“Totaly Loved It”

Ranked #109 of 422 Hotels in Florence
MA
“Totaly Loved It”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I had the best time, at this hotel. The location to the train station was great. You could walk everywhere. We did day trips to Rome, Pisa and Venice. Lots of fun at this family hotel. Cats cute, parrot is a riot, he says some italian words, it cracked us up. Would stay again. Can't wait to go back. Hopefully Nov. I work for an airline, so its easy to swap off time and travel this time of year.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We booked this "hotel" for the Florence leg of our honeymoon, based on it's super-high rating on this site. Our experience?
Absolute garbage, we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Pros: Close to cheaper, classier hotels
Cons: Everything.

I have stayed in everything from a 5-star to a college dorm in my travels, but never a hostel and I imagine this is very close to what one would be like.

We stayed in room 6 on the top floor, next to the owner's living room/kitchen.

First off - Il Barge-ellino (as my husband calls it) is a ONE-STAR property, check it out in Google View, and they charge as much or MORE than three-star hotels in the immediate area. Threadbare towels (we were given ONE!), a ratty old bathmat, the a/c was more pitiful than anything else I'd seen in Italy, the cat was a nuisance, the parrot on the terrace was creepy, the room's walls were filthy (black grime all over the lightswitch plate, you get the idea), the bathroom was so dirty I was reduced to tears. I sent my husband out for cleaning products and tried to clean it. 20 minutes soaking in VIM revealed the actual colour of the shower, with scrubbing. Mold all over. The shower curtain was red-mildewed, to boot. They gave one bar of tiny soap for toiletries. The fridge was stinky and wouldn't keep anything cold.

Dirty, run down (look closely at the photos!)...it's like staying with a friend who happens to live in project or social housing. I don't think they have a maid, or if they do, she doesn't clean all the rooms daily.

Now, in their defence, we managed a peek in one of the "shared bathroom" rooms, the washroom was tolerable, like a shared college washroom, but still not very nice or comfortable. The room itself was actually somewhat nicer than the one we had been given.

When we checked out the following morning, Carmel was indignant and infuriated. We kept our opinions to ourselves. Pino shuffles around in a dirty white tank top.
It's obvious they spend little to nothing on cleaning and maintence.

We found a 3-star hotel, not a hostel with pretention, for 10 euro cheaper in July high season on a Saturday, no less, a 3 minute walk from the Barge. Thank goodness.

Please, do yourself a favour, this place has NO advantages over other properties in the area. Hotels in Italy are not all like this, this is not what you should settle for. You can get what North Americans would consider a 3-star hotel with anemities (like an elevator!, free internet, clean towels, a clean washroom and some sense of ambiance) anywhere else in the city for cheaper.
And yes, I have pictures of our room interior.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank inaho82
IlBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
I'm sorry that your stay at our small family-run hotel was less than expected during your honeymoon visit. We strive to create a pleasant experience for all guests, and more often than not receive highly favorable reviews. That said, I would like to make some clarifications with regard to your recent review. Most of your concerns could have easily been addressed had they been brought to our attention at the time of your stay in July.

- The bathroom of the room you stayed in may be slightly older, but it is cleaned daily, as are all rooms and bathroom facilities at the hotel;
- The Bargellino does have easily-accessed WiFi. The access password is readily provided upon request and is also posted by the entrance;
-Each guest room is outfitted towels and soap. Guests need only ask and will be provided with any missing items upon request;
- The room air conditioner is new, and we would gladly have provided instruction on its use so as to maximize its cooling capacity;
- The fridge, while small, does sufficiently keep already-cold items chilled, while there is also a shelf where non-refrigerated items can be stored (this is explained in the room booklet) Ice is also available upon request;
- And Leopoldo (our parrot), is very friendly and usually a great source of entertainment for many of our guests. I'm sorry that was not your experience.
Carmel
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Hotel Il Bargellino is a 10 room family style pension that can get a little noisy at times as other guest are talking and walking on the tiled hallway. The room doors are like regular bedroom doors which do very little to shut out the interior noise by other guest if they are loud going to their own room. Still, I liked the place and thought the owners were very pleasant. They didn't bother you when you wanted to be by yourself, but were very helpful whenever you needed something. It was a good mix that is hard to come by at other B&Bs we have stayed at. The price at $120/night (a little over 90E for the exchange rate at the time), is fair. We found the location to be convenient.

I look at it this way, not just because of the room doors, but because the owners share their wonderful terrace (and their pets) with the guest. Having read a number of reviews here prior to booking, I was still surprised by how nice the terrace was. For us, it is the thing that will probably bring us back to Il Bargellino should we ever return to Florence. The owners also booked a museum at our request in advance for no charge. This was very helpful and appreciated.

We had a large room with a frig and desk that was tastefully decorated and had a second door to the terrace. King Size bed. Bathroom was on the small size. Very clean. To be totally honest in this review, I have to say that in the morning there was a noticeable odor of sewer gas in the bathroom. Running the power exhaust fan in the bathroom did not help. I hate to mention it because I think this problem is more to do with the overcrowding in Florence than it does with this property. As I walked around the neighborhood for several blocks early in the morning, this same sewer gas smell was even stronger at street level everywhere I walked.

In short, I would recommend this property with some minor warnings.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DFWTom
Boston, MA
Reviewed 4 October 2010

From the moment I stepped into Il Bargellino I felt at home. Family owned business greets you with a sincere smile and Carmel and Pino are there to make sure your stay in Florence is a memorable experience. Close to everything. They have an amazing roof deck to hang out in.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank PatriziaG
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Tucked away down a side-street you will be warmly greeted and offerred any help in english, we had a tour booked and recommendations made, nothing was a problem, The rooms were decorated nicely and very clean. The hotel has a great balcony for wining and dining or just sitting in the sun to read a book, or to dry washing. We really enjoyed this stay. Excellent value.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Parma, Ohio
Reviewed 25 September 2010

While both owners are pleasant and charming, perhaps they are too much so. We stayed four nights and on two of them they hosted parties that were rather loud. One night I was awaked at 1:45 a.m. The hotel itself is a lovely building but not exactly quiet. We ran our air conditioner more for white noise/background noise than because it was hot. Our bed was like a brick as were the pillows which made for uncomfortable sleeping. The terrace is wonderful and a great place to return to mid-day for a drink or some quiet as no one is really there. The location is convenient - just far enough away from the train station. Conveniences surround the hotel including a laundry mat and food store. In the room is a booklet put together by the owners giving lots of helpful information. Well worth reading before setting out to see the sights.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 September 2010

I came here as the Pisa city is just 20min by train, and i thought this city would offer better accomodation and fun at night than in Pisa. And i was right for this hotel !

This place offers amazing deal compare to any hotels near by.
Why ? Becaus the location is a five minute walk from anywhere in Florence (bridge, restaurants, rail and bus stations etc...). I am sure no one will disappoint about its location.

Our room was in very good size, exceeded my expectation and clean as well.
However, a downside (negative) about this is that it needs to have air-conditional machine as Italy is very hot in the summer.

Also it offers an fabulous roof terrace and nice staff.
Overrall, a very good restaurant with the good and fair deal !

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple