“great home base”

Ranked #131 of 421 Hotels in Florence
oregon WI
“great home base”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Hotel Il Bargellino was just a few minutes walk from train/bus station. Carmel and Pino were wonderful hosts, very helpful with all kinds of information from places to eat, buses to catch and which internet cafe was the brightest and cleanest! This was a 30 year delayed trip for my husband and myself. Our plan was to stay at a home base for 6 nights in a row and soak up Florence at our leisure. After 6 days we took 3 days to travel to nearby areas and then back for 1 last night at Il Bargellino . Everything about it was accomadating. The third floor terrace area just down the hall from our room was a great place to gather and meet others, share travel stories and drink wine! Very good eateries just up and down the street and only a 10 minute walk to the Duomo and musuems. We look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

I was recommended to Il Bargellino from a friend of mine. I cannot say enough about the owners, Carmel and Pino, who are now very close friends of mine. I ate with them in their kitchen and on the patio many nights long after I left the hotel after finding an apartment near Santa Croce. The rooms are extremly clean and comfortable. The prices are beyond reasonable. You literally feel like you are staying in someones house. All the guests hang out on the patio at night and have a great time having wine and making new friends.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

Near the rail and bus stations in an interesting area by the market. Rooms are a good size, but when it's hot they suffer from absence of air conditioning and some outside noise. The big pluses of the hotel are the excellent service and friendly attitude from Carmel and the fabulous roof terrace where you can meet other guests and the resident parrot.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

I had a lovely stay at Hotel Il Bargellino. Carmel and Pino were friendly and welcoming and it occasionally felt more like staying at a friend's home than staying in a hotel. I loved sitting out on the terrace and meeting fellow travellers. Even though it's a little farther from the center of town than other hotels, I (a solo female traveller) never felt unsafe when walking home late. All major tourist sites are no more than a 5-15 minute walk and the walk was a fun way to see different parts of town. The hotel is only minutes from the Mercato Centrale and the San Lorenzo Market, where I did much of my shopping, and it was convenient to be able to drop off my purchases instead of dragging them around with me all day.
It was also incredibly nice to have Carmel there, as most of the other hoteliers I dealt with in Italy weren't fluent in English. It was great to have all my questions fully understood and answered.
One piece of advice: if you're travelling in July/August make sure to request a room with air conditioning, as not all of them have it. For only slightly more money, it's totally worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2010

What can I say that hasn't been said? This place has a great atmosphere, comfortable rooms, friendly service and a bunch of bonuses, like advance museum ticket bookings, daily room cleaning, a mini-fridge and access to the terrace. I particularily liked that the shower in the bathroom was the kind where you can take it off the hook and wash properly. I booked in February for June, and Carmel kept in wonderful contact and responded promptly to each and every inquiry.

The terrace was amazing and undoubtedly one of the best perks of this hotel. We kept salad fixings, fruit, and orange juice from the supermarket, and the meets, cheeses and wine we bought in Chianti, in the little fridge and had wonderful spreads for two meals a day. We enjoyed the company of tons of other guests, watched the birds fly above us at sunset, heard church bells in the distance and sometimes just took a time-out with a book and a glass of wine. It was a great sanctuary and a great way to begin and end each day.

We never felt we were too far from anything, and we walked everywhere. It was simple to get to the train and bus station for day trips, and the hotel was even close enough that when we forgot our reservation number for the Academia, my husband was able to run back and get it, and get back to the museum in less than 15 minutes!

Two words of caution: first, we tried take-out from a couple of the restaurants nearby (a pizza place, a pasta place and a chinese place) and found it all to be mediocre. I'd go beyond the immediate street for food. Second, take some bug spray. We had no problems with mosquitos in our room (we were given a plug in tablet to make sure of that), but the first night sitting out on the terrace I got a bunch of bites.

We stayed six nights and our stay was absolutly wonderful. I am someone who likes good value for my dollar, and this place most definatly had a lot of value.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichelleNSam
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Pros: Great value, super clean room, kind and helpful staff, and amazing location. It's not in the middle of Florence's historic sights, but it's only 5 minutes from them or the train station. We used it as a base to explore Florence, take a train to Venice, and do a bus tour of Tuscany. Florence is easily walkable and safe (even late at night), and this hotel was perfect for our needs. The terrace is very nice, but we found ourselves so busy that we never used it.

Cons: I really can't think of any. We stayed for 5 days and felt quite at home there. We'll be sure to return in the future. Highly recommended.

PS - Try the Focaccia bread from Panificio on the same street....sooo good!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

We totally enjoyed our stay at il Bargellino. It was a wonderful relaxing place to stay. Our room opened to the beautiful terrace where we enjoyed bringing wine and light meals from the deli. Our two girls in their mid 20's thought it was wonderful as well. Loved Leo, their bird, as well as all the beautiful plants. Carmel and Pino are friendly helped us with any questions we had and made us feel as if we were at home. The rooms were clean, attractive, and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family