“All-around superb!”

Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
Ranked #14 of 411 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is easily one of the best properties I've stayed at anywhere! Our room, the Panoramic Suite, had a huge, beautifully decorated bedroom leading onto a lovely balcony overlooking the Arno, with the Ponte Vecchio a block away. During our 2-night stay temporary scaffolding was in place at one side of our balcony for restoration of the neighboring building. I was very impressed that the hotel contacted me a month before our stay to alert me to the scaffolding, giving us the option to change to a different room or cancel our reservation. We debated, but in the end kept our reservation for the Panoramic Suite, and were glad we did; the scaffolding only partially obscured the view and should not cause anyone to avoid booking here.

The bed was the most comfortable we had anywhere during this 10-day visit to Venice and Florence, and it was always very quiet at night in our room; the doors and windows are modern and well sound-proofed, and the air conditioning kept us cool without making a racket.

The separate entrance room had a desk and a wide bay window with lounge cushions. For anyone who had to tear themselves away from the view to do work, the free wi-fi was very fast and reliable and the desk in the entrance room was wide enough to spread out papers and laptop. The electronic safe in the entrance room's closet was big enough to hold a large laptop with plenty of room left over for SLR cameras and other big items.

The toilet and bidet were in a separate room from the gorgeous main bathroom, all light-grey marble. This has a large tub with shower (not a separate shower enclosure).

The hotel has three separate terraces: one on the sixth floor where guests take breakfast, overlooking the Arno and NW Florence, another on the sixth floor served by the hotel's bar (staffed by a wonderful young bartender until 10 p.m., and on the honour system thereafter) with a truly stunning 270° view that takes in the Duomo, and finally a smaller terrace on the seventh (top) floor.

Although Antica Torre does not have a full-service restaurant, the bartender can make up a plate of tasty appetisers, and anyway there is no shortage of restaurants in the vicinity. We were pleased with the range of options in the hotel's breakfast buffet.

This would be a good hotel to choose if you'll be driving into Florence, as it is very straightforward to reach by car from the road on the N bank of the Arno, and the cross-street it faces is wide and has virtually no traffic so it's easy to park in front of the hotel to unload your luggage. The front desk coordinates valet parking at an affiliated lot if you don't want to go off to find self-parking options.

Not only is this a beautiful historic property, but it's also situated in a very classy neighbourhood: a Salvatore Ferragamo flagship store is directly across the street and the other nearby shops are high-end.

The multinational staff were all exceptionally pleasant and helpful, including with dinner reservations, and made us feel very welcome. Thoughtfully, they had a complimentary bottle of Prosecco waiting on ice for us upon our arrival.

On the same trip we also stayed 2 nights at Villa La Vedetta, on the other side of the Arno (reviewed separately), but we greatly preferred our time at Antica Torre, and would definitely stay here again on any future visit to Florence.

Room Tip: The Panoramic Suite has a lovely balcony overlooking the Arno
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear WMarkR,
there are not many words to say after reading the wonderful comment you poested on Tripadvisor. I'm glad, not, I'm honored to see such a good impression on you!
All the points you mentioned makes me feel proud about the property and the staff and I'm sorry if we let you debate about the scaffolding on the terrace but we always prefer to be clear and fair with our guest.
We wish to welcome you again and soon in lLorence and next time, you could recommend your friends to organize the wedding in our terrace and Salotto with sound immersion!!!
Grazie,

MAria Rita Bellini

There are newer reviews for Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni

Reviewed 13 August 2013

There are ONLY great things to say about Antica Torre. My hubby and I stayed here for 5 nights in July, and even before we checked in, the staff was accommodating, answering questions via email and setting up two different rooms (moving our luggage) because one room was completely booked the day we arrived.

We arrived by train and it was about a 10 minute walk from the train station. Since the streets are small and twisty, I suggest downloading and app like Maps with Me, which shows your position on the map. Upon check-in, we were given a map of Florence, and a short tour of the hotel which included both terraces and the breakfast room.

We stayed one night in a Deluxe Room and four nights in the Library Suite. The Deluxe Room was spacious and clean and a window that faced the sunset - in fact, my husband was uncertain if the Library Suite could measure up...but WOW - it felt like we were staying in a mansion!

Overall, the hotel was centrally located, safe, not overly crowded and you cannot beat the views!

1  Thank CorrineLDH
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear CorrineLDH,
thanks for sharing your experience with all the Tripavisor's friends.
I'm glad you had the chance to try 2 different room's catergories and much more I'm happy to know that both rooms were over your expectation!
I wish you could come back again your "Florentine mansion".
Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I take reviews with a pinch of salt but this hotel deserves one. Fab location, delicious breakfast on a beautiful terrace. We had a suite for 3 which we found good value for money in its price bracket.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
tornabuoni_1, Direttore generale at Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Vicky R,
I'm so glad the Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni 1 was over your expectation!
I wish to welcome you again in the next future and I'll be happy if you could experience also our unique Suites like the Renaissance Suite or the Panoramic Suite.
Grazie,

Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights with my girlfriend and we both loved it. It is a block away from thr point vecchio bridge and is right on the Arno river. We were in room 106 that had a view of the arno and half of the city. The best feature of the hotel is its roof top bar and seating. At night, on the 7th floor, one can get a glass of wine and watch the sun set on the entiriety of Florence and the Arno. The staff was super friendly and great and the complimentary breakfast was the best we had in all of Europe. For what you get, this hotel is a super bargain. I reccomend it to anyone.

1  Thank Robert C

Dear Robert C,
your words make me proud of the staff!
I'm glad you loved our Panoramic Terraces that with the red sunset it's a real "Florentine dream", also I'm happy you find our breakfast the best you had in all Europe!
I wish to have the opportunity to welcome you again in Florence and please, contact me directly in case of reservation.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We add our voice to the glowing reviews. We stayed four nights, leaving August 2. I will say in detail below the reasons we liked building - but the best reason to select Antica is the exceptionally gracious and helpful staff. Daniel, Mika, Martina and Rita among others helped us navigate the city and were a wealth of English speaking, useful knowledge. They were also very responsive to emails before we arrived. The staff just makes this place a world class hotel.

Antica has that "pinch me I'm in Italy" feeling many travelers go for. I don't want to fly 4,000 miles to stay in a room that could be anywhere! Antica oozes Italian charm. Our room was an apartment which was had a small kitchen and big living room plus a bedroom. We are a family of two adults and three older teen boys. Bathroom was consistent with European baths. Whole place is clean and yes, the views are once in a lifetime. Breakfast was better than average for Italy and included hot items like eggs and bacon. Great espresso!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank marieSuburbanChicago

Dear marieSuburbanChicago,
I should thank you for the kind words you spend about the staff, I'm sure it will offer them a further motivation for making better and better everyday.
I believe that the charm you mention it's just the right balance of Italian hospitality (even if the staff is composed by "Italian" foreign nationals), location and the magnificent Florence you could see form the terraces!
We look forward to welcome you back again,

Reviewed 4 August 2013

As so many other reviewers have noted, the amazing feature of this hotel is the various views from the different terraces. It really is incredible and gives you a fantastic feel for Florence. The location is also excellent as it is a relatively short walk to everything you want to see in the historic centre.

Our room was a decent size and very attractive - 504 - with a lovely view of the Duomo, very comfortable bed, good quality linen, safe, aircon, elegantly tiled bathroom with all the trimmings. It was also very quiet and peaceful - a perfect retreat from a very busy city.

Breakfast was served in again a very elegant room with a small balcony with 5 tables overlooking the Arno. A tornado earlier in the month blew away the awning on the main terrace where breakfast was previously served. It also broke the large parasols - this was unfortunate and the only downside to our stay (which will of course be rectified) in that you couldn't sit out on the terraces for lunch, say, as it was way too hot.

Breakfast itself was excellent - lots of fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals, good quality hams and cheeses, interesting crostini, bacon, eggs, frittata, croissants etc. All in all a really nice experience.

The staff were incredibly charming - particularly the bartender, a young man born and bred in FLorence who was both very friendly and extremely professional; although, a minor criticism, when we told the receptionist/concierge we were going to a certain restaurant in Piazza Santa Croce, she said how lovely, beautiful square -when in fact that particular evening the square was closed to the public because of huge event with Roberto Benigni (big star in Italy). We felt she should really have known this was going on....

But without doubt we would stay here again - nothing can dent the magic of the views from the roof terraces - either in the relative cool of the morning with a good breakfast, or of an evening watching the sun set over the River Arno with a glass of prosecco to hand.

1  Thank member53

Dear member53,
I want to thank you for all the wonderful words you spend about the Antica Torre di VIa Tornabuoni 1 and for the detailed description of all our services and amenities.
I should confess that Roberto Benigni is a real Italian celebrity (Oscar on 1997 with "Life is Beautiful") and from many years now, he spend few nights during the summer, explaining the "Divine Comedy"... next time you'll be in Florence, we will take care to advise in advance about all the events and concerts in Florence!
Please, feel free to contact me anytime and if you are planning to come back in Florence call us, in order to assure the best possible service.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

LOVED this hotel!
The location was amazing, the staff were so friendly and helpful, and the room... WOW.
We stayed in this hotel for our honeymoon, so chose to stay in the romantic suite. It was just that, so romantic. The room was beautiful and the view of the river was so special. Loved looking out of our huge windows every day.
The huge jacuzzi was an added bonus, and the rose petals that were waiting for my husband and I one night was such an amazing touch.
We were greeted with prosecco and little snacks the first day in our room, again such a lovely touch.
It was great that they had DVD's available too that you could just take and watch without any restrictions. This was lovely when we just wanted to enjoy a relaxing evening or afternoon in our beautiful room.
The view from the top of the hotel was magnificent, and really made our stay all the more romantic.
If we come back to Florence (which I hope we do!) we will be staying here

Room Tip: Romantic suite for a slice of luxury and an amazing view

Dear Diamondsinchampagne,
thank you for choosing the Antica Torre di VIa Tornabuoni for your honeymoon!
The room you booked it's absolutely perfect for such a special occasion and I'm happy you appreciated all our little details and thoughts that made your stay memorable.
I'm pleased you appreciate our DVDs collection, we started this winter to collect movies and I realized that our guests "loved" it, so we will do our best to offer always a better selection of movies!
Please, be so kind to contact me if you are planning to spend your anniversary in Florence, I'll be happy to offer a special treatment!