“Noisy in the piazza at night”

Casa Santo Nome di Gesu
Ranked #228 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Kansas City USA
“Noisy in the piazza at night”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Regrettable stay due to the 2 night "clubs" or eateries on the piazza. Even with the window and exterior shutters and curtain closed I heard the boom, boom, boom of the music and muffled voices until 2:30 a.m. when the places closed. Apparently Piazza Carmine is night life place in Florence. I asked for a room facing the garden only to find out that the garden is not out back but sideways to the Piazza. The piazza is a parking lot and deceptively quiet during the afternoon upon check-in.
The only reason that I chose this accommodation was due to traveling with an elderly family member who is to put it mildly very fugal. Cheap it was and never again for me! My traveling companion who slept in another facing the piazza with the window open never admitted that the noise bothered. In the a.m. I met an ex-military man who said that he wasn't bothered by the night noise. Both men are ex-military men so I guess they can sleep anywhere.
With that being said, the price was right for a clean, comfortable place with adequate breakfast in an interesting old building which was an old palazzo a lot longer than it was a convent? There are sisters/nuns who run the place.
We stayed one night while traveling through. I especially like Florence in winter having spent 5 weeks here a few years ago.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper see if they have a room on the west side of the building since the piazza...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank nonnaleyonne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Veluwe, Paesi Bassi
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Not just an ideal location for a touristic visit of Florence, quite near almost all the many things worth visiting, but also a splendid and well-kept historic former convent. Good rooms, very clean, really caring and friendly personnel. Beautiful churches and chapels in vicinity.

Room Tip: We had a nice view of the former monastery garden, of which the patterns are still recognizable.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Prodromos_12
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I brought a group of 16 university freshmen for a spring-break visit to Firenze. We loved the place with its wonderful history. The rooms were very different, one from another, some even with frescoed ceilings; the place has a lot of character and is immaculately clean and kept that way, every day. The students were able to hang-out in the adjoining garden or the TV room every day where there was wifi. The price was Fantastic.
The location was Sensational. We could walk to the Ponte Vecchio in 10 minutes, the Uffizi in 15 minutes, the Duomo in 25. But we returned to the Casa before dinner and ate locally. We were off the tourist track and could eat at neighboring places, frequented mostly by Florentines. See my reviews of Trattoria Da Ginone, L'brindellone, Trattoria Sabatino, Trattoria 4 Leoni, and Gusta-Osteria. The people at the desk, especially Iwona, helped us make our choices and our reservations.
Breakfast was simple, fresh bread, cheese, coffee, yogurt, cereals, and lots of fruit.
I'll be going back there in 3 years for our next Firenze visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank JFKfromBC
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My first review was in Feb.2004. I was impressed then and am still impressed now. Extremely reasonable rates with excellent accommodations. I will stay here again.

We stayed from Jan.13 to 20, 2013, so we got the special winter rate. We were given a triple room for use as a double (the 3rd bed was taken out) with a private external bathroom (need the room key to get in the full bathroom).

Room:
Extremely clean, spacious, and comfortable. The room and bathroom were cleaned and the towels were changed daily.

Building & Location:
It is centrally located in the artisan district of Florence right next to the Brancacci Chapel. The train station (which we took for our Milan and Assisi day trips), Ponte Vecchio, Mercato Centrale, and Uffizi are all walking distance. The same with the Pitti Palace, Boboli Gardens, and even San Miniato church.

The building's architecture and history are impressive. If you're interested, you can take home a booklet (in any language) from the front desk with the history of the building, dating back to the 1300's. My favorite part of the building is the beautiful sweeping staircase.

Something new for me: there is an elevator now (didn't have it in 2004). Compared to standard elevators in Italy, the Casa's elevator is modern, quiet and spacious.

Staff:
The staff was friendly, helpful, and they all speak English. I received replies to all my emails within 24 hours. They did all the phone calls for me: from making dinner reservations to calling the cab for the 4am pickup for our 6:45am flight out of Florence airport.

Before we left for a day trip to Assisi, the staff asked us if they should pack us a "picnic" (sack lunch). We refused as we planned to hit a restaurant in town (review coming up). On our last day, there were 2 sack lunches waiting for us on a tray by the front door. It made me sad to leave.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ngr7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Very friendly, helpful staff, spotlessly clean, my double room overlooked the garden and a fabulous "Florentine" view of the dome of San Frediano in Cestello. This is a large building with a garden which makes it a very tranquil place - great location to take a break through the day, and escape from the very busy tourist sites. 15 minute walk to the Duomo and SMN main station - there are also buses that stop in the vicinity. Line D from SMN station, 11 to the Duomo. Very nice selection in the continental breakfast and my bedroom was tidied everyday. You can also buy your Firenze card at the Branacci Chapel, next door (cash - 50 euros) and unllkely to have to queue as you would have to if you bought the card at some of the other sites.
A number of affordable places to eat at:
Trattoria Sabatino is a 5 minute walk with homely food at very reasonable prices (via Pisana, 2) , I saw a chinese takeaway on Via del Leone , a Rotiscerria on via Pisana (a cafe but you can also takeaway local Florentine food)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank anisal
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I stayed at Casa Santo Nome di Gesu from Sept 10 to Sept 20, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The personnel were very pleasant and helpful. They made me feel welcome and comfortable. The accommodations were clean, the breakfast was good and I liked the location as I could walk to many of the tourist sites or if I didn't want to walk, there was a bus stop nearby. I had a private bath and clean towels every day, which I really appreciated. I would not hesitate to recommend this convent to anyone who visits Florence. I hope I can have the pleasure staying here again when I visit Florence.I truly thank them for all they did to make my visit an enjoyable one.

L.A.R.

Room Tip: Would suggest a room on the second floor unless you don't mind steps, Elevator stops at second...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LAR10250
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in July 2012 in a huge triple room with a sizeable bathroom. The room was very dated and there was no A/C. What compounded the problem was that we couldn't open the windows at night because the mosquitoes (which are a problem in Florence) would eat my daughter alive. Almost everywhere else we stayed in Italy had A/C and I think this place should really consider joining the 21st century and update its rooms.

As for staff, they were OK but the sisters and staff were not as outgoing and approachable as the other convents we stayed at in Italy.

As for location, it was a 15 minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio and about the same to the Piti Palace. Another 15 minutes gets you to the Duomo so on foot everything is managable. Across the street from the convent is the Brancacci Chapel with its great Massacio and Masolino murals -- definitely worth the reservation. Not so many eateries near the convent but we usually ate in Tavola Caldas and gelato shops in the heart of Florence.

But if I came to Florence again, I would look at another convent or religious institution on the South bank with more modern facilities and A/C for the same price. Or better yet, stay in a hill town nearby and make a day trip or two into town.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the second floor that does not face the busy Piazza Carmine.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family