“Can't Beat the Location and View but Front Desk was Cold and Aloof”
Review of Hotel Degli Orafi

Hotel Degli Orafi
Ranked #31 of 420 Hotels in Florence
St. Thomas
“Can't Beat the Location and View but Front Desk was Cold and Aloof”
Reviewed 28 November 2009

Unbeatable central location, gorgeous rooftop view and great room, but was it worth the condescending 'tude from the front desk crew? Not for us and our money. We thought they would be nicer judged from the attentive email communication, but were sorely disappointed when we got there. We will not be staying at Hotel Degli Orafi for our next trip to Florence, and doubt that Reception could care less. They didn't even ask how our stay was when we checked out. Wondering if this hotel is resting on their "Room With A View" laurels?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 14 November 2009

The hotel is located across Ponte Vecchio and only 2 minute walk from the Uffizi museum. Breakfast is the best amongst other hotels that I've stayed with in Italy. With a very artistic breakfast room and excellent staff, we really enjoyed our breakfast everyday. The room is spacious and clean. I would recommend to stay in a room with a view.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
illinois
Reviewed 10 November 2009

the staff was great,the best location,roomy and clean accomandtions.What else do you need? this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
CT
Reviewed 3 November 2009

We recently stayed in a triple room at the Degli Orafi for three days with our college age daughter on break from her student abroad program. We picked it for the central location and the reviews on Trip Advisor. I thought that for the most part the hotel lived up to its good reviews. If you want to be in the action, this is the place to be. Since we only had three days, we wanted to see as much as possible, and we could walk out the door and be in the center of shopping, next door to the Uffizi, and down the street from great restaurants. The down side was the noise from our room which was on the first floor overlooking the river, with a nice view, but impossible to open the windows because the noise from the street was so deafening. We stayed over on a Saturday night and it was unbelievably noisy until about 5 am. Motorcycles, cars and trucks are literally zooming down the road day and night . The hotel offered us another room for Sunday night but it was only a double and could not accommodate our daughter. The other downside of the hotel was the hard beds, but I understand that this is usual for Italian hotels. The breakfast was superb with ample selection of foods, and the breakfast room was beautiful. There was a nice lounge on our floor, and my husband fell in love with the fifth floor lounge, restaurant and roof top bar where he spent time on his computer (no Wi-Fi yet but they said they are working on it) with his cocktail and appetizers every night and said the bartender was a terrific guy. We also had a delicious lunch there one day. I would definately recommend this hotel, and I would stay there again, but I would ask for a room away from the street . By the way, we had good service and the front desk personnel spoke English well .

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
united states
Reviewed 31 October 2009

I was actually very hopeful when I first walked into Hotel degli Orafi-- the first gentleman that helped me was very nice (unfortunately, he was not there for the rest of the weekend) and the lobby was very clean and modern. However, I began to suspect trouble when I walked into my room, which had a door onto an enclosed, closed off balcony (no natural light). I went to take a nap and pulled back the covers and found a shoe-print on the sheets-- I didn't think much of it, but I went to the other side of the bed and fell asleep. A little while later, I awoke to the sound of dripping and realized that the ceiling was leaking profusely. Not a huge deal, this happens from time to time, but the way in which they handled it was very brusque and unhelpful. They made me sit in my room until the bellman, who was completely overworked) could come get me half an hour later to change rooms, despite me telling them that I had to meet someone in twenty minutes. All of that would have been fine, especially because they moved me a nicer (but smaller) room on the fourth floor which actually had two windows and a nice bathroom. The beds were hard, but comfortable by Italian standards and the bathrooms in both rooms were beautiful (but my shower wouldn't drain).

However, I was traveling alone and asked for a double room with a single use price (that is, not paying for a second person's breakfast). I got the run-around from multiple staff-- one told me that it was impossible because I had already paid for double use rate and they were unable to refund my credit card, another told me it was possible but I needed to speak with a manager, and the manager herself lied to my face and told me that it was never an option to have a double room single-use rate (look on their website-- it is). I finally gave up and took a friend up to the rooftop bar for my "welcome drink" and figured that since I was paying the double-use price, they would surely give me two welcome drinks. I was immediately stopped and informed that i was only entitled to one welcome drink because there was only one person registered at the hotel.

Unfortunately, the lying, attitude, and lack of courtesy ruined the beautiful views and amazing location for me-- I will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank lovetoeatandsleep
HDO, Managing Director at Hotel Degli Orafi, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
Dear Madam,

we are actually very surprised by your negative comment.

First of all, we wish to apologize once again for the inconvenience caused by the leaking ceiling due to a suddenly broken tube. Once again, we would like to explain you that it took us some time (less than 30 minutes!) to move you to another room since the hotel was fully booked at about 6 p.m. (Friday night, peak season). We had to arrange in few minutes an “emergency” planning of all rooms, since they were all busy by that time. Our “rude” staff made all efforts to accommodate you in another nice room as soon as possible and deeply apologized for that since it was, of course, our fault (even though as you can clearly understand it did not depend on our “rude” behaviour).

Furthermore, we do not understand why you mention the shoe print on the sheets only now…….. we find it a little bit unusual since every time you came to the reception front desk you did not say anything about it. Anyway, we apologize for that as well, even though we find it quite odd.

Regarding your reservation, we wish to point out the fact - once again as our multiple staff tried several times to explain you - that you booked a standard double room (no view facing the river, in case you wanted one you should have booked an executive with view guaranteed at a much higher price) at our “not refundable” special offer, that includes a 20% discount of the best available rate (I am sure you have found all the details in our website). The special rate you booked was linked to the double room (one big bed) not depending on the number of people staying in the room
Anyway, we offered you to move to a single room (with a single bed) refunding you the difference of price, but you chose to remain in your “nice” double room (with a big bed)

Last but not least, our “unpolite staff” kindly offered a welcome drink to your friend upon your request

We would like to express once again all our staff apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused during your stay in our lovely city. We do all our efforts to make our customers’ stay memorable as witnessed in the several reviews on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your kind attention.
Yours Sincerely,

Rossella Nelli
Managing Director
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Just a few blocks from the Ponte Vecchio, this hotel was just wonderful. We understand that it was once a monastery. Our room was light and sunny (#404/405). Although there was no great view from our windows, the sun shone through and the room was so clean and bright. There was champagne waiting for us, compliments of the hotel, since we notified the hotel that it was our anniversary. Now, I notified all hotels that we were traveling to Italy to celebrate an anniversary, but, this was the only hotel that made the effort to make our stay special. The bathroom was also very clean, bright and large. There is a roof top bar and the views are spectacular. We enjoyed early evening drinks and small snacks each evening before we started our evenings out. Sunsets from the rooftop was amazing. And, we met some lovely people from around the world there as well. The bartender was very helpful, too. She had great recommendations for dinners in the area. The breakfast room was spectacular. One of the most beautiful rooms. The front desk staff were very helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Columbus
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We had a wonderful 3 night stay at the end of September. Everything about this hotel was spot on. The location is perfect, the rooms large and updated and the breakfast was the best we have ever had on our trips to Italy. We also found the staff very helpful. We will stay at this hotel whenever we are in Florence.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple