1,816 results
All reviewstrain stationmarble bathroombeautiful hoteloverlooking the squarebeautiful piazzaarriving by trainbreakfast roomrooftop terracejunior suitebeautiful roomwithin walking distanceperfect locationfive minute walksitting roommajor attractionsold worldour honeymoon
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We just returned from a wonderful long weekend in Florence. We have been there several times but this was our first time at this hotel. The location is fabulous!! We walked everywhere! The staff were brilliant! I had a problem with the hairdryer in my room and there was a new one in there when I came back after a day out. My only issues were that our room was as far away as it could be. One needed to leave bread crumbs to find our way there! Also we booked this through BA holidays and I felt like we were just stuck away. A suggestion for room 225 - the need for another mirror. There is only the mirror in the bathroom and not big enough to get a full length view.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view. Room 225 had no view except of a very noisy alley. Fortunately there are double glazed windows to help with the sound.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NancyInLondon
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This hotel is rather peculiar. It is right in the center of Florence, few steps away from the central railway station (far enough not to be bothered by it but within walking distance even with carry-on luggages). The style of the hotel is right away evident by the absence of any glaring neon light on the outside. Just a small brass plate would tell you you are in the right place. The entrance is ancient looking (solid dark wood furniture and red velvet sofas) with some modern-design touches here and there, the staff welcoming and helpful. Built up by putting together two (or three) very ancient buildings ("ancient" in Florence means up to the XI-XIII century, I guess), the hotel is a maze of small corridors, "Escher" style intricate stairways and elevators with left 'n right floor numbers on the keyboards (you will have to remember which side of the elevator to get off and getting to your room is always an interesting challenge). The atmosphere is very soft with adequate lighting. My room was just gorgeous: on two levels I would have an entrance with a full sitting room and the bathroom (white marbles everywhere, spotless). To be noticed the absence of a fixed hair-dryer (but I understand it would just not fit with the outlook of the bathroom itself), no bathtub but a large and comfortable shower. The bedroom would be fifteen wooden steps high-up. Perfect bed, one window right on the Santa Maria Novella square and one glass wall on the stairways with very nice view on the Brunelleschi's Duomo and its bell-tower.
Breakfast location and ambience perfect. Good and varied food. Very kind and rapid service.
I have read of bad reviews on this hotel before getting there but I could not find any of the inconvenience signalled, maybe because I was on the "right" side of the hotel and on to the top floor. I strongly recommend to ask for this type of room to avoid to be disturbed by city noises.
Overall a very nice location, perfect spot for a romantic stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room with view on the santa maria novella square. however some accommodations can be difficult to reach by people with limited walking capacities (stairs).
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Alfces
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We had booked through Advventure Bellissimo and are so pleased we choose the upgraded hotel. The furnishings were opulent, the marble bathroom out of this world and we felt like royalty.The staff were lovely and we helped a new receptionist with her basic english- she helped us with our basic italian! The location is spot on and very close to everything (esp the railway station). Was an added bonus returning to our rooms one late afternoon that a re-enactment of a battle scene took place right outside our room. Where else in the world do you see horse drawn carriages and men dressed up for a battle scene right outside your room!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the square- it was amazing to view what went on outside
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014

This was my first stay in a hotel in Florence, having stayed with friends in the past. The last time I was there it was summer, and the place was jam packed. Late January was the perfect time to go. With the city to ourselves, this was the perfect launching point. We were traveling by train, and the hotel is just steps away. It's right on a beautiful piazza, and it's a very quiet neighborhood at night. (Some areas of Florence have so many students you'll feel like you're staying in a party dorm.) Everything in the historic center is just a walk away. The Hotel SM was very clean, has lovely crisp linens, and all the amenities you need. There's a nice marble shower and heated towels. The breakfast is delicious and varied, and the breakfast room is elegant. The staff was friendly and helpful. Yes, the room and bathroom were on the small side but I didn't expect nor need more.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location is 5-8 minutes walk from the gorgeous historic center of Florence, but remote enough to be more quiet and less crowded. It has good selection of restaurants a few min away, if you want to stay close for diner.
Also 5 min walk from the train station, doable with suitcase.
Try to get a room with a view on Santa Maria Novella plazza and the beautiful church.
Room was great and large for european standards, hotel was quiet, breakfast was good, service impeccable and speaking english, internet has great bandwidth. What else would you want?
I would recommend to anyone without any hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple