minimarts, cafes, and the leather market. The Duomo & David is about 5-10 min walk away.

The hotel itself is in a very old building which requires you to press two buzzers to get through two large doors. From there, you take a very tiny elevator (big enough for 1 + suitcase) to the 1st floor where the hotel lobby is located.

The CONS:

The hotel advertises many times on its own personal website that the entire property is air conditioned and that all 16 rooms have air conditioning. Well, I just stayed at the hotel and I can confirm that this is A LIE.

When I checked in, I noticed my receipt said that A/C in my room was "not available" (my stay was during mid-August which was quite HOT in Florence)... When questioned, I was told my room had no A/C, just one fan. I asked about why they falsely advertised that all their rooms had A/C, when this would have played a part in our choice of hotel. He just said that there were no rooms with A/C left for 3 people throughout all 3 nights of my stay, that I have no choice. That was deceptive of them to advertise in such a way, only for us to be surprised upon check-in.

The ceiling fan was poorly installed and extremely loud. When we opened the windows, mosquitos came into the room since there was no netting and I got a few bites on my leg. So we kept them shut. We've spent 3 nights with hardly any sleep because of the intense heat, with just one loud, old fan circulating hot air around the room for three.

Here's the digusting part. The shower door had come off the hinge, causing some water to come out of the shower, and we used towels to keep the bathroom floor dry. The next day, during room cleaning, they took the wet towels off the floor, and hung them over the shower for us to reuse. We went downstairs to ask for clean towels since those ones were used to clean the water off the floors, and at first, the staff said "no, I don't have the key." After we asked how we can shower without dry towels, he grumbled some stuff in Italian and went to the closet and said "ONE. JUST ONE. I WILL ONLY REPLACE ONE." Well, all the towels were stacked together by housekeeping and we had no idea which one was soaking up water off the floor. The 3 of us had 1 clean towel to use. It's pretty disgusting to think that they could expect us to use towels that had been used to mop up water off their bathroom floor, which, by the way, was quite old and the shower had rust/mold around the hinges. We bought our own towels to use after that incident, since they refused to provide us with clean ones.

They said linens would be replaced every 3 days, but we didn't think that would include wet towels used to clean water off the floor. I read that another member on tripadvisor had made the same comment awhile earlier, and management promised to take those comments into consideration. We are disappointed by the standard of hygiene and attitude when we asked for new towels.

Our last night, there were intermittent blackouts and also a lack of hot water in the shower.

In the end, these things ruined our stay in Florence. We will stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank S t e p h a n i e

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Centro! Our room was quiet - there's going to be some street noise almost anywhere you stay in Florence, but it definitely did not wake us up or bother us at all. The staff were so wonderful - recommended restaurants for us, letting us check out a bit late, etc. Breakfast was good and the Wifi was free! We thought the location was absolutely perfect as well - it's in between the train station, Galleria Academia (David), Duomo, and all of the main squares. You never had more than a 5-10 minute walk to get anywhere in Florence. I would highly recommend Hotel Centro - excellent value hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lobstergirl28
Reviewed 9 July 2011

We would recomend Hotel Centro. We had a very nice stay. We loved the location, but what really made it great was the staff. They helped us so much. My wife had twisted her ankle the day before and they offered us ice packs every evening for her foot. They suggested places to eat that were also very good and not too expensive. We would go back any time. It was also very clean and the breakfast was good. Greg from Lompoc, CA

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lompocian
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Hotel Centro is clean, brilliantly located with friendly and helpful staff, great value for money!

Location is about 5 minutes walk from the Duomo, Market and the Galleria Accademia (REAL Michaelangelo's David). The SMN Train station is approx 10 minutes walk. Easy to find with a map and once you get your bearings!

There is a small lift to the reception area on the first floor and another lift to the rooms. Our room was large and spacious with a compact and bijou bathroom. Clean and comfortable, ceiling fan was slightly noisy but didnt affect our stay nor would it stop me booking here again in the future. Although we were right opposite the lift it wasn't too noisy and we were not disturbed.

The staff were friendly and helpful at all times - we asked to book a trip and this could not have been easier - all sorted for us! We even learned some Italian!

Free breakfast was brilliant - great to set us up for the day - cereal, croissants, fruit juice, coffee. One morning we missed breakfast but were still offered coffee.

There wasnt an iron available so we were slightly wrinkled but again not a big deal.

We were also offered the option to store our luggage on checkout if needed (had there been time to see more of Florence, this would have been invaluable!).

Overall I can't fault the hotel or staff, would definitely recommend Hotel Centro if you want a good value central hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Hotel Centro is a good budget hotel in a great location (i.e., in the historic city center, only 5 Minutes by foot away from the Duomo and from other major sites). The room was clean, the bathroom was in good shape (even shower doors and not only a curtain) the breakfast was sufficient, and the staff was really charming (all of them, the room maids and the men at the front desk).

The hotel provided WiFi for free and allowed guest to use the bathroom (including shower) on the day of arrival and departure (which was especially nice for me, since I arrived on 6:18 and departed on 21:50).

All I all, staying at Hotel Centro was a very pleasant experience. - The only two negative points to mention were:
* The air-condition in the room was not working (which was not too bad, since the nights were rather cool anyway) - Thus only 4 stars for the overall rating
* The filter coffee for breakfast was horrible (which was a huge surprise in Italy), but there was also the possibility to get an Espresso for breakfast, and this was (as expected) great!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2011

This hotel is location right in the center of Florence. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. I especially appreciated the front desk clerk Francesco. He helped us plan our day and other activities. Thanks Hotel Centro!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Overall hotel rooms in Florence are not cheap so I booked this hotel at a price that I thought it's quite reasonable, hoping that it's conveniently located. The location is ok but the walk from the train station is at least about 10-15 mins and that's if you don't get lost... Room is simple but a little tired...There was free wireless internet and complimentary breakfast... I booked a room with double bed but was given a room with 1 double bed and 2 single beds, so it's a larger room than we needed... Complimentary breakfast was decent and the hotel manager was friendly and warm... There are plenty of restaurants around the neighborhood and it's only couple mins walk from the leather market. Over all, it's a place to sleep but not to chill out...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelcentrofi, Direttore at Hotel Centro, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

Dear Guest thank you very much for your comment! We really appreciate people who want to share their experience with others and, most important with us. It's an unvaluable way to offer a better service.

I'm a little bit sorry to see you gave us a 3 out of 5 especially because you pointed out nice things.

As you know florence is very small and every place you go is at "walking distance". We surely say and confirm that we're close to the station because 800 meters (270 feets) or 10 minutes by foot in our opinion is close, very close. You don't need a taxi and you can save money for some food or wine or museum tickets!! In addition to this, the hotel even if it's so close to the station if far away from the "station noise"....

I'm very sorry you didn't like such a big room, your reservation was for a twin beds (2 separate beds) and we only had double big beds.
We then decided to move you in a quadruple room with 4 beds!! 1 big beds and 2 single beds. You just could choose wich one to use. Once again I think we have choosen thinking of your comfort and respecting your request. Reading your comment it seems you didn't like the solution.

As I usually do at the end of every comment I suggest you and all the people reading this to always speak and tell the Hotel staff if you've some concerns or problems or if you're not satisfied with something. Most of the time there's a quick and easy solution. We are here to please you and let you have a nice time.

Have a good day