We booked this hotel because of its exceptional reviews. We were really looking forward to our stay here but unfortunately did not experience the same level of service as others have mentioned.
The hotel itself is in a great location 2 minutes walk from the train station. The hotel itself is lovely and has a great feel to it and is worthy of its 4 star rating for presentation style and quality. Our room was a superior which over looked the piazza. I was however surprised to find 2 twin beds put together to make a double, not what we expected.
We checked in and after a long journey decided to have a drink in the hotel bar. The bar tender was very professional, friendly and very accommodating offering us a great welcoming service.
All was good until it came to the evening when my husband rang housekeeping for use of an iron!! We arrived on Saturday afternoon and was told that there was no housekeeping at the weekend nor was there the use of an iron for us to use in the room. Apparently it is against Italy fire safety law to allow guests to use an iron in your room (despite having this provision provided to us in the other 3 hotels we stayed in Italy on our trip!!)
To be honest I'm not going to go into detail and I wasn't really that bothered, albeit disappointed that such a hotel couldn't provide an iron but what got to me was the attitude I faced when I went to reception to discuss why they didn't have this service provision. The man (didn't get his name unfortunately) was extremely rude with a 'I don't care attitude'. This is what annoyed and upset me. He basically said no iron no provision for such so go away! I couldn't believe his attitude and after some discussion and asking for clarification that he was no able to assist me I advised that it was not good for their hotel when it came to my review. He couldn't care less with a whatever gesture!
To be honest it was due to this one mans attitude that I have rated this hotel so low. Overall the hotel was good. Be aware however that if you want anything ironed it will cost you apparently 4 euros per item but if they do express service for you they'll charge you 25 euros for 2 items for the privilege!
I'm sure the hotel management will be responding to this as they have with other poor reviews but instead of excuses just train your staff to offer exceptional service to everyone. I'm sure due to the other reviews that we just got unlucky with this man having a bad day but when you pay good money you expect the same service level as everyone else on any given day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All the rooms are furnished with air conditioning/heating, direct dial telephone, free Wi-Fi internet connection or lan cable connection, hair-dryer, minibar, bath or shower, electric safe, flat screen tv, courtesy set of "Officina Santa Maria Novella," vanity mirror, sleepers, tea pot with herb tea. Superior room with view has a splendid view over the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella, flat screen TV, mini-bar and a splendid marble bathroom ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Santa Maria Novella Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Maria Novella Florence
- Hotel Santa Maria Novella