“The Il Bargellino Hotel is a Great Value in Florence and Located Just Outside the Tourist Chaos Zone”

Hotel Il Bargellino
Ranked #114 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Novato, California
Reviewed 24 October 2010

Il Bargellino is a clean and basic hotel about 2 blocks north of the train station and about 2 blocks west of the indoor Central Market. It is out of the main tourist traffic areas but within walking distance of the center. This is a good location if you want to escape the tourist hustle and bustle and still be staying overnight in the old city. If you want the amenities of a 3-4-star hotel, this place is not for you. Besides offering a good value product, I see the Il Bargellino Hotel's major competitive advantages as:

(1) Great personalized customer service (museum reservations, taxis, directions, restaurants) and interaction,

(2) Access to the relaxing garden terrace (a paradise in the big city), and

(3) Excellent English speaking capability for monolingual Americans like us.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I was lucky enough to stay stay at Hotel Bargellino for one night. I had no reservation and just happened upon it by chance. I would have stayed another night but they were completely booked for the following night.

Carmel and Pino were wonderful hosts who made me feel welcome from the minute I arrived until after I checked out. They gave me the only available room, a double, for the single rate because i was traveling alone. Although the room wasn't made up they let me store my luggage while I went out in the city. When I was checking out they told me I could store my luggage in the room while I enjoyed one last day in the city.

The double I got at the single rate had a view of Via Guelpha and was nicely decorated as well as clean and comfortable. There was a sink with mirror in the room but a toilet and shower were shared down the hall, and were kept very clean. There is also a beautiful rooftop terrace (where I ate breakfast bought at the open air market within walking distance) awhere I got to meet the bird and cat that add to the homey quality of this hotel. Some street noise from Guelpha could be heard in the eveing but not enough to be a bother.

The hotel is in a convenient location as well. It's close to the train station as well as to most tourist destinations in the city, but not a busy street were there is a lot of street noise. It's also down the street from Bar 85 and the Florence Sauna, neither of which I stopped at while I was at the hotel, but I had such a hard time finding gay spots in Italy that I felt it was worth mentioning.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Pembs
Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed just for the one night (sadly they were full the night before), the host Carmel upgraded us FOC to a superb upper floor room with great bed and tasteful art and fittings. The rooftop courtyard terrace was a delight, nice to be able to relax in the evening sun with a book and a glass of chianti. Her delightful pet parrot and the odd cat just added to the ambience of this place......Go and stay there, it's right near the centre of Florence, you'll be well looked after.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I went to Italy for my second time in September. This time was better than the first. I stayed at the Il Bargelino and it was the best thing I could have done. The owners Carmel and Pinot were amazing! They provide all the conforts of home. Carmel was nice enough to provide directions, places to go, she recommended good resturants, tours and much much more. Pinot was extremely hospitable, as well as a great artist. He has many of his amazing pieces of art work covering the walls inside of this very affordable bed & breakfast. The prices are cheap cheap cheap! With rooms full of color that are absolutely adorable and quaint.
This place is great to come back to when you've spent your day traveling, or it's just as marvelous to hang out on the roof deck and enjoy the fresh air, along with great company. Carmel and Pinot are never to busy to entertain, provide information or just to talk to.
I have stayed in expensive five star hotels while in Italy and have learned the Il Barargellino by far is more superior!!! I recommend the Il Bargellino and will be sure to stay there many more times in the future!!!!! Thank you for such a pleasurable stay!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 October 2010

My (now) husband and I went to Florence to get married at the Palazzo Vecchio, and stayed in Il Barellino. What can I say? It was like the trips people make in movies, where the accomodations are far more charming than the main character should be able to afford, in an amazing place, full of people who become your friends. We arrived, and the hotel was lovely, full of art and light and flowers. The room was beautiful, with an old world feeling that we loved (while still very comfortable to wimpy American travelers). We had doors that opened out onto a lovely terrace, and a little black cat (whose name I could never pronounce, so we just called her Sylvestro, like the owners did) who would come into our room if we let her and cuddle on the bed. I love cats, and this made it feel so much like home to me. They also had a parrot, Leopoldo, who was hilarious, though he only has eyes for Pino. ;)

On top of this, Carmel and Pino, the owners, were fabulous. They offered tons of information about what to see, offered to procure advance tickets to the museums to save us the long lines, and when we asked for advice on finding a translator for our wedding (which was required), Carmel not only offered to be our translator, but she found witnesses for us among the hotel guests, took our wedding pictures, and she and Pino threw us a party that night, inviting the other guests and other people they knew who were likewise super nice, super interesting, and helped make our wedding a dream come true. I actually cried when we had to leave, and have recommended them to absolutely everyone. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
MA
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I had the best time, at this hotel. The location to the train station was great. You could walk everywhere. We did day trips to Rome, Pisa and Venice. Lots of fun at this family hotel. Cats cute, parrot is a riot, he says some italian words, it cracked us up. Would stay again. Can't wait to go back. Hopefully Nov. I work for an airline, so its easy to swap off time and travel this time of year.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We booked this "hotel" for the Florence leg of our honeymoon, based on it's super-high rating on this site. Our experience?
Absolute garbage, we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Pros: Close to cheaper, classier hotels
Cons: Everything.

I have stayed in everything from a 5-star to a college dorm in my travels, but never a hostel and I imagine this is very close to what one would be like.

We stayed in room 6 on the top floor, next to the owner's living room/kitchen.

First off - Il Barge-ellino (as my husband calls it) is a ONE-STAR property, check it out in Google View, and they charge as much or MORE than three-star hotels in the immediate area. Threadbare towels (we were given ONE!), a ratty old bathmat, the a/c was more pitiful than anything else I'd seen in Italy, the cat was a nuisance, the parrot on the terrace was creepy, the room's walls were filthy (black grime all over the lightswitch plate, you get the idea), the bathroom was so dirty I was reduced to tears. I sent my husband out for cleaning products and tried to clean it. 20 minutes soaking in VIM revealed the actual colour of the shower, with scrubbing. Mold all over. The shower curtain was red-mildewed, to boot. They gave one bar of tiny soap for toiletries. The fridge was stinky and wouldn't keep anything cold.

Dirty, run down (look closely at the photos!)...it's like staying with a friend who happens to live in project or social housing. I don't think they have a maid, or if they do, she doesn't clean all the rooms daily.

Now, in their defence, we managed a peek in one of the "shared bathroom" rooms, the washroom was tolerable, like a shared college washroom, but still not very nice or comfortable. The room itself was actually somewhat nicer than the one we had been given.

When we checked out the following morning, Carmel was indignant and infuriated. We kept our opinions to ourselves. Pino shuffles around in a dirty white tank top.
It's obvious they spend little to nothing on cleaning and maintence.

We found a 3-star hotel, not a hostel with pretention, for 10 euro cheaper in July high season on a Saturday, no less, a 3 minute walk from the Barge. Thank goodness.

Please, do yourself a favour, this place has NO advantages over other properties in the area. Hotels in Italy are not all like this, this is not what you should settle for. You can get what North Americans would consider a 3-star hotel with anemities (like an elevator!, free internet, clean towels, a clean washroom and some sense of ambiance) anywhere else in the city for cheaper.
And yes, I have pictures of our room interior.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank inaho82
IlBargellino, Owner at Hotel Il Bargellino, responded to this review, 13 October 2010
I'm sorry that your stay at our small family-run hotel was less than expected during your honeymoon visit. We strive to create a pleasant experience for all guests, and more often than not receive highly favorable reviews. That said, I would like to make some clarifications with regard to your recent review. Most of your concerns could have easily been addressed had they been brought to our attention at the time of your stay in July.

- The bathroom of the room you stayed in may be slightly older, but it is cleaned daily, as are all rooms and bathroom facilities at the hotel;
- The Bargellino does have easily-accessed WiFi. The access password is readily provided upon request and is also posted by the entrance;
-Each guest room is outfitted towels and soap. Guests need only ask and will be provided with any missing items upon request;
- The room air conditioner is new, and we would gladly have provided instruction on its use so as to maximize its cooling capacity;
- The fridge, while small, does sufficiently keep already-cold items chilled, while there is also a shelf where non-refrigerated items can be stored (this is explained in the room booklet) Ice is also available upon request;
- And Leopoldo (our parrot), is very friendly and usually a great source of entertainment for many of our guests. I'm sorry that was not your experience.
Carmel