“Lovely small hotel”
Review of JK Place Firenze

JK Place Firenze
Ranked #25 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 6 April 2011

This was a wonderful, small hotel. We arrived after a long flight and were a bit early for our room, so were ushered into the lounge where we had wine and a small afternoon bite. Throughout our stay the staff were helpful and accommodating. They had a multi-national and multi-age collection of guests and managed to work well with everyone. The breakfast buffet was gorgeous. The location of the hotel was also good--walking distance from everything but not in the bustle of the Duomo area or Ponte Vecchio; far enough away to be quiet but not so far that it was a project to get around (although Florence is amazingly walkable).

Room Tip: Check the website.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CHCNV

Reviewed 1 April 2011

Just got back from a 3 day trip to Florence with my husband, mother and two toddlers. Not necessarily the best 'formula' for a trip to Florence, however, we had a fantastic time, largely due to the helpfulness of JK staff and the fabulousness of the hotel. The staff pretty much mind read into what type of restaurants we were in the mood for when we asked for recommendations and sent us to exactly what we needed for that night. The wine/food/breakfast at the hotel were all absolutely delicious and I found myself inventing sensible-sounding reasons to leave my husband and toddlers in the room while I hung out downstairs at the hotel munching on the delicious snacks. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank kcbf
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We stayed three nights in JK Place on our way to Venice, then Tuscany. We loved it from the minute we stepped inside. There was renovation in Piazza SMN when we went so the walkway was blocked and messy but the minute you are inside the hotel there was a sense of tranquility. Our room was not huge but had ample space for luggage and the bed was really comfortable. We also loved the common lounge area where you could read one of the many books lying around.

The concierge was very friendly and helpful in making restaurant recommendations and bookings. The location is very convenient as well for all major sights and shopping, and it's a 5-min walk from the SMN station. We'll definitely stay there again if we're back in Florence.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We liked this hotel very much. It features beutiful design, extremely responsive service and comfort. It is pretty expensive but my expectatuons were almost fully met. If you are not obsessed with saving, SLH should be your choice.
P.S. Guys do something about wi-fi.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Very centrally located and did not encounter much difficulty locating it from the railway station. Service was top notch, they did not hesitate at all to source for a rental car, map out where to eat, shop, go. Did not hesitate to accomodate our requests to modify the dates of accomodation. Went out of their way to serve us delicious breakfast and dinners. The food served was once of the best meals I had in Florence. Thank you to to Lorenzo and Angela, both of you made our trip very memorable.
Only drawback would be the small rooms that the hotel has. I understand the designer is aiming for a cosy atmosphere but the rooms could afford to be larger for the rates being charged.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2011

This place is simply lovely, the ambience and the decoration all work in making you feel in a home ( that is what the building originally was ) the staff are all polite , ready to assist and smiling . The common spaces are elegant and in a subtle contemporary look mixed with classical touches, The interior designer has done a good job , no discussions . Breakfast is served around a big table where guest are invited to sit altogether ( there are also other rooms if privacy is what you look for ) , food are basically organic and with a logical selection . All day long there are juices, teas or few snacks for the reidents . Locationwise is simply wonderful as you have S.Maria novella just in fron of you are all worth sighseeings in town are at walking distance ( and walking in Florence is anyhow a pleasure ).Normal rooms are somehow small but equipped with anything you may need plus fruits and drinks are all included .
If you are unlucky and you get a noisy neighbours the soundporof is not the best one and that is one of the reason why I did not rate it perfect
It is a nice structure , samll sized with only 20 rooms that will make you feel happy to return after your tiring day in Florence , Not the cheapest solution but a good solution if you really want to have a personalised service, There is no official restaurant but they can provide you all day long a selection of italian delicacies always with the smile that is a benchpark of the house

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Been there on a week end for my birthday, with my husband.

A romantic escape.

Note: we are both Italian, we travel a lot specially abroad, and from time to time we like to play as turists in our Italian art cities, such as Venice, Rome, Florence etc. even if we have been many times before. (Im an architect as a first backgorund and I have studied in Venice).

Booked a superior room with upgrade to a deluxe room, at 319,00€.

Nice surprise: a cake and prosecco bottle for my birthday in the room on arrival.
Other very positive feelings: the tables booked by the hotel under my request at both restaurants during our stay - including 3 stars Enoteca Pinchiorri - were very good tables.

Major concern: the deluxe room was extremely small and - most of all - with a french window opening to...a wall...(room n.4, first floor).

Maybe it's just my problem, as I suffer a bit from claustrophobia and I can't really stand being in a close space knowing that the window doesnt lead to an open space.

I pointed it out immediately and the person from the staff in charge - overall very nice - showed me a Master Suite at 1.000,00€, saying that they could give us a discount. Apparently it was the only other room available.
It was already quite late in the evening and I refused, as we had a table booked at a restaurant for my bday dinner.

When we went back, I spoke to another lady at the desk who said there was another room available, a pentouse suite, at 800,00€ with - again - a bit of discount.
I felt a bit guilty towards mu husband , as the price was much higher than our current rate. So we kept the deluxe room with The Wall.

Couldnt sleep for a minute.

Morning after I told another guy at the front desk and he showed me another room, same category as ours. Even smaller but with two little windows opening to a couryard, being at a higher floor we could see the sky, at least.

So other rooms of the same category were available the night before?

This guy was a bit aggressive and he seemed so proud to work for this special property to forget that I was a guest. Sounded a bit superior - 'darsi delle arie' we would say in Italian - specifying that room n.4 (The Wall room) was very quite and that Emilio Pucci, the designer, particularly liked it....

He said that during booking I did not specify that I wanted a view.

I replied that I was not looking for any special views, I just needed a normal room with a normal window opening to the sky and not to a wall! (in fact I'm not Emilio Pucci..)

We ended up choosing the penthouse suite, we both liked it (for 500,00€). It was quite nice, but in the upstair bathroom (with super view over Brunelleschi dome) all water connections didnt work very well and there was smell of kitchen in the little terrace.

So:
overall this boutique hotel is very well designed, the staff - as everybody is saying - is overall extremely helpful and nice, but maybe there's the risk they're starting taking their popularity for granted.

My request was based on a major issue (claustrophobia) and should have been addressed with a bit more care.

On top of this, I find the hotel really overpriced, design is not enough.

Please keep in mind that we are more than ready to splurge (suites and villas at Six Senses, Raffles, Oberoi, Hyatt, The Chedi, The Datai and little boutique gems around the world..) IF we perceive the value for money.

1.000 euros for a one room suite, 800 euros for a 30sm loft suite, or 350 for a 20sm room opening to The Wall in Santa Maria Novella square in Florence for us totally out of the world.

It's a matter of scale and market positioning.

Or maybe it's just us, as we are Italian turists in Italy?

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple