“An amazing family run hotel!”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #120 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Florence! I cannot say enough good things about Hotel Il Bargellino and the host, Pino. The room was large and clean, the location was great and Pino, really made the stay for us. He consistently went out of his way to make sure our visit in Florence was the best it could be. The hotel was also a great value. Thank you Pino for an amazing stay!

Pros:
• Our room was very spacious and immaculately clean with a comfy bed
• The bathroom was clean and big compared to many others that we encountered in Italy
• Pino was by far the best host we had during our travels in Italy (we stayed in 6 different hotels)- he went above and beyond every day to make sure we were having a fantastic visit and was very friendly and helpful
• Great location- walking distance from the train station (5min) and most major attractions (very close to the central market and the duomo)
• Our room also had a door that went out onto a big communal balcony, where we often hung out in the afternoons (I don’t think all rooms were attached to the balcony but they could access it for lounging)
• Free wifi was fast and reliable
• We had a fridge and coffee maker available in our room

Cons:
• Air conditioning costs extra and Florence can get quite hot (it’s worth it to pay a little more if you are visiting in the summer)
• We found Leopaldo charming but if you have an issue with birds, you should be aware that the hosts have a parrot who is often out on the balcony during the day

In response to some bad reviews I read:
1) We had no issues with odours or cleanliness in our room (Pino told us during our stay that he is planning to renovate “room 6” in the near future, which seems to be the focus of the few negative reviews)
2) We did not meet Carmel during our stay since she was travelling, but Pino spoke very comprehensible English and we had no problems communicating with him
3) We had a problem with mosquitoes on our first night at the hotel but after informing Pino, he replaced the tablet of our plug-in repellant device and we didn’t have any further problems after that
4) This is a family run hotel that is clean and simple with fantastic hosts but it is not a 5 star resort (nor does it claim to be), if you want to stay in a fancy hotel then go pay more and stay elsewhere

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Il Bargellino guests ROCK! Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to post.
Always much appreciated.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed at Hotel Il Bargellino in Florence for 3 nights in August, 2012. What a terrific little neighborhood hotel! Very easy to find due to Carmel's detailed instructions. She also had booked reservations for us at The Accademia Museum in advance. Large room, very clean, loads of hot water and a fantastic coffee maker in the room (we only wished for more coffee!).
Our room (#9 - which I had requested based on a TA recommendation...) opened onto the second-floor terrace which was a great place to have coffee or wine and antipasto in the evening. It was extremely quiet and no one was ever on the terrace with us, except Pino, tending to his plants or Fernando (his parrot!). The hotel was only a few minutes walk from the train/bus station and since Florence isn't that large and we like to walk, it was very convenient to everything. The hosts live on site and you can come and go as you please, even return very late at night. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat! A breakfast in the morning would have made it even better!

Room Tip: #9 was great!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to post on TA. It makes my job easier when prospective guests have a chance to evaluate Il Bargellino before reserving.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

1st id like to start by saying this was my 1st trip to Europe, so take all comments as you will. My husband and i were traveling though Italy on our honeymoon and i would have to say this was by far the worst hotel we stayed at. I think the over all dingy look of this old hotel over powered my thoughts about its cleanliness so i wont really talk about that... my husband was semi pleased with the cleanliness so i'll leave it at that. Upon booking our hotel we read that there was AC and bought and paid for a room with a private bath and terrace entrance. Upon arrival we were given the option of a terrace room or a private bath... We opted for the private bath which lead us to our second MAJOR disappointment... No AC in our room. Even though we paid for both we were not given both. Apparently there is AC in the upper rooms that you have to purchase the usage of at an additional price. Mind you it was 100+ degrees the entire time we were in italy. We never would have stayed in a hotel with no AC willingly on our honeymoon.

I could keep making a list but i guess over all we were disappointed in the fact that we were mislead in what this hotel had to offer. The one plus side to this hotel was the terrace, It was very nice to layout after a long afternoon of sight seeing and yes, like everyone else says the Carmel was helpful and kind. She didn't really chat with us much but offered to help in any way she could.

Room Tip: if its a hot month make sure to get an upstairs room so you have the option of AC
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Someone, either Pino our niece Rosita and/or I is always on the premises to chat, make museum and dinner reservations, answer questions and offer advice when requested.
Our goal is to be non-invasive yet available.
We at Il Bargellino NEVER knowingly mislead or overcharge guests. I am certain that you did
not pay for any services not rendered.
Thanks to Trip Advisor for the amazing service you provide.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Carmel & Pino were a delight. Thanks for great accomodations & service. Watched our bags while we roamed Florence until we left on our late train. Our hotel short stay was highlighted by the beautiful terrace (my two boys loved the Wi-Fi on the terrace) and proximity to train station.

We would not hesitate to stay here again and would certainly recommend it to our friends.

Ciao!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you (and everyone) so much for taking the time! Carmel

Reviewed 15 August 2012

I found this hotel on the Venere website. I was traveling alone and I needed a spot close to the train station. The hotel is within a five-ten minute walking distance. The owners were very kind to me by makiing sure I was comfortable staying there. I was invited to spend a few nights with them on the wonderful terrance. They are great to chat with and made me feel at home.

They are both helpful with directions and sites to see during your time there. The place is clean, comfortable, secured and quiet at nights to help with sleeping.

I will be going back one day to see them both!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sabrina045
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I recently returned from my FOURTH trip to Italy in as many years, and from a stay at my FAVORITE place in Florence - Hotel Il Bargellino. This hotel is a most interesting place. It is clean, friendly and very hospitable. The owners, Carmel and Pino, are amazing. On my most recent stay I had hurt my foot and needed several days to stay in or close by to the Hotel. It was like being at home!! Carmel always made sure she had made extra ice so that I could take care of my foot. I have met such interesting people staying at Il Bargellino, people from all over the world, and most of them, like myself come back every opportunity we get. In the evenings many of the hotel guests mingle on the beautiful roof top terrace, sharing food, wine and conversation.

There is a great little place for breakfast and snacks just one block up at the corner of Via Guellfa and Via Nazionale. It is Bar Fibbi. We loved a restaurant Carmel recommended called Ciro and Sons and one Pino recommended a few doors down called Trattoria Guelfa. There was also a great new restaurant just opening across the street that I was able to go to the last night of my stay called Cavolo Nero. Next door to the hotel is an amazing culinary school called Apicius. I was very intrigued by the wonderful aromas coming from the school and I was invited in to see their space. It is spectacular. On one of my stays at Il Bargellino I took a one night cooking class with two of my girlfriends. It was a great way to spend an early evening cooking, conversing and enjoying the fruits of our labor.

Hotel Il Bargellino is a very short walk to the train station, Santa Maria Novella. I have enjoyed many day trips to Rome and Venice by leaving early in the morning and taking the latest train back. I have also kept my room at Il Bargellino and taken short one or two night trips to other locations.

I guess what I want other travellers to know is that this hotel is a perfect place to stay. Not only because of having everything you need so close by but more importantly about the hotel, Carmel, Pino and Leopoldo (their bird). I have never written a review of a hotel, but felt I wanted to put this out there. I have worked customer service at two different locations and I know how good it feels one someone lets you know you've done a good job, so I always make it a point to give good customer reviews at places where I shop or do business - if it is deserved. So, this is my first hotel review and I couldn't be more pleased in passing on the information about this little gem in Florence.

Room Tip: I have been fortunate enough to book early and get a room that opens on to the terrace. But I have...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Annemarie S
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I think I need to start this review by covering off the following. The owners of this hotel are quite charming and the lady owner quite helpful ( pre visit - she was away when we stayed ) BUT that seems to overshadow the actual facilities & cleanliness at this hotel.

I wish I had read the negative reviews before my booking BUT IVE LEARNT! I also notice that there are previous terrible reviews to which the owners have replied. However, as it is not possible to do a follow-up response to their reply I wanted to cover the fact that whatever excuses and reasons they give to cover off this review the standards or cleanliness and fittings is unacceptable for any establishment and although I cannot speak for all rooms I think my photos attached to this review will give regular TripAdvisor users a good idea of what to generally expect.

I shall be brief : 1. Appalling bathroom unclean and more like a 1960s prison facility. We went and got our own cleaning materials! See photos attached. The English speaking owner was away and her husband spoke next to NO English to explain the smells from the drains in the bathroom and maybe they were from the light shaft which runs through the bathroom ( which is borded up and closed with screws ). Previously they have said its the old Florence drains but bathrooms since the 60s have water locks to stop smells! 3. The hotel is on a very noisy road which is used all night. Cant open windowsas Mosquitos in abundance. Air-con avaiable at extra cost. Please Please just look at the other terrible reviews on here for more information.

My advice - Yes cheap but levels and standards are unnacceptable book somewhere else

At least Room 6 should be shut down until refitted. This is one of their most expensive rooms with ensuite.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank WorlddTravellerr
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Pino and I realize that Trip Advisor is a great source for you as a traveler to have a peek at an establishment before booking. We can only ask that you base your decision on more than one reviewers comments and photos of only the ugliest corners he could find. We plan to post new photos of this and other rooms and facilities to give you a more balanced view of what we and hundreds of previous guests think is one of the best deals in Florence.

I can not stress enough that all facilities are cleaned and disinfected daily. That said the bathroom tiles in the one photographed are old and discolored and we are updating and renewing fixtures constantly. The oldest (the one in question) among other bathrooms is slated for renovations. New appliances, e.g. hair dryers, fans, coffee makers, refrigerator etc. available to all guests.

We ask in writing in every room and on the cork board located in the entrance that guests let us know of ANY problems they have in rooms. Perfect examples being the shower head not working or mosquitoes (we have quick easy solutions)

Our section of Via Guelfa is not the busiest street in town, but it is an urban, residential street. While no buses or over sized trucks use it, people, cars and scooters do pass by.

It means a great deal to us that the hotel Il Bargellino received the Trip Advisors 2012 Travelers Choice Award and especially that nearly to 90% of guest reviews are favorable.