“There are advantages and disadvantages...”
Review of Hotel Centro

Hotel Centro
Ranked #318 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I will start to mention first +
- central location, 5 minutes by foot from railway station and 5 minutes from Cathedral Doumo
- nice supermarket just door to door
- clean room and also clean outdoor bathroom
On the other hand there are also some -
- you are not welcome to come back to hotel after 1:00, even on Saturday...
- you have to all the time ring the door to whole boulding to get in because it is a need to leave all the time the key in reception- a little problem for people who appreciate private climate.
- loud at night from the streets

In conclusion perfect location for people who don't go sleep late and are looking for budget hotel in Florence.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pawel_hbg

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor about the hotel. How is was a great value for the money and how centrally located it was. So, I booked it for my trip last month (June 2012). Both fellows working the desk were courteous and helpful. The room was a nice size. HOWEVER, to my utter disappointment, the 'individually controlled air-conditioning' was controlled by one individual, but it wasn't the room occupant..it was the hotel manager. So, the fact that I was uncomfortably warm and couldn't get relief from the air conditioning because "...our owner doesn't think it is yet hot enough to turn on the air conditioning" was not what I wanted to hear.

Also, the first night, I was just inconvenienced by the heat. The second night, I was attacked by mosquitos because I had to have the window open due to no air circulation.

When I made a comment to the front desk,all I received was a shrug of the shoulders.

Not really the kind of customer service I was expecting from such a well-regarded hotel on here. :-(

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jay M
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed here during my brothers wedding last week. My family were staying up the road (won't mention names) for a LOT more money! It was ideally located for us as the wedding party were 300meters away.....it's a bit away from the centre, but Florence is a very condensed city and everywhere is within easy walking distance!
There were two men on reception over the week, both of them were really lovely- booking tours or letting us in in the middle if the night after the wedding!
Nobody minded my sister and her husband visiting either! Cleaners did a great job and very respectful.
The lift is very small and breakfast is far from an Irish fry but thats pretty normal for a European country!!!!!! The rooms are pretty spacious and we had the cutest little balcony (which the expensive hotel didn't - hence the visits from my family!). Be wary of Mosquitos I got destroyed - buy deet!
All in all would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Get a balcony, small but big enough for two seats and lovely for an hour in the evening!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A H
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed at Hotel Centro for 3 nights and must say I was very impressed. The hotel is right in the middle of everything which made my stay in Firenze great. I came in via train from Rome, the train station is very close to the station and easy to find. I was able to walk everywhere. The clerks were very helpful and even booked a couple of tours for me which was great. Because you are in the center of everything it does get pretty loud at night but it didnt bother me at all. I had a big bed in my room which was comfortable and a private bath, free wifi which helped cut my costs on phone calls using the free wifi calling feature on my phone. The breakfast was good and hotel was clean and nice. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. Thank you for making my stay in Firenze amazing!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Angelita L
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My wife and I (age late 20's early 30's) enjoyed our stay here. We got in by train to the Florence SMN station and followed the directions to the hotel (~5 min walk). Nice room with a sink and a beday. Shared bathroom has nice hot shower. Free wifi. We walked everywhere in Florence and was very enjoyable and easy. The price is also one of the cheapest in Florence. Highly recommend to young couples.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel during our stay in Italy. The hotel is definitely central – just a 2 minute stroll to Basilica San Lorenzo and a bit further to the Duomo.

The hotel is on the 1st floor (small lift in the building) of atypical Florentine building complex and the street has a range of shops with a supermarket just next door for your supplies.

The room was generous in size but dated. There was no curtains for blocking out the light coming through the shutters and noise was audible all night from the street. The bathroom was also dated but sufficient with warm-to-hot (not hot) running water. Ceiling fan was the only air cooling and unfortunately in room 203 it made a lot of noise when on. Rooms are not that sound proof, we could hear all the conversations and movements of our neighbors but this wasn’t too distracting.

The hotel manager was a friendly man and we enjoyed trying to converse with him but English was somewhat difficult. The breakfast spread is satisfactory but limited to pastries, cereals and yoghurt.

We were disappointed upon leaving when we asked how to get a taxi to take us to the car hire company and the staff member ordered us this vehicle without advising the €5.89 surcharge which doubled our fare.

Overall an average and dated choice but after all it is a 2 star hotel in central Florence and is a fair choice for a budget traveller.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the main road - only 2 rooms face the main road.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

They advertised free internet and breakfast and they did not deliver! They charged us 2 euro for the internet and then four euro for breakfast, when they priceline advertisements said that it would be free. Our bathroom was outside of the room that we were sleeping in. We had to go across the hall to get in. But we didn't mind because it was our own private bathroom and it was advertised before had that it would be this way. Overall I was very happy with this hotel because the location was great and so was the price! Just 5 minutes away from the duomo! it was unbelievable!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple