“Good location”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #131 of 421 Hotels in Florence
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Close to the train station and the big market area. Walkable to the city center. Nice decoration of the place, big roof top to relax and a cute cat. Little minor problem is no air condition. You need to leave the room key to the staff when you go out, and pick it up when you come back. May sound a bit insecure but it was all fine when we stayed there. There was a nice coffee machine in the room and makes good coffee.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
ILBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for posting, we always appreciate a good review and constructive criticism. As an FYI to prospective guests, all rooms have a fan and most double rooms have optional A/C. Please inquire when you request a reservation through our official web site or by e-mailing me personally.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I recently stayed at Il Bargellino in Florence, Italy (a one-star hotel with a 3-4 star feel) for a week. It is located very close to the central train station and just a couple blocks away from the heart of Florence, however I did prefer the 'not-so'touristy' area of the hotel for eats and shops, like the Central Market. First of all, it is immaculately clean! I had a single room with a shared bathroom. I wouldn't have ever guessed that I was even sharing the toilet and shower with other guests due to the availability and the cleanliness of both. My room was made up daily. The room was large enough for me to move around in with a nice desk for me to do any paperwork or reading. The room had a sink and a bidet as well. These were also cleaned daily. There are rooms with personal showers and toilets, if preferred. Secondly, I loved that guests are required to leave our room keys hanging at the front desk when we departed the hotel at any time. This was nice as I knew I would never worry about loosing my hotel key! The hotel is quaint and cozy with an outside rooftop common area that is shaded for guests to relax, read, chat, and eat our picnic food. They even have a refrigerator that guests can place food in when they need. Lastly, the staff/owners were wonderful! Carmen and her husband, Pino, were so kind and helpful with everything. They both were so happy to answer my questions about directions, interactions with the locals, and additional sights that aren't so touristy. The hotel is a professional, yet warm accommodation that feels like a second home. I highly recommend that anyone, single or doubles, give this wonderfully charming and comfortable hotel in Florence a try...you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside have a bit of street noise. Some rooms on the inside have patio access. No AC...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Carmel and Pino, the hosts at this perfect little hotel, were so kind and made me feel like this was my home. I stayed two nights and wished I had more time so that I could have enjoyed the terrace, which my room #8 opened onto. The hotel itself is an old villa of Florence, so the feeling was that I lived there, which is how I always like to think of Florence, once of my favorite places on earth. I got a room with a bathroom because I like my own space, and I was very happy and comfortable there. Also, it is two blocks from Santa Maria Novella station on a quiet, residential street, so it was very convenient for catching the fast train to Fumicino when I had to leave.

Room Tip: If you will be there in nice weather, ask for one of the rooms off the terrace -- the terrace is ama...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Verona, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed 2 nights and we loved this place. The room had a fan which was nice and our room opened onto a patio where you can go and read and watch the parrot play. Carmel helped my daughter speak Italian every time he saw us.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Kilkenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We are two friends and we stayed here for two nights. We stayed in room 7 which overlooked the lovely terrace. We packed a lot into our two days here so we didn't really get to spend much time on the terrace which was a pity as it is so pretty and the perfect spot to unwind after a long day. If you are a solo traveller, this would be a great hotel to meet and chat to other people.

The room was decorated fabulously and had a real old world charm about it. The a/c was ten euro a night extra which we thought was a bit much initially but when u take into account how reasonable it is to stay here, I guess its fair.

Carmel was really helpful and arranged a bike tour for us and gave us recommendations on where to eat.

All in all, we loved this hotel. It really felt lie we were in Italy! The location is perfect and is only a 10-15 minutes walk from all the major tourist attractions. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
fort lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My son and I selected Il Bargellino based on Rick Steve's travel guide and couldn't have been more pleased. Even though the hotel is so easy to find from the train station, we got lost and Carmel was so kind to come to us and guide us back to the hotel. I agree the terrace is a great bonus, we loved having it right outside our room and visiting with her parrot and the neighbors cat. Carmel and Nino are great hosts, available but not intrusive. They have maintained the historic charm of the hotel in the decor and Nino's art, while providing modern updates such as the bathrooms. The hotel certainly was a big part of making our stay in Florence perfect, would highly recommend for someone wanting a great value, location, and sense of the city.

Room Tip: We had a terrace facing room which was really nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank everettk25
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We booked a few nights here and loved it! The owners are fabulous, really nice and helpful. The terrace just so amazing to hang out on. Our room was really stunning. Can't wait to come back here again. Thanks so much!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple