“Our Stay at Santa Maria Novella”

Santa Maria Novella Hotel
Ranked #31 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Dallas, Texas
“Our Stay at Santa Maria Novella”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

The location is good for visiting the major tourist attractions but I would suggest staying somewhere else. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and the air conditioning did not cool off at all. After sightseeing all day in the summer heat it was a little frustrating.The hotel sent a repairman several times to look into the issue and it was never resolved. After two nights we asked to be moved to another room with air conditioning that actually worked. Wifi was also hit or miss on the property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bb929aSD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I can only speak for the room I had - over looking the Piazza and lovely! The sounds of church bells waking us each morning was something we loved and the room was exactly what one would expect from a hotel in Florentine hotel. It is exceptionally located and the service was top-notch.

We loved the vibrant activity in the square at night; the wonderful breakfast each morning; and the strolls easily taken to key attractions. All in all a great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Piazza.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank O2CtheC
Adlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is located in a quiet, picturesque piazza very near to the main railway station. The staff were extremely friendly and always willing to help. Although it is very near to the centre of Florence - just a short stroll away - it is very quiet and within walking distance of all the sights and amenties that Florence has to offer. A first class hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have chose this property due to its reviews and the location: for this trip we felt staying not far from the train station would be very practical for us, not only for arrival and departure purposes, but also because we had plans to travel by train and bus to other Tuscany towns, and that really has proved to be a great idea. The hotel location is also convenient for sightseeing, as you can easily walk to The Duomo and almost every touristic spots around the city.

The Hotel display is quite odd and labirynthic, since it is composed by three old buildings connected in the inside. But the decor is so tasteful that we did not mind at all the two elevators, many corridors and few steps along our way. The hotel lobby, library and breakfast rooms are also very well appointed and pleasant. Breakfast buffet was very good, all things fresh and high quality italian food and beverages.

Our room was wonderful, very spacious, with a great marble bathroom and nice toilettry. We booked a room with a view to Sta Maria Novella, what was also great. From the common terrace you can see both the piazza on the front and The Duomo on the back.

I think from now on it will be hard to stay anywhere else in Firenze!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marciopsiq
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were two couples traveling together, the two rooms we had at the Santa Novella were pretty average, one even had the bed pushed against a wall!! Small things like only being given one small bar of soap, having to ask to have the air con switched etc soured things for us. The staff however were fantastic!! We'll look elsewhere for next year.

Room Tip: Before check in have a look at the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SydneyMark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We went here for our wedding anniversary. The hotel was lovely and in a fantastic location. Our room had a balcony and a great view of the square. Fantastic hotel. Well worth staying here.

I would have given it 5 star but dropped one as we had a mix up with the room booking. I did not drop the rating because of the mix up but the way it was dealt with. The reception argued with my wife for a full hour over who was right and by the end she was in tears. Really it just needed sorting, don't argue with the customer.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Overall, I loved this hotel. The room was lovely, the view was outstanding (pay extra for the view - it's worth it), the staff was exceptionally kind and patient! There were a few hiccups (mentioned below) but overall it was a good experience. I would stay there again.

Pros:
- excellent location - right on Santa Maria Novella square, walking distances of pretty much anywhere you'd want to go in Florence, near the train station, and near tons of great restaurants.
- beautiful view (see photo)
- beautiful room with comfortable bed (see photos)- also large lovely bathroom with nice towels (it's the little things!) (also in photo)
- the staff was very friendly and patient - their english was generally outstanding (with the exception of the room service operator as mentioned below)

Cons:

- It was surprisingly hard to get room service! My second evening there, I left the tag on my door for breakfast the next day. I put the tag out at midnight and the instructions said it needed to be on the door by 5am. The tag was never taken and breakfast never came. When I tried to call down to room service the line was busy. After three tries, I called reception and they successful transferred me. The woman spoke very broken english (would have been much easier if they'd taken the tag) but once I actually got the order in, it came promptly.

- I could not connect with reception on the phone after four tries in 30 minutes on the morning I checked out. I kept trying to call down to have someone get my suitcase (very heavy and there were stairs between my room and the elevator). The line was consistently busy! Finally, I lugged the bag down myself.

- although they had free wi-fi (yay) - it was somewhat slow and often dropped. It was a major inconvenience!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for the room with a view - you will not regret it!!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo