“Loved the Relais Cavalcanti”
Review of Relais Cavalcanti

Relais Cavalcanti
Ranked #110 of 657 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 July 2005

My family and I, including my husband and 2 teenage children, just returned from visiting several cities in Italy. In Florence we stayed at the Relais Cavalcanti, a lovely little hotel in a 700 year old building in the heart of Florence. Our room, a quad, was roomy and spotless with high ceilings, a beautiful chandelier and a large window. The shower was a little tight but the bathroom was clean and updated. There is a refrigerator in the room which made it easy to store drinks and leftovers and there is a kitchen that all the guests have access to with snacks, tea, cooking facilities and table and chairs. The staff however really made this place special. Andrea, originally from Phili, recommended places for the best food, gelato and Sicilian ices as well as places to avoid. She mapped out directions to the laundromat, the local festival and all the important sights. It really made our stay in Florence fabulous. The only drawback to this hotel is the stairs. There is a small elevator but you have to go up a flight of stairs to reach it. We did fine but someone with mobility issues might have some trouble. Good value for the money. We highly recommend this lovely place.

10  Thank Bklyn628

Reviewed 28 July 2005

I have read all the great reviews here and i was somehow dissapointed with this b&b! It was cute and the location was really great but i wasn't very impressed with the rooms. (to be more precise with OUR room because the others may have been better). The bathroom was very clean, new and spacious which i liked a lot!
For 120€ i think the room was fine and very acceptable and probably for a next trip to Florence i would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank cristina30
Reviewed 27 July 2005

The Cavalacanti rooming house was the nightmare of our month-long vacation in Italy. It is not a hotel at all but a flop house with four rooms (no breakfast). From the first moment we arrived to the last moment in which we paid the required cancellation fee (that same afternoon), my wife was almost in tears. Please read on..

The rooms were above a tavern which also housed apartments on all of the floors except the floor where the Cavalcanti is situated. There were five keys which we had to use to access all the doors, stairways and elevator. The clerk instructed us to "make sure that we paid attention when she explained the keys since if we did not, we would have much trouble after drinking too much wine". Nice.

The room itself was not clean and the bed very old and lumpy. The "complimentary" water in the mini-bar looked as if it had been opened and refilled. But the soiled bedspread was the last straw for my wife.

If you would like a small, clean hotel room, do not stay here. If you intend on flopping after a good drunk then you will be OK. No more said.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank Genova
Management response:Responded 15 September 2005

Actually this is not a response to whom wrote this bad words about our place. I remember this couple who stayed here not more than 5 minutes, booked somewhere else before leaving (or before arriving, who knows????) and expected to cancel their 5 nights of reservation without paying anything. The one night cancellation fee is problably the main reason of this renvenge, pardon I should have written this "review".

Anyway the best part of Tripadvisor is that anyone can write whatever they want about a trip or a place. Even if sometimes the words said are not true. So I thought I should write this note first of all to the many guests who enjoyed our place in the last 3 years. I'm sorry, certainly you were not drunk when you stayed at our Relais. I wanted to thank you again for choosing our little place and for your beautiful comments and words written on our Guestbook and on Tripadvisor too!!!

On the other hand I want to introduce our Relais to whom we might have the pleasure to meet in the future. Our place is not a hotel. It's a lovely warm home with a familiar management. Me (Anna), my sister (Francesca) and a friend (Andrea) are running this place and we will do our best to make your stay as nice as possible.

We opened our private home in the heart of Florence 3 years ago to share it with art lovers, lovers of culture and those who can appreciate the beautiful things a unique environment in an elegant and refined Florentine residence can offer. Every detail is taken care of just as it would be in your own home.
Our exceptional position, two minutes away from the Ponte Vecchio, The Uffizi, and the Duomo, provides who stays with us easy access by foot to all the most important and inspirational areas of the city, at the same time enjoying a tranquil refuge, where one can rest throughout the course of the day.
Our rooms are clean, romantic and luminous. They were recently totally renovated and we personally provide the furnishings, choosing with care between antiques that have been part of our family for generations and pieces made by master Florentine craftsmen. Just think that our wardrobes, each one different from the other, were completely hand decorated, while our headboards have been gilded using a century’s old technique.

From our location our guests are able to enjoy some of the nicest views of Florence. Our superior rooms look out onto the Tower of the Palazzo Vecchio, Orsanmichele Church and the 500 year old New Market (known as the “Mercato del Porcellino” ), still today an animated market that is characteristic of Florence. Other superior rooms face out onto an ancient mediaeval neighbourhood of the city known for its distinctive towers, houses and 300 year old Palagio di Parte Guelfa.

We have not forgotten the modern comforts and conveniences. Each room is equipped with large and private bathrooms with shower or tub, TV with satellite cable, refrigerator, telephone, internet access, double windows (particularly useful in downtown historical centre), and self-regulated air conditioning and heating. All of our rooms are non-smoking only.

As in a private house, our guests can enjoy a delightful living room accented with antique furnishings and a comfortable sofa, as well as a large dining room with small kitchen, where one can make coffee, tea, hot chocolate and choose from an assortment of cookies and sweets, maybe while reading a book or listening to some pleasant music.

We personally manage Relais Cavalcanti and you will be able to come to us for any questions or information every morning from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM and often also in the afternoons up until 6:00 PM. Our guests have their own 5 keys to get in and out of the apartment and there is NO curfew.

We will reserve for you, at no extra cost, tickets for the principal Florentine museums, shows and organized tours of Florence and Tuscany according to your specifications for preferred dates and times. It is possible, with at least a week’s notice, to organize baby-sitting services, car rentals with driver, wine tasting, ect.. We do not have our own parking place but when you arrive to Florence by car we will be more than happy to indicate the garages close by.

Please note that we are on the forth floor with elevator (lift), but there are 21 stairs to reach the lift from the main front door on the road. The rest of the building has only private apartments and the area is safe and quite.

This is all I want to say about our place. If you will decide to meet us you can be sure that you will find what I have written.

One last note: If during your vacation you cannot see yourself getting by without the usual services a hotel provides such as bar, restaurant, 24 hour reception, room service, laundry facilities or porter, unfortunately, we will not be able to satisfy you. However, if you know how to appreciate a cosy and authentic environment in a beautiful private home right in the centre of one of the most gorgeous cities in the world, then we are quite sure you will not be disappointed…

Reviewed 30 June 2005

We stayed here for 4 nites and for 2 women the room was spacious. Even with the pub downstairs it was nice and quiet with the double paned windows. The only strange thing was the open upper partition in the bathroom. We had to keep the door closed because we could hear the other person in the room next to us. Otherwise, it was great, a/c worked and beds were comfortable. Andrea was extremely informative and the price was very reasonable

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank europeadventurer
Reviewed 28 June 2005

My friend and I stayed at this B&B for 5 nights in Florence. The B&B itself is very clean, and beautiful. We enjoyed this B&B but didn't feel a "homeness" that we've encountered at other Italian B&Bs. Andrea, the girl who greeted us was wonderful! We loved her and thought her advise was very helpful. She's from Philadelphia and has lived in Florence for quite a while. She's only part-time so don't get too attached. The other ladies are nice as well but they are not around very much, sometimes you won't see them until 9:00 the next morning. Unlike most B&B's no staff member is there at night. We didn't like the fact that if there was an emergency there was no way to contact them. My mother (who was also staying there with my sister) actually requested they post their "after-hours" phone numbers on the glass lobby door after some guests arrived with no one to greet them. I will tell you this was not the fault of the B&B but the U.S. travel agent who booked them (or neglected to book them) but as guests we couldn't contact the innkeeper(s) to let them know. The ladies ended up staying elsewhere until the following day.

The rooms were lovely and the bathrooms very big compared to other B&B's we've stayed in. We stayed right by the "kitchen" area. This B&B does not service breakfast. They do have coffee and you can help yourself to condiments and a snack. The rooms are equipped with a fridge so my friend and I bought yogurt, fruit and cereal for breakfast (something I recommend for anyone on a budget). We felt the beds were horrible. The beds were rock hard and I had difficulty getting comfortable. My roommate had the same complaints while my mother and sister thought the beds were fine (so maybe it was just our room).

Remember this building is an old one. Carpet does not exist in this B&B so every time a door opens or someone walks down the hall it's heard by all. Sleeping late would be a great feat in this B&B.

If you are looking for a convenient, clean, and nice B&B this is a great place to stay but I'm giving it an "average" rating because of what I encountered while I was there.

• Stayed: June 2005