“Worse than I could expected”
Review of Piccolo Hotel

Piccolo Hotel
Ranked #365 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Basel, Switzerland
“Worse than I could expected”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I must admit that I let my boyfriend to book the hotel this time and when we arrived it was a nice surprise. The room was very cheap what was definitely convenient. I didn’t read any reviews, especially here, and this was my big mistake. It’s all true what people write here. Bathroom is small, toilet shared with shower, but that’s ok for the price. Indeed there is a charge for everyday of 4E, air tax or however it is call. All the hotels do that. Wi-fi is not great; the room is just very basic. It was fine for me as it was only for one night.
The worst though was the next day. I got home without any problems; however, I had this itchy spots on my skin. The next day when I woke up, half of my face grew up due to the bites; one hand was doubled sized due to the bites and the other hand only one finger fortunately grew bigger. I have been severely bitten during the night. I had to go to the doctor and stayed for 3 days at home. The pain was horrible, the appearance even worse. My all skin got really red.
I am a budget traveler but I must admit never before something like that happened to me. If you decide to stay in this place, prepare some insects spray or something to protect you!
And yes, it’s close to the center, the only convenient thing about this place. Around the corner is a nice place to have a breakfast so I cannot say how it is in the hotel, but def overprized (they want 5 E per person).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mirable

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We booked this Hotel for a 4-night stay online. Since the Piccolo advertises having a special agreement with a parking garage and we rented a car, this was one of our decision taking points to choose this hotel.
After an exhausting search for the hotel, which is located in a small street, accessable for pedestrians or residential cars, we finally found the hotel. We made the wise decision to first leave our luggage in the car.
Entering the hotel, you think you are on a construction site, everything looks old, damaged and empty. A small and unsecrure circular staircase (without elevator!) later, we reached the front desk where we found nobody. The hotel person was smoking on the stairs and - of course - before attending her new guests, she absolutely wanted to finish enjoying her cigarette. We asked for a parking space to leave the car. Her answer: Parking in Florence is very expensive, you will pay around 15-10 € a day. On the question of this special contract they advertise on their website, she answered: "Yes, it is true, you just go to street xx and tell them you would come from us and you pay: 25 € a day".
This was the first bomb. But the real touristic Nagasaki was dropped when we first checked out our room. Everything was sooooo filthy, disgusting. The balcony was covered by dove/bird excrements (which is a big health risk) and the nightmare in person was the bathroom. Over and over covered with mould, toilet & shower had a yellow-brown pattina of urine stains and propably also excrement stains. We showed this to the woman and she said: You can of course go to another hotel, I don't mind! We left the hotel 10 min later and have only been refunded 50 % of our payment (without using the room or any amenities!). This was our worst experience EVER!

Room Tip: Don't stay here, you will get sick from the germs.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Worldcitizen_12

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Reviewed 23 October 2013

First, there is no elevator. So if you have luggage, be prepared to drag it up two flights of stairs to get to the reception desk. When we arrived, they had lost our reservation. The clerk told us that basically, it was too bad and we couldn't stay there, they were going to move us to a hotel on the other side of Florence for the night and that we would have to pay for the taxi to get there. And then we would have to take a another taxi to get back to piccolo the next day for our room. He was extremely rude and did not seem to have a decent sense of what customer service was at all. The compensation he was offering for our inconvenience was not acceptable, in fact it was just more inconvenient. When we finally got our room (they gave us our room eventually), it was really unclean and the bathroom was disgusting. It was such a run down place. I've stayed in much nicer youth hostels. On the second morning I woke up with a massive spider bite on my arm. The hotel was close to the city centre, but that really did not make up for how awful our experience was there. Our reservation papers also said checkout was at 11am, when in fact it was at 10am. So at 10:30am when we were told we missed our checkout time, we had to scramble to get ourselves out of there. Their wifi was shotty, and they only took cash for the city tax charge (every other hotel we stayed at in Italy took credit for the city tax). This was probably my worst experience ever in a hotel and I wouldn't recommend it on any grounds to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Lucie R
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We read the bad reviews on Trip Advisor but booked anyway because it was in our price range. When you arrive there are "add on" costs for more things. These costs were only allowed to be paid in cash.These people are shady. We asked multiple times for a receipt and the guy wouldn't give us one. He also tried to tell us he couldn't give us change when we paid with a 10 euro for something that was only 2 euro. We can expense travel costs but we must have a record. He just kept making up excuses for why he couldn't write us a receipt. I think either they are adding extra costs and stealing OR just trying to fly under the radar on taxes. Also the room smelled really questionable. Florence has so many nice places there is no use in waiting your time with something like this.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tmo111
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

We had an awful experience at this hotel! It all started with a very rude and poor service provided at the reception, you have to pay for air conditioning, rooms were not clean at all and the internet doesnt work well!

Avoid it if you still can! Definitely dont recommend!

5 Thank Lucasjfc
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We visited this hotel Sept of 2011 for 3 days.
We enjoyed our stay very much.
The weather was very hot and the air conditioning was a wonderful treat.
The room was spacious and the bed was comfortable and firm. The bath and room were spotless.
It is located within walking distance to all sights.
The front desk staff were all very helpful.
The breakfast was good.
This is a modest hotel with a modest cost and was perfect for us.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank curtis c
Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My sister and I stayed her last summer. I'm surprised at the recent negative reviews of the place. When we stayed there, they staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. We only ate breakfast there, but it was just fine. If you expect the Hilton, then stay at the Hilton. I loved this place! The location was great--easy walking distance to all the attractions and the train station. I would definitely stay there if I get the opportunity to travel to Florence again.

Room Tip: We booked online, and our room turned out fine.
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled with family