“Beautiful hotel and great location...”

Santa Maria Novella Hotel
Ranked #30 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful hotel and great location...”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Overall, I loved this hotel. The room was lovely, the view was outstanding (pay extra for the view - it's worth it), the staff was exceptionally kind and patient! There were a few hiccups (mentioned below) but overall it was a good experience. I would stay there again.

Pros:
- excellent location - right on Santa Maria Novella square, walking distances of pretty much anywhere you'd want to go in Florence, near the train station, and near tons of great restaurants.
- beautiful view (see photo)
- beautiful room with comfortable bed (see photos)- also large lovely bathroom with nice towels (it's the little things!) (also in photo)
- the staff was very friendly and patient - their english was generally outstanding (with the exception of the room service operator as mentioned below)

Cons:

- It was surprisingly hard to get room service! My second evening there, I left the tag on my door for breakfast the next day. I put the tag out at midnight and the instructions said it needed to be on the door by 5am. The tag was never taken and breakfast never came. When I tried to call down to room service the line was busy. After three tries, I called reception and they successful transferred me. The woman spoke very broken english (would have been much easier if they'd taken the tag) but once I actually got the order in, it came promptly.

- I could not connect with reception on the phone after four tries in 30 minutes on the morning I checked out. I kept trying to call down to have someone get my suitcase (very heavy and there were stairs between my room and the elevator). The line was consistently busy! Finally, I lugged the bag down myself.

- although they had free wi-fi (yay) - it was somewhat slow and often dropped. It was a major inconvenience!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the room with a view - you will not regret it!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 17 July 2014

During our stay in Italy this ending up being our favorite hotel. Located on beautiful Piazza Santa Maria, the location offers access to everything walking. We had a room that looked down on the piazza. We loved opening up the windows for the great view and sounds of the city below. This isn't one of the piazzas overrun with tourists so it is very pleasant. The hotel itself is just gorgeous. Small enough too feel special and big enough to provide everything you need. I can't say enough about the front desk staff and their friendliness. Simone was a standout and just an exceptional employee. I loved the elegant breakfast buffet offered in the restaurant....very grand and delicious. The SMN train station is close walking distance and makes it easy. I travel extensively for work and stay in many high end properties. This is one I'll always remember.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view to the piazza. It'll be worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent location from the train station. The hotel itself is small and can be a little confusing to navigate on the inside, however the size of the room is amazing. We stayed on the 5th floor overlooking the square and the view is beautiful.

The breakfast offered lots of options and the staff was very friendly. Lots of restaurant options in short walking distance to the hotel for lunch and dinner.

If you are a bargain shopper, the outdoor market is about a10 mine walk with tons of leather items, scarf, ties and general souvenirs. Love it.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We arrived by train and walked to the hotel calling in at the Tourist information office on the way. We arrived prior to check in time and the very pleasant receptionist booked us in and we were taken up to our room which would have been a little difficult on our own as you do go down and around the very nicely decorated hallways. When we entered the room there was a funny smell that I assumed must have been from previous guests. The room was very spacious and the decor interesting, the marble bathroom was lovely. The room looked out across the Piazza very lovely view. The breakfast which was included in the rate was very good with plenty of choice both hot and cold food the breakfast room was really gorgeous with white table cloths and the staff were very helpful and promptly served you with tea or coffee on arrival, excellent.
However each time you entered the room you could smell this strange smell we contacted reception on the second day and they sent someone up but really all they seemed to be able to do
Was provide a spray. This most definitely did not put me off the hotel in any way. I would stay here again if we ever visit Florence again the location is so close to all of the sites and museums it is fantastic. We called into the bar one evening for a drink and the lady in the bar was very friendly
And the service was excellent there is a lovely pleasant feel about this hotel and the building is fascinating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel was like an oasis. amidst the tourists and crowds of florence, this hotel provided me, my husband and twin 16 year old daughters with a place to truly unwind and relax. It was unbelievably spacious (especially for europe!) we got connecting rooms and it felt like a gigantic suite! Everyone at the hotel was helpful and the breakfast was great. It was well located and felt luxurious without being stuffy at all. I recommend this place highly!

Room Tip: I loved having windows that opened onto the piazza
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Great quiet hotel in a busy spot. The hotel is a straight shot from the SMN Train Station. You can easily awl to it from the station. You'll pass the church on the right and find the hotel on the left side corner of the plaza. It has no flags or even a banner at the entrance; just a door mat with its name. The hotel is made up of several narrow buildings hence up & down steps between rooms. Breakfast is really nice-taste their coffee yogurt. They also always have a chilled bottle of the "bubbly" (it does have alcohol).
To the right of the hotel within 10 min is the Duomo & Uffizi.

Room Tip: we had a room with a lovely view of the SMN church-they have different prices depending view/size of...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stockholm
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A very good hotel in a perfect location a few blocks from the train station and a few blocks from the Dome. We stayed in beautiful penthouse with tasteful modern design. Great service and very good value. We will stay at Santa Maria Novella Hotel next time we are coming to Florence.

Room Tip: Go for the Penthouse with excellent view !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple