“The friendly staff puts this one over the top”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Colomba

Hotel Colomba
Ranked #63 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Tampa, Florida
“The friendly staff puts this one over the top”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

Having travelled in Europe before, I know hotels are a gamble. The pictures don't tell the whole story and there's always something I wish I'd known before I booked. The Hotel Colomba is no exception - you can't tell from the literature or website how clean, comfortable, and convenient it is. We arrived in the afternoon and were greeted warmly, checked in, and shown to Room 8; two singles with a view of a small courtyard.

The room had a wardrobe, television with SKY tv, a desk, luggage stand (big enough for two carry-on suitcases), two nightstands and a stocked mini-fridge. The bathroom was HUGE by European standards, but I think we got a handicap-accessible room. The beds were a little firm for my friend's taste, but I was completely comfortable. The room was spotlessly clean every day and perfectly maintained; the owner's husband Michael even replaced our broken shower head before we remembered to report it!

The remote-controlled AC was a cool comfort after a day of shopping and sight seeing, for which we were perfectly located. The leather market is around the corner, the Piazza Duomo down the street to the right and little shops and restaurants everywhere.

But the best part of the stay is by far the proprietor and her husband; they are so warm, friendly and personable that they made a good stay into a great one. Rosanna greeted us every morning with a genuine smile and a coffee to order, and was happy to recommend restaurants and give advice on what to see. I don't think I've ever felt so at home away from home!

If you plan to visit Florence, you can't go wrong with Hotel Colomba. I look forward to going back!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

The Hotel Colomba is a real gem...a wonderful experience for me, my husband and our two children (both in their early 20's). We felt at home right away, thanks to proprietors Rosanna and husband Michael and their friendly staff. Any time we needed advice or special service, they were there to help us. Breakfast was excellent (lots of choices...from muesli to hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, prosciutto, cheese, pastries, yogurt, and delicious cappuccino or other coffee made to order). The hotel is centrally located so it's easy to walk to all the main attractions of Florence (the Uffizi, the Accademia, the Duomo and lots more). There are so many great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. And, it's only a short walk from the train station. Our rooms were large, comfortable and clean, and air-conditioned.

• Stayed July 2009
Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

I was very pleased with Hotel Colomba. I wasn't sure how it would be from the pictures I saw posted. These pictures do not do the rooms justice. We had a great size room with a double bed and a twin. A full bath, safe, and a/c. My husband was really excited that they had SKY tv so we could watch some American tv during our stay. The owners couldn't have been any nicer. They were so helpful and even let us store our bags before our train. The location was great. Really close to Duomo and the Academia. Not to mention the best gelato shop just a block away!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

I had to laugh when I read the last review--it was my experience exactly! My first impression of Florence driving in from the airport and pulling up to the hotel was that I had never seen a shabbier, dirtier, more graffiti ridden place in my life. It was with a heavy heart and the thought, "Oh my gosh what have I gotten into?" that I climbed the stairs up to the Hotel Colomba. But the gracious, helpful hosts and the spotlessly clean room and bathroom saved the day! I loved this place, the great location, the generous breakfasts but especially the warm and helpful hosts. We had tickets for the Academia the next day and when we called to confirm our tour the tour company didn't have our reservation! Our hostess took the matter in hand at once, talked to the company, faxed them copies of our vouchers and had the whole thing straightened out in 5 minutes! She also called our B&B hostess in the Cinque Terre and made sure there would be someone to meet us when we arrived at our next destination. The people here were so friendly and nice, and I loved the accomodations so much--it really went a long way in giving me a more positive experience in Florence. But the graffiti--even the walls of the Academia where the David resides is covered with it. But again, I have nothing but warm memories of our stay at the Hotel Colomba, and I would recommend it to anyone staying in Florence--just a lovely experience!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Berkeley CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2009

Let's get the negative first impressions out of the way first! The hotel is located on a busy, dirty street and the entrance is dingy and grimy: you take a small elevator up several flights to Colomba, where we got out to see a stained carpet and fluorescent lighting. The heart sinks.

However--once we got in, the room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Yes, it is simply furnished and has a bit of a hostel/dormitory feel, but I never stayed in a hostel with private bath, TV, and free internet. The owners were charming and extremely helpful with questions and all sorts of odds and ends. Breakfast was substantial. It's a very short walk to the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, and other sights and museums. We had a pleasant stay.

If you drive, as we did, there are a couple of garages nearby. We opted for valet service, which made life much easier.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank WeRFamily
scottsdale, arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

My sister and I very much enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Colomba. The hotel was within walking distance of the main train station, although it was a bit of a hike. The location was excellent, near the Duomo, markets and all the main sights. I can't say enough about how accomodating, friendly and gracious the owner and her staff were. One of the women who worked there was even kind enough to empty out a box of supplies so that I could use it to bring home my purchases. The rooms were clean and spacious; the air conditioning worked well and free use of a computer with internet was provided. Breakfast was wonderful and included cereal, boiled eggs, fresh fruit, meat, cheese, pastries, juice and coffee. The only negative was a small shower with limited water pressure, but this is a mere quibble. Overall value was outstanding.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

you couldnt ask for nicer, geneorous or more helpful hosts. I injured my ankle, the son was sent out to buy cream and bandages and she wouldnt let me pay a cent. The location is perfect, the views are amazing including il duomo.

Stayed June 2009, travelled solo