“Disappointing”

Ranked #31 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We booked this hotel because of its exceptional reviews. We were really looking forward to our stay here but unfortunately did not experience the same level of service as others have mentioned.
The hotel itself is in a great location 2 minutes walk from the train station. The hotel itself is lovely and has a great feel to it and is worthy of its 4 star rating for presentation style and quality. Our room was a superior which over looked the piazza. I was however surprised to find 2 twin beds put together to make a double, not what we expected.
We checked in and after a long journey decided to have a drink in the hotel bar. The bar tender was very professional, friendly and very accommodating offering us a great welcoming service.
All was good until it came to the evening when my husband rang housekeeping for use of an iron!! We arrived on Saturday afternoon and was told that there was no housekeeping at the weekend nor was there the use of an iron for us to use in the room. Apparently it is against Italy fire safety law to allow guests to use an iron in your room (despite having this provision provided to us in the other 3 hotels we stayed in Italy on our trip!!)
To be honest I'm not going to go into detail and I wasn't really that bothered, albeit disappointed that such a hotel couldn't provide an iron but what got to me was the attitude I faced when I went to reception to discuss why they didn't have this service provision. The man (didn't get his name unfortunately) was extremely rude with a 'I don't care attitude'. This is what annoyed and upset me. He basically said no iron no provision for such so go away! I couldn't believe his attitude and after some discussion and asking for clarification that he was no able to assist me I advised that it was not good for their hotel when it came to my review. He couldn't care less with a whatever gesture!
To be honest it was due to this one mans attitude that I have rated this hotel so low. Overall the hotel was good. Be aware however that if you want anything ironed it will cost you apparently 4 euros per item but if they do express service for you they'll charge you 25 euros for 2 items for the privilege!
I'm sure the hotel management will be responding to this as they have with other poor reviews but instead of excuses just train your staff to offer exceptional service to everyone. I'm sure due to the other reviews that we just got unlucky with this man having a bad day but when you pay good money you expect the same service level as everyone else on any given day.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 23cherry
SMNovella, Direttore at Santa Maria Novella Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Sir,
we saw your review on tripadvisor and we are sorry to hear that you had not a full satisfactory experience at the Hotel Santa Maria Novella. We are sorry if the staff did not react in an appropriate way giving you the information regarding the laundry service but we confirm you that it is correct that in Italy by fire safety low it is forbidden to hire in the room . The laundry and ironing service and costs are reported in the laudry list located in each room of the hotel. All your comments are very welcome as we try to learn and improve our level of service.
Our Best Regards
The management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Last week was my 3rd time staying at this property. Conveniently located, I enjoy this hotel every time. The rooms tend to be spacious and the bathrooms are a very good size, especially for Europe. I stayed in room 421 this time. I was initially put in a smaller room, but luckily they were able to move me to room 421 which is a very comfortable size. Also it looked right onto the piazza and the church and that view never gets tired. The decor is traditional but charming. I also liked that there was lots of closet space in this room.
My only complaints would be that the bed is very hard and the pillows very thin. Also, the shower head is a rain shower, which I personally do not like.
Breakfast, which was included, was basic but nice and served in a lovely dining room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sw2nyc
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

Best hotel value in Florence. Close to everything. Staff goes out of their way to help. One even walked us to our new hotel when we had to move. They had our luggage sent ahead. Perfect. Only two minutes from train station.

• Stayed July 2013
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Of our 2 weeks in Italy, this hotel on Florence was our favourite. Our room was very spacious, air conditioned, with a gorgeous marble bathroom and enormous shower (note: the string in the shower does not turn out the light - it's an help alarm!) The rooftop terrace was the perfect place to watch the sun set or sip some wine with friends. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the train station and an easy walk to everywhere else in Florence. The beds were super comfy with fluffy pillows and nice linens. The breakfast buffet was great and served in a lovely room. We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. I don't think I would ever consider another hotel in Florence. We loved it that much!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lynne D
Troy, Ohio
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We LOVED this hotel. We called ahead and pay a little more for a room a few floors up (not on ground floor) and with a view of the Santa Maria Novella Church and Square... it was worth every penny!! What an amazing view and room we had. The square is always busy, and it was great to look out our window and see Florence in full swing. The room was perfect! Clean. Elegant. And the staff was helpful, friendly at all times & made us feel a home (no pretension.. even though this is not one of the cheapest hotels). Very nice to see. The location was perfect. Below us was a late night Irish Pub... that was perfect after a long day of sightseeing. It was a great experience & I would recommend to anyone who wants to stay somewhere special in Florence.

Room Tip: Upgrade to rooms above first floor & get a view of the square... worth the money for upgrade!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My two daughters and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. It is a beautiful small hotel with a friendly professional staff. The included breakfast buffet was a particular delight, many good choices to eat in a gorgeous breakfast room. We loved the top floor terrace (once we found out how to get there) and enjoyed the drinks bartender Daniel made for us to sip there each night. The rooms were cool and comfortable with attractive decor and sleek marble bathrooms. But best of all was the location, looking out on the dome of the Duomo and the beautiful plaza and church of Santa Maria Novello. We found it an easy walk to the Duomo, the Uffizi, Oltarno across the river, the market and all the other sights. Best was coming back to the piazza after a day's touring and sitting at one of the outdoor cafes on the piazza for an aperitivo and people-watching. Va bene!

Room Tip: Ask for a piazza or Duomo view room! We got two!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, Ontario
Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days while traveling through Italy
It was a very central location for walking around Florence and getting tours and trains
The rooms while not large we're clean,comfortable and well appointed.
The buffet breakfast was situated in a beautiful room and they worked hard to make sure everyone got as much breakfast as they wanted! Very nice!
Staff were helpful and friendly
I would stay again if in Florence
We were not aware of a roof top terrace

• Stayed June 2013