“Heaven, I'm in heaven . . .”
Review of JK Place Firenze

JK Place Firenze
Ranked #36 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My wife, my two college-age stepdaughters, and I stayed at J K Place in Florence in the last week of December and it was heaven. Again. The year before, my wife and I hated our Florence hotel almost from the moment we checked in. Just before midnight I desperately started calling around for a new hotel and as soon as I talked to Patrick I sensed the welcoming attitude that makes J K Place so special. What we found the next morning was a beautiful small hotel with gorgeous rooms -- who cares if they're not spacious -- and the most welcoming staff my wife have have ever dealt with, and we have stayed at some very welcoming hotels in our four trips to Italy since 1997. We'll never forget the concierge's smile as we trooped in at 8 the next morning, and her immediate offer of coffee and breakfast. And the breakfasts are delicious, the best we've ever had in Italy. There are also terrific snacks available throughout the day, and the internet is free. Forgive the pun, but J K Place is the place to be in Florence!

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank commodre

Reviewed 20 December 2010

I'm not a sweet person.  Don't misunderstand, I am considered reasonably polite by those who know me, it's just that I'll forego dessert or pudding in favor of a starter / appetizer any day.

JK Place has converted me.  With it's stunning antique sideboard generously piled high with delicious tarts, brownies, cakes, etc., all ingredients sourced from the best (organic) local produce, I just can't say no.

A boutique hotel, located in a perfect position with regards to attending to all that Florence has to offer, offers an accommodation experience more akin to staying with friends.  That is if your friends are royalty with an amazing taste in art.  And I've lost count of the many incredibly attentive staff members who appear to have all emerged from Italian vogue.  The team works well together and I am the recipient of their consideration, no request is too difficult.

My room is lovely, the amenities top notch, the WiFi fast.

Did I mention the desserts?

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank CynWorldTraveller
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Beautiful and chic decor, staffed by marvelous, warm people this spot goes beyond the definition of hotel. The feel is private city townhouse with your every need anticipated and met with efficiency and good humor. The rooms/bathrooms are lovely, each decorated in serene tones. The simple menu is perfect. Property Manager Claudio is on his game, reception managers Angela and Lorenzo along with Food Manager Matteo are world-class as are their reports and colleagues. After five nights we were truly sad to check out.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westvillagetraveler
Reviewed 5 December 2010

From the unassuming exterior, you would not expect to find such a delightful hotel that feels more like a private villa than a hotel. While there is no formal restaurant, there is a full kitchen with a fabulous menu - the food here was as good or better than anywhere else we ate in Tuscany! The living room is comfortable, surrounded by books and artwork and there is also a lounge with a large TV. The staff is attentive and always friendly. Our room was spacious with a view of the Piazza. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Florence - I will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2010

In 2008, my wife retired from teaching. To mark her retirement we went on a four week odyssey that started with a week biking in the Loire Valley, followed by stops in Paris, Avignon, Geneva, Rome and then four nights in Florence before we ended our trip with a week in Tuscany, on a walking/cooking tour. The SMN train station in Florence was the starting and ending point for our Tuscan tour and JK Place, being just a few minutes walk to the train station, was our base for the four nights in Florence. We enjoyed our stay at JK Place and Florence itself so much in 2008 that we said we would have to come back to Florence and if we came back, the only place to stay was JK Place. It is now 2010, and, again we are on an odyssey that includes a week in Cornwall, a week in London, nine days in Italy (Milan, Venice and Florence), Paris and then a week in New York. And, Yes, we went back to JK Place.

This time we opted for the package 'A Day at the Market', had a great time exploring the San Lorenzo Market with the Chef, followed by a private cooking lesson at the Florence private chef school where we had had a group lesson back in 2008. It was an absolutely wonderful day, that ended with a walk in the early evening where we ended up at the Accademia and had the unique opportunity to experience Michelangelo's David with no crowds (Accademia open late Tuesday ngihts).

When we return to Florence (and we will), we will come back to JK Place - the staff and their quality of service, the comfort of the rooms, the lounge, the terrace, the location - all the factors that make your stay so enjoyable, are the reasons we keep coming back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ErskineLane61
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We stayed 3 nights in JK place and loved everything about it. The concierge was friendly and knowledgable, the location was very convenient, and the whole place is very welcoming. We loved the tastefully decorated library and lounge and the warm ambience. The room is not huge but very comfortable. The mattress was firm and the water pressure strong. It really felt like coming home every night. This will be the hotel we go to when visiting Florence from now on.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We just finished a stay in the JK Florence. We were surprised to arrive and find construction directly in front of the hotel. When we asked about it at check in, the staff was dismissive and said there was no noise on weekends or before 10am. Each morning we woke up to the sound of jackhammering much earlier than 10 (7, 8 am) which lasted throughout the day. It is unclear what is going on in front of the hotel but there is major construction equipment. We overheard another traveler say this has been going on for some time.

After visiting the JK Capri twice, which we ADORE, we were surprised and disappointed by this especially since we had called the hotel to ask about the rooms prior to arrival and asked detailed questions and no one ever mentioned the construction.

Book a room facing the back NOT the Santa Maria Novella square if noise bothers you and be prepared for noise throughout the day with a pause for a long lunch break for the workers. Also, ask hotel when you book if the project is done, as hopefully it will wrap soon. The Penthouse room faces the back and was quieter.

I hope this is helpful, I hate to say anything bad about JK as the Capri hotel is one of my favorites in the world, and Florence is lovely too, aside from the noise which is obviously a city project and not under managements control but nonetheless could affect you.

Also note that there is no gym or spa, whereas the JK Capri has both. We were surprised there was no gym.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple