“A feeling of warmth, love friendship along with the comforts of home!”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #115 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I went to Italy for my second time in September. This time was better than the first. I stayed at the Il Bargelino and it was the best thing I could have done. The owners Carmel and Pinot were amazing! They provide all the conforts of home. Carmel was nice enough to provide directions, places to go, she recommended good resturants, tours and much much more. Pinot was extremely hospitable, as well as a great artist. He has many of his amazing pieces of art work covering the walls inside of this very affordable bed & breakfast. The prices are cheap cheap cheap! With rooms full of color that are absolutely adorable and quaint.
This place is great to come back to when you've spent your day traveling, or it's just as marvelous to hang out on the roof deck and enjoy the fresh air, along with great company. Carmel and Pinot are never to busy to entertain, provide information or just to talk to.
I have stayed in expensive five star hotels while in Italy and have learned the Il Barargellino by far is more superior!!! I recommend the Il Bargellino and will be sure to stay there many more times in the future!!!!! Thank you for such a pleasurable stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 October 2010

My (now) husband and I went to Florence to get married at the Palazzo Vecchio, and stayed in Il Barellino. What can I say? It was like the trips people make in movies, where the accomodations are far more charming than the main character should be able to afford, in an amazing place, full of people who become your friends. We arrived, and the hotel was lovely, full of art and light and flowers. The room was beautiful, with an old world feeling that we loved (while still very comfortable to wimpy American travelers). We had doors that opened out onto a lovely terrace, and a little black cat (whose name I could never pronounce, so we just called her Sylvestro, like the owners did) who would come into our room if we let her and cuddle on the bed. I love cats, and this made it feel so much like home to me. They also had a parrot, Leopoldo, who was hilarious, though he only has eyes for Pino. ;)

On top of this, Carmel and Pino, the owners, were fabulous. They offered tons of information about what to see, offered to procure advance tickets to the museums to save us the long lines, and when we asked for advice on finding a translator for our wedding (which was required), Carmel not only offered to be our translator, but she found witnesses for us among the hotel guests, took our wedding pictures, and she and Pino threw us a party that night, inviting the other guests and other people they knew who were likewise super nice, super interesting, and helped make our wedding a dream come true. I actually cried when we had to leave, and have recommended them to absolutely everyone. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I had the best time, at this hotel. The location to the train station was great. You could walk everywhere. We did day trips to Rome, Pisa and Venice. Lots of fun at this family hotel. Cats cute, parrot is a riot, he says some italian words, it cracked us up. Would stay again. Can't wait to go back. Hopefully Nov. I work for an airline, so its easy to swap off time and travel this time of year.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We booked this "hotel" for the Florence leg of our honeymoon, based on it's super-high rating on this site. Our experience?
Absolute garbage, we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Pros: Close to cheaper, classier hotels
Cons: Everything.

I have stayed in everything from a 5-star to a college dorm in my travels, but never a hostel and I imagine this is very close to what one would be like.

We stayed in room 6 on the top floor, next to the owner's living room/kitchen.

First off - Il Barge-ellino (as my husband calls it) is a ONE-STAR property, check it out in Google View, and they charge as much or MORE than three-star hotels in the immediate area. Threadbare towels (we were given ONE!), a ratty old bathmat, the a/c was more pitiful than anything else I'd seen in Italy, the cat was a nuisance, the parrot on the terrace was creepy, the room's walls were filthy (black grime all over the lightswitch plate, you get the idea), the bathroom was so dirty I was reduced to tears. I sent my husband out for cleaning products and tried to clean it. 20 minutes soaking in VIM revealed the actual colour of the shower, with scrubbing. Mold all over. The shower curtain was red-mildewed, to boot. They gave one bar of tiny soap for toiletries. The fridge was stinky and wouldn't keep anything cold.

Dirty, run down (look closely at the photos!)...it's like staying with a friend who happens to live in project or social housing. I don't think they have a maid, or if they do, she doesn't clean all the rooms daily.

Now, in their defence, we managed a peek in one of the "shared bathroom" rooms, the washroom was tolerable, like a shared college washroom, but still not very nice or comfortable. The room itself was actually somewhat nicer than the one we had been given.

When we checked out the following morning, Carmel was indignant and infuriated. We kept our opinions to ourselves. Pino shuffles around in a dirty white tank top.
It's obvious they spend little to nothing on cleaning and maintence.

We found a 3-star hotel, not a hostel with pretention, for 10 euro cheaper in July high season on a Saturday, no less, a 3 minute walk from the Barge. Thank goodness.

Please, do yourself a favour, this place has NO advantages over other properties in the area. Hotels in Italy are not all like this, this is not what you should settle for. You can get what North Americans would consider a 3-star hotel with anemities (like an elevator!, free internet, clean towels, a clean washroom and some sense of ambiance) anywhere else in the city for cheaper.
And yes, I have pictures of our room interior.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank inaho82
IlBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

I'm sorry that your stay at our small family-run hotel was less than expected during your honeymoon visit. We strive to create a pleasant experience for all guests, and more often than not receive highly favorable reviews. That said, I would like to make some clarifications with regard to your recent review. Most of your concerns could have easily been addressed had they been brought to our attention at the time of your stay in July.

- The bathroom of the room you stayed in may be slightly older, but it is cleaned daily, as are all rooms and bathroom facilities at the hotel;
- The Bargellino does have easily-accessed WiFi. The access password is readily provided upon request and is also posted by the entrance;
-Each guest room is outfitted towels and soap. Guests need only ask and will be provided with any missing items upon request;
- The room air conditioner is new, and we would gladly have provided instruction on its use so as to maximize its cooling capacity;
- The fridge, while small, does sufficiently keep already-cold items chilled, while there is also a shelf where non-refrigerated items can be stored (this is explained in the room booklet) Ice is also available upon request;
- And Leopoldo (our parrot), is very friendly and usually a great source of entertainment for many of our guests. I'm sorry that was not your experience.
Carmel

Reviewed 7 October 2010

Hotel Il Bargellino is a 10 room family style pension that can get a little noisy at times as other guest are talking and walking on the tiled hallway. The room doors are like regular bedroom doors which do very little to shut out the interior noise by other guest if they are loud going to their own room. Still, I liked the place and thought the owners were very pleasant. They didn't bother you when you wanted to be by yourself, but were very helpful whenever you needed something. It was a good mix that is hard to come by at other B&Bs we have stayed at. The price at $120/night (a little over 90E for the exchange rate at the time), is fair. We found the location to be convenient.

I look at it this way, not just because of the room doors, but because the owners share their wonderful terrace (and their pets) with the guest. Having read a number of reviews here prior to booking, I was still surprised by how nice the terrace was. For us, it is the thing that will probably bring us back to Il Bargellino should we ever return to Florence. The owners also booked a museum at our request in advance for no charge. This was very helpful and appreciated.

We had a large room with a frig and desk that was tastefully decorated and had a second door to the terrace. King Size bed. Bathroom was on the small size. Very clean. To be totally honest in this review, I have to say that in the morning there was a noticeable odor of sewer gas in the bathroom. Running the power exhaust fan in the bathroom did not help. I hate to mention it because I think this problem is more to do with the overcrowding in Florence than it does with this property. As I walked around the neighborhood for several blocks early in the morning, this same sewer gas smell was even stronger at street level everywhere I walked.

In short, I would recommend this property with some minor warnings.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DFWTom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

From the moment I stepped into Il Bargellino I felt at home. Family owned business greets you with a sincere smile and Carmel and Pino are there to make sure your stay in Florence is a memorable experience. Close to everything. They have an amazing roof deck to hang out in.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank PatriziaG
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Tucked away down a side-street you will be warmly greeted and offerred any help in english, we had a tour booked and recommendations made, nothing was a problem, The rooms were decorated nicely and very clean. The hotel has a great balcony for wining and dining or just sitting in the sun to read a book, or to dry washing. We really enjoyed this stay. Excellent value.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family