“Perfect location”
Review of Hotel Perseo

Hotel Perseo
Ranked #37 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I loved my stay at this hotel. Less than 10min walk from the train station, and ~15min walk or less to all the attractions (uffizi, accademia, duomo, point vecchio, many others). Except, about ~25 min walk to piazzale Michelangelo, but definitely go at sunset or just to see beautiful views of the city.

Hotel staff was wonderful, very friendly and accommodating. We wanted to see a short opera while there and one of the ladies called to find info for us. :)

Included breakfast was great! Awesome cappuccinos, large enough of a selection to fill up until lunch, easily. No hot foods, but that seemed to be uncommon for European hotels.

Wifi was included and worked well. The hotel and room were super clean and had modern decor and felt very safe. Room had a safe, A/C, and hairdryer, which most of the hotels on my trip to europe did not include.

Did not bother me at all, but the only thing that I could see as an issue for some people is that it's three floors up the stairs to get to the hotel. There is a lift, but I never saw anyone use it.

If I return to Florence, I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
There are newer reviews for Hotel Perseo

Reviewed 2 October 2011

I stayed there last year and again this year and was once again delighted with my experience. If you're looking for a central location, about 1 block from Il Duomo, this is it. The staff was helpful in promptly communicating via email, room descriptions and, happily, an upgrade opportunity to the Deluxe Superior room on the top floor. It had a cool view of Il Duomo and the Campanile, although there are a couple of TV antennas on the roof...but they don't block it. The room was delightfully quiet and large, relatively speaking. Mini fridge, nice bathroom (sliding glass door shower, hair dryer). The only comment is that my side of the bed had a pretty noticeable "dip" in the mattress, but it didn't affect getting 3 good nights' sleep. Breakfast was the typical - cereal, croissants, fruit, bread, juices and delicious coffee made fresh with each cup. I love the staff here -- they go out of their way to help you and to give you information to make your trip more enjoyable. It's about a 7 minute walk to the train station. If I return to Florence, you can bet I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Just got back from out trip to Italy, and for our stay in Florence we stayed at this hotel. There are pros and cons to this hotel. At the end of the day it was ok, I am not sure that that the pros out weigh the cons, but for the right people I would recommend this place. I'm not so sure I would stay here again, but then again, I didn't mind it.

There were four of us on the trip, (2 couples), and when we first arrived only two of us could go up with our luggage. The other two followed shortly on the very small elevator. I went to the fourth floor, only to find that registration is the third floor. When we arrived on Friday we were greeted by the owners I think - I believe a married couple. They were wonderfully helpful and kind and got us into our rooms immediately ( earlier than check- in). Our rooms were beside each other which was great, though our view was of a back lot - the room was bigger than our room in Rome, so that was a bonus. I wasn't a huge fan of the tile floor throughout - but just wore my flip-flops the whole time. The bathroom was fine, though the shower was extremely small. What we loved about this place was the location. It's literally STEPS from the Duomo, STEPS from Mercato Centrale, STEPS from shoppings, STEPS from the train station. We could not have asked for a better location.

Saturday and Sunday, the staff was not the same caring individuals. In fact when we asked questions, it felt as if we were bothering the woman working the front desk. Perhaps it was her sense of humor, but it didn't sit well with us.

Both days the breakfast room was packed when we got there. Though the food was good, the cappuccinos were delicious and it was all included, we had to wait for a table the first day in the tiny breakfast room and the second day we sat in the lobby and ate from plates in our laps. They also seemed to run out of food on the second day - slim pickings.

PROS: LOCATION! Unbelievable. It's wonderfully situated in a central location you won't regret choosing this place for the mere fact that it's in a superb area. Anna, the woman in the breakfast room is working her tail off - she's super. Wireless is great for at night/early morning when checking email, etc. AC in the rooms is individually controlled. Once we figured it out - it's a great AC unit. Large bed - didn't feel like two twins pushed together ( though I believe it was - you couldn't tell it at all).

CONS: It's an older building. The hotel is on the third floor, so you have to take the stairs or wait for the TINY, slow elevator that ONLY fits two people and one piece of small luggage. We took turns, two of us would take the stairs upon return, and two of us would take the elevator. The small shower and tile floor the firm mattress were not my thing. It may not bother you though - so if you are accustomed to that, you should be fine. They didn't have AC or a fan in the reception/lobby area. Check in, check out and waiting for the elevators was hot. We had to wait in line to check out, and it was hot and stuffy. Minor problem I know, but just trying to be as descriptive as possible. You are paying for the location. So just know that.

For 1 -2 nights I would stay here again. Not sure I would stay beyond that. Not to mention, the sheets weren't changed. Perhaps that's a European or "green" thing to do, but I had spilled makeup and had hoped they'd change the sheets, but no, the blush was still there. Picky, I know, but just trying to help you gage what you may/may not want in a hotel stay.

Again, great location. Just ok place.

Room Tip: I liked being on the 3rd fl because it's one less flight of stairs you might have to walk, howev...
4  Thank Abbie B
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This was a great hotel to stay at. It was close to the train station and within walking distance of all of the major sights in Florence.
The staff were friendly and very helpful. Free internet was a bonus that we didn't expect. The room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was good and the server there was always ready to make sure we had our morning cappuccino!
I would stay again at this hotel.

1  Thank adh758
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This place is a joke. Shabby run down old converted hotel. Lobby on 3rd floor building shared with other busines's. Rooms small, molding bathroom, wireless didn't work, no bell hop, two person elevator barely fit my wife, me and luggage, dark dingy halls. Don't know how they are even rated 3 stars. Shame on Expedia.

3  Thank Pat C
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Wow we can't say enough about the location of this boutique hotel and the staff. The location is around the corner from the Duomo and so you are so centrally located that it allows you to go out and come back a dozen times during the day to drop off your purchases! The room was spacious and we loved being able to open the window to hear the sounds of Florence.
The owners and their staff went over the top to make us feel like family. They gave excellent recommendations for dinners and were so very helpful. This is a hotel experience in Florence you don't want to miss!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a view. We didn't even have to ask they had one for us!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Too many good things to say about this hotel, but here are a few: the staff was very friendly and helpful, the location was perfect (a 2 minute walk to the Duomo and a 5-10 minute walk from the train station), the rooms were large, comfortable and clean, breakfast was simple but tasty, and the price was very reasonable. Overall, a great place to stay when visiting Florence!