“The Best Little Place in Florence”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #115 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I recently returned from my FOURTH trip to Italy in as many years, and from a stay at my FAVORITE place in Florence - Hotel Il Bargellino. This hotel is a most interesting place. It is clean, friendly and very hospitable. The owners, Carmel and Pino, are amazing. On my most recent stay I had hurt my foot and needed several days to stay in or close by to the Hotel. It was like being at home!! Carmel always made sure she had made extra ice so that I could take care of my foot. I have met such interesting people staying at Il Bargellino, people from all over the world, and most of them, like myself come back every opportunity we get. In the evenings many of the hotel guests mingle on the beautiful roof top terrace, sharing food, wine and conversation.

There is a great little place for breakfast and snacks just one block up at the corner of Via Guellfa and Via Nazionale. It is Bar Fibbi. We loved a restaurant Carmel recommended called Ciro and Sons and one Pino recommended a few doors down called Trattoria Guelfa. There was also a great new restaurant just opening across the street that I was able to go to the last night of my stay called Cavolo Nero. Next door to the hotel is an amazing culinary school called Apicius. I was very intrigued by the wonderful aromas coming from the school and I was invited in to see their space. It is spectacular. On one of my stays at Il Bargellino I took a one night cooking class with two of my girlfriends. It was a great way to spend an early evening cooking, conversing and enjoying the fruits of our labor.

Hotel Il Bargellino is a very short walk to the train station, Santa Maria Novella. I have enjoyed many day trips to Rome and Venice by leaving early in the morning and taking the latest train back. I have also kept my room at Il Bargellino and taken short one or two night trips to other locations.

I guess what I want other travellers to know is that this hotel is a perfect place to stay. Not only because of having everything you need so close by but more importantly about the hotel, Carmel, Pino and Leopoldo (their bird). I have never written a review of a hotel, but felt I wanted to put this out there. I have worked customer service at two different locations and I know how good it feels one someone lets you know you've done a good job, so I always make it a point to give good customer reviews at places where I shop or do business - if it is deserved. So, this is my first hotel review and I couldn't be more pleased in passing on the information about this little gem in Florence.

Room Tip: I have been fortunate enough to book early and get a room that opens on to the terrace. But I have...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Annemarie S

Reviewed 19 July 2012

I think I need to start this review by covering off the following. The owners of this hotel are quite charming and the lady owner quite helpful ( pre visit - she was away when we stayed ) BUT that seems to overshadow the actual facilities & cleanliness at this hotel.

I wish I had read the negative reviews before my booking BUT IVE LEARNT! I also notice that there are previous terrible reviews to which the owners have replied. However, as it is not possible to do a follow-up response to their reply I wanted to cover the fact that whatever excuses and reasons they give to cover off this review the standards or cleanliness and fittings is unacceptable for any establishment and although I cannot speak for all rooms I think my photos attached to this review will give regular TripAdvisor users a good idea of what to generally expect.

I shall be brief : 1. Appalling bathroom unclean and more like a 1960s prison facility. We went and got our own cleaning materials! See photos attached. The English speaking owner was away and her husband spoke next to NO English to explain the smells from the drains in the bathroom and maybe they were from the light shaft which runs through the bathroom ( which is borded up and closed with screws ). Previously they have said its the old Florence drains but bathrooms since the 60s have water locks to stop smells! 3. The hotel is on a very noisy road which is used all night. Cant open windowsas Mosquitos in abundance. Air-con avaiable at extra cost. Please Please just look at the other terrible reviews on here for more information.

My advice - Yes cheap but levels and standards are unnacceptable book somewhere else

At least Room 6 should be shut down until refitted. This is one of their most expensive rooms with ensuite.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WorlddTravellerr
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Pino and I realize that Trip Advisor is a great source for you as a traveler to have a peek at an establishment before booking. We can only ask that you base your decision on more than one reviewers comments and photos of only the ugliest corners he could find. We plan to post new photos of this and other rooms and facilities to give you a more balanced view of what we and hundreds of previous guests think is one of the best deals in Florence.

I can not stress enough that all facilities are cleaned and disinfected daily. That said the bathroom tiles in the one photographed are old and discolored and we are updating and renewing fixtures constantly. The oldest (the one in question) among other bathrooms is slated for renovations. New appliances, e.g. hair dryers, fans, coffee makers, refrigerator etc. available to all guests.

We ask in writing in every room and on the cork board located in the entrance that guests let us know of ANY problems they have in rooms. Perfect examples being the shower head not working or mosquitoes (we have quick easy solutions)

Our section of Via Guelfa is not the busiest street in town, but it is an urban, residential street. While no buses or over sized trucks use it, people, cars and scooters do pass by.

It means a great deal to us that the hotel Il Bargellino received the Trip Advisors 2012 Travelers Choice Award and especially that nearly to 90% of guest reviews are favorable.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I felt compelled to write something here as I don't usually review hotels but staying at this one has been one of the most memorable hotel experiences over my years of travelling. I used to live in Florence and when I left to come back to England I stumbled upon Il Bargellino on my return trip with my partner a couple of years later. This was back in 2002 and I had such a great stay and Pino and Carmel were so welcoming and friendly to us that we continued to go back each time I wanted a little trip back to Florence, sometimes taking groups of friends with us who caught on to the uniqueness of this hotel. I haven't been to Florence for a good 5 or so years and I'm going back this weekend. I couldn't think of a more homely place to stay in Florence - you do get what you pay for so I think this is perfectly reasonable value for money. The oldie woldie style of the rooms that some people have described is exactly what makes it charming - it has a typical Florentine/Guelph feel to it, if you want modern eclectic luxury this isn't the place for you but if you want a bit of cool and quirky that represents what Florence is about I definitely recommend!

Room Tip: I personally don't like sharing bathrooms so make sure you specify if you want a private bathroo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely, glowing review! Pino and I strive to provide a clean, fun and safe environment for all guests and we love it when you return and sincerely appreciate it when you take the time to post to Trip Advisor and recommend "Il Bargellino" to friends and family.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Friendly, laid-back... a little bit 'sixties'. Il Bargellino is very good value and well placed for trains buses and a stroll into the city centre. Having museum tickets pre-booked by Carmela was great - we were very happy when we saw the huge queues for people who hadn't booked. We had room 1 which doesn't have air-conditioning so it was warm but not too bad witrh the fan running. A good sized room at the price with a nice clean 4 piece on-suite shower room. Quite a lot of noise from the street late at night and early morning though.

The roof terrace is a great place to come back to after an evening meal and socialise with other guests - not so sure you'd be happy with this late night socialising if you had one of the rooms off the terrace though!

WARNING: TRAIN STATION MONEY EXCHANGE. This is a tale of my own stupidity and nothing to do with the hotel. We needed cash and I looked in vain for a cash machine in the station (the bank was being renovated. Couldn't find one on the streets near the station (we saw some later but they're hard to spot). We used a debit card to draw 200 euros at the station exchange shop. The woman said there was commission but managed keep the amount unclear until I had entered my pin (I told you I was stupid!) but she already had my passport and card. It transpired that there is commision and fees totalling 20% so our 200 euros cost 40 euros to draw. In my defence the clerk was very clever at pushing you through the transaction (it's her job to rob you) and you have the pressure of a queue behind you and the language problem. So beware.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alan c
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We were in Florence for two nights at the end of May and decided to stay at this small Florence Hotel. Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner Pino, who quickly checked us in, assisted us with our luggage and provided us with some information relative to Florence.

The most important issues for us are cleanliness and our quality of sleep. We found our room to be very clean and while our room faced the street we did not have any noise issues. The hotel is located on a side street away from most of the traffic & pedestrian volume but still close to the Florence attractions. It is probably only a 10/12 minute walk to the train station.

One of the things we enjoyed most about our stay here was the great outdoor sitting area where in the evening guests often gather to discuss their daily adventures. A great way to meet travellers from all over the globe.

We would not hesitate to stay here again and would certainly recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rayhar
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We (two couples) stayed at Carmel and Pino’s wonderful hotel for five nights in May and recommend it wholeheartedly. As others have pointed out, the location is ideal – close to the train station and yet in a quiet neighborhood, within easy walking distance to the Duomo and other major destinations, including the market for picking up food. We had room 7, which is off in a corner overlooking the terrace, and it couldn’t be a sweeter room (our co-travelers had room 6 and there is the sound of street activity on that side of the hotel). The terrace itself is a real treat – a place to drink coffee in the morning (great coffee machines in every room), eat prosciutto and cheese and drink wine in the evening, visit with others who are staying there if you’re so inclined, pet the cat and/or talk with the parrot – a real respite from the stimulation of all that Florence has to offer. We got in fairly late the first night and had a fun meal at ZaZa’s and then a stroll to the Duomo, which is truly magical at night. The restaurant just a few doors down from the hotel is a nice standby, either for a full meal or just some soup and fried calamari. It was great to be so close to everything, and Carmel and Pino are sweet, interesting and helpful people.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very old but its okay for me. Its a near walk from the train station to the hotel, about five mintues with our heavy luggages.

The receptionist was really friendly and recommended us to ZaZa. It was delicious.

Our room. Well, we got room 6. Which had pretty bad reviews. To me, the room was okay. It had a coffee maker, a few paintings, a wardrobe and a fridge. The toilet had a weird smell. Kind of like from the sewage but it is bearable for me. Not for my mom though. And our room blacked out at our last night but only for 5 minutes

So all in all. Its a pretty good hotel with a pretty good price. Highly recommended except for the smell in the toilet. They have to fix that.