“Needs Some Money Spent on It”
Review of Hotel Panama

Hotel Panama
Ranked #247 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked this expecting more than what we got based on the star rating from trip advisor and the amount we paid. The hotel is a good 20 minutes walk from the main attractions. We had a room facing the back carpark with a balcony which was nice. We had one big bedroom and a small sitting area that our boys slept in, in a fold out chair. The bed was a very thin, rickety mattress which I would not recommend for an adult to sleep on though our boys seemed to sleep ok. It was very hot but we were told the a/c isn't allowed to be used until June. The breakfast was basic, yoghurt, few slices of meat and cheese and some bread. There were a few broken things in the room that needed fixing and the wallpaper was peeling off the wall in places. This place may have once been lovely but its beauty has definitely faded. I would hope there are better places out there for the money we spent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I am generally not very fussy when it comes to lodging while travelling. But when all of the following happened at the same time and place, I am really compelled to write this negative review:
1. Noisy air conditioner.
2. Noisy environment. Every night I could hear cars driving past the hotel, and inconsiderate guests allowing the door to slam shut. The latter of course was not the hotel's fault, but it also reflects the poor soundproofing and partition of the rooms.
2. Certain area of the room had ants crawling and mosquitoes were present in spite of a repellent.
3. Unstable WiFi.
4. Room and washroom were dimly lit. I couldn't put most of my toiletries on the washroom sink because it was slanted downward and they would fall into the sink. Some parts of the washroom would be flooded after taking a shower even though the shower cubicle was closed. I felt bad for the cleaning lady actually.
5. Breakfast: Toaster was not working, I had to toast the bread twice, and even so, the middle part of the bread was completely soft. And I thought the use of plastic cups was not very environmental friendly.

When I had wanted to inform the hotel staff of my dissatisfaction, before I could even finish item number one above, I was talked down like I was an idiot who did not know how to switch off the air conditioner. Perhaps the young chap had a rough day. The other staffs, however, were very friendly, especially Mr. Eigino Rossi.

So, in short, I was not expecting a Ritz Carlton quality and treatment, but if I do return to Florence, I would opt for another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank yiklim
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed for two nights recently May 2014. This hotel is centrally located and it is on the second floor. You need to use a small elevator to get your luggage up to the reception. We were given a room on the back, which was very quiet but too many mosquito's as we had the window open slightly for air overnight. We were biten alive. The room - well it was clean and the bathroom appeared to have been recently redone and new. Our room size was one of the smallest rooms we have ever seen. It was max. 10'x10' across with a large wardrobe, bar fridge, tv and a small table along the bed. The art work was very tacky looking and the soap dish in the bathroom was a plastic pop/soda bottle cut down to hold the soap? I am telling the truth! There was a shelf above the bar fridge which held the flat screen TV. The shelf legs were used coke cans. We accidently knocked it, and the can crushed sending the tv almost to the floor. We removed the shelf and just placed the TV on top of the bar fridge instead... The chandelier or light fixture over the bed was a prize too, It was made of plastic soda can holders all fuzzed together around a light bulb with plastic pieces hanging? OMG...for this money? mmmm? On other points the buffet was fine for breakfast. We were leaving early for a tour our first morning and the staff gave us a take out bag for breakfast which we appreciated. The hotel is centrally located and easy walking distance to town. The staff was very friendly and for two busy days, this was fine...maybe they will change out the soap dish and light fixture and shelving by then? LOL

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is quieter I believe
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The bed was very poor. Moldy bed cover & too old blanket. And they never turned on the heating system while the temp went down under 10 degree Celsius at night (on May).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChoiKI
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in early April and found the hotel very pleasant and ideally situated to explore the sights of Florence.
The owner was extremely helpful and gave us lots of useful information on local attractions.
Would certainly stay again when we next visit this beautiful city

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Nice little hotel, just 15-20 minutes walk from the city center. The building in old and atmospheric. Friendly staff, quiet room, mine was in top floor and window to the yard side. Bathroom was wonder of space but worked well. Bikes free to borrow.
Breakfast wasn't wide-ranging, but enough for to start the day. It's not healthy to eat too much :-)).
Defenetly worth the price!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank remarqe
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I wound up here based on being able to use some points to book a couple of nights. I was looking to go very inexpensively, and my single room was definitely basic, a little bit tired, with a very small en suite bathroom, but nothing to complain about. The free wi-fi was great, breakfast was fine. It is about a 15-20 minute walk into the centre of Florence-- something to be aware of, but a pleasant, safe walk in any case. The staff all spoke English and were very welcoming, knowledgeable, and helpful. There are some negative reviews here, and I was bitten alive one night by mosquitos, but hard to say whether that was an isolated incident or not.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo