“Adequate, clean hotel with good central location”
Review of HOTEL LORENA

HOTEL LORENA
Ranked #137 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Mariposa,ca
“Adequate, clean hotel with good central location”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

If you don't mind walking up to the second (in Italy, first floor) to get to the reception, this hotel should prove acceptable I'd you want to be within walking distance of the major sights and attractions of old Florence. It' close to the Accademie and Uffizie Galleries, the Palazzo Vecchio, the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, etc. from our fourth floor window we could see the done of the Duomo. Lots of great stores, shops and restaurants near. ALS, a self-serve laundromat in the same block. The rooms are SMALL. Many share a toilet/shower down the hall on each floor. We reserved a room with private bath and shower, but were told that room was only available for one night as they were "booked up"....even though we had reserved five months previously. The rooms were clean, but they only change towels once every other day. Staff was rather cold, and few seemed to speak much English. All in all, the location and price made it worth staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The hotel was located close to The main railway station and within easy walking distance to the main highlights of Florence. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. The hotel was a bit run down and needed a good make over. But it is a 2 star hotel and did offer good value for money. The breakfast was very inexpensive at 5 euro a head excellent value. The croissants, bread and coffee were all excellent. In addition they had egg, yoghurt and cereal on offer. The view out of our fourth floor window epitomized Florence with the Duomo and Campanile clearly visible.

There was no lift up to reception on the first floor, but there was a lift from there up. After traveling extensively by train I an sure that we lifted our bags up many more steps than we encountered here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David R
hotel_lorena_firenze, Responsabile reception at HOTEL LORENA, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Hello !!

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy that you appreciate our breakfast and croissant :))

I hope you will be our guest in the future !

Gudja Malta
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Hotel Lorena is a 2** hotel in the historical centre of Florence just opposite Medici Chapels.It is very clean,has an elevator from the first floor and from ground floor there are some stairs.Our room was air-conditioned and had a mini fridge.The bathroom was extremely clean and even the towels and linen.The window looks out onto a busy tourist piazza but not one sound was heard from the inside due to 2 double glazed sound proof windows.The breakfast is at 5 euro p.p. daily.I found that it was worth the price cause it was a buffet and there was quite a good selection!Lorena hotel is right in the historical centre and a few minutes away from the bus/train station so it was a real short walk.There's a supermarket a few meters away where we bought water.Due to our booking, we had no trouble as Venere took care of everything.I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Although a central location, as outlined in other poorer reviews, I would not trust this zone. Please read below before booking.

I arrived with a large suitcase and left this in the foyer area of the hotel. Please note that this was within the hotel doors (which were closed) and in a place where there were signs advising of telecameras. I went to the reception desk on the next floor, as the stairs were very steep and it was not possible to carry my suitcase without assistance. I was told to take a seat as the staff member was checking-out other guests.

When I returned to the foyer my suitcase was gone. I asked to view the footage of the security cameras and I was told they did not work. The male working in the hotel became very defensive and was shouting that I was accussing him of taking my suitcase. I wasn't accussing him, as he was clearly at the desk when my suitcase disappeared, but I was hoping the telecameras may have captured the person taking my suitcase and so I wanted to see the film.

When I went to the Police to do a "denuncia" (Italian police report), it was a bit strange that when the police officer phoned the hotel, they said that there was no film in the security cameras, rather than they weren't working, which was unfortunate when they had 4 screens displaying footage of the entrance behind the front desk. The most probable explanation is that a gypsie took the suitcase, but the attitude of the staff member was totally unprofessional.

Had the hotel staff been kinder and explained to me the process of making a police report, I would have accepted that someone from the street had most likely entered the hotel. GIven that my suitcase disappeared from hotel premises, the attitude of the staff member at the desk was really unprofessional, particularily given that the security cameras 'didn't have film in them'. He said to me that it was possible that I never had the suitcase with me, and I actually had to go to another hotel for assistance. I imagine that the hotel didn't want the police on the premises, but given that my suitcase was stolen from inside their property, I would expect a professional hotel to be of assistance rather than accussing guests of never having had luggage.

I ended up sleeping here (with a chair against the door, as I felt unsafe), as I arrived back from the police late at night and the hotel already had my credit card details (as I had booked via booking.com), so I didn't trust them with my details, particularily as other trip advisor reviews indicate that the hotel can't be trusted with credit card details.

In terms of the hotel facilities, they were old and generally clean, but not spotless, and breakfast is generally an additional charge for good bioches and average coffee. I made a booking on booking.com which was meant to include breakfast, but I was initially told I would have to pay for this upon check-in. Later that night they called to say that breakfast would be included.

I would advise travellers, particularily solo travellers, to pay an extra 10 euro and stay in a nicer place (both in terms of stafff and facilities), as the attitude of the staff member and unwillingness to assist when my suitcase was stolen highlighted that the staff here are indifferent towards the safety of their guests and the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
9 Thank SophieRad
Shanghai
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I've never written a negative review to any hotel or restaurant, but the insult I got from Hotel Lorena is really terrible enough to advise future guests who want to book this hotel.

I booked a triple room with confirmation that there's no booking fee in advance and free cancellation is allowed up to a few days before my planned arrival in November. I provided all 3 guest names because I want us to be fully covered upon arrival. For no reason, Lavinia, who's working for thi hotel, assumed that I'm booking just to obtain visa just because I provided all guest names, and forced me to pay immediately while the planned stay is still 3 months ahead. Otherwise they will cancel the room. In the email, they did not use a tone of negotiation or request, rather, they do not give me any other option. This is a unilateral breach of pre-established agreement in a rude way. I told them visa is not a problem at all and do not accept their unreasonable forcing, but promised as soon as there's a change in my travel plan I'll cancel or change as necessary. But the hotel continued questioning me in a very inpolite way, hurting me and my impression of Florence without any evidence to support their rude assumption. And they told me they send such emails to all guests and this is just normal, which is very likely not true as I cannot believe a hotel breaching agreement so rudely to every guest will survive. I suspect this is a discrmination to certain guests only.

Then after being so disappointed by their poor professionalism, I booked another hotel instead. Obviously, I don't want to be served by someone who even do not know how to respect guest. Since I've promised to cancel Hotel Lorena's room as soon as there's a change, I canceled the room immediately, allowing them as more chances as possible to receive other reservation. Although I could have continued to hold the room until the last minute, given the education I had this is not something I do, even for someone I don't like. I don't expect the hotel to appreciate but at least I respect myself to keep promise decently, although this is to someone who breaks promise rudely. Then you cannot imagine what happened. The hotel intentionally sent an email alluding that I canceled the room because my trip was cancelled by visa officer. Again, they linked a sincere hotel booking to cheating for visa for no reason. This is really a serious intentionally personal insult that hurts an innocent guest which I can no longer forgive.

In my experiences with the hotels from different countries, I've never been bullied or had such intentional insult from a hotel. This seems not only poor professionalism and lack of training, rather makes me have to think whether this is a personality, education or even moral issue. I can hardly imagine the first Florence person I contacted is of such a narrow and mean spirit, and the hotel even allow such an employee dealing directly with guests. But, I stll trust this is special scenario only, and still looking forward to meeting delighted and well educated people in my upcoming travel in Florence.

I hope guests who want to book this hotel pay attention to the potential forced charge/cancellation, as Lavinia clearly told me she does this to ALL guests. Hopefully this is just a lie.

PS: the sort of trip and travel date (Aug 2012) was just selected to allow posting of this review. Please ignore.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kitty123_12
hotel_lorena_firenze, Responsabile reception at HOTEL LORENA, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Good evening

I have carefully read and here is my answer. It may be repetitive but certain issues should be highlighted more often:

1 - if there were any prejudice with "certain" guests as soon as you had made the reservation I had to ask you immediately for payment of the first night; I would not have problems to demand you the payment with just ONE name written.
I asked for the payment of the first night with the balance at check out when you added later two other names.

2 - As for non-EU countries need a visa to enter Italy, is unfortunately normal for us hoteliers to have doubts (like all the hotels working in a dignified manner) on the real NEED of a booking. You know how many times were made reservations that started with one name and then add others, while I was unaware and with a good faith keeping them the room and saying no to other guests and then the same reservation close to a short time before the date of arrival was canceled?
Of course I would say that would be not your the case, but I like my job and I want to do it right.
I respect my guests (as you can read) I insist on me too.

In my letter-forms preprinted in English
(Which means that I send it to clients from various nationalities)
I only asked to pay the first night, saying clearly that the balance is made at the check out. Do you know how many hotels in Florence and around the world ask to be payed in the mean time that you are doing the reservation?

I asked the first night after seeing that you have added two names to the reservation, when I imagine you know that you need only a single name to book a room also for 4 people.
I have many customers from all over the world who book rooms of several types under a single name.

My objective was a speech, it was not my intention to offend you and if you feel offended I apologize. In my letter-forms preprinted there was nothing personal and offensive.
It was a written request because obviously does not allow me to charge anything on the credit card of my guests without permission. And it was colorless and odorless.

And for me, because I love and respect my work, your support was simply a form of respect for me.
Respect that I did not miss you since that I did not offended you.

90% of customers receiving the request for payment and knows to come and allow me to accept the charge.
I can assure you that no customer had to say bad before about this, maybe they understood the spirit of "commercial" and not offensive to the letter.
I do not care about bullying or my rudeness, as can be seen from the other reviews is the contrary.
It ugly to have prejudices and no one should have them, even if time and experience with customers could take me to think otherwise.
I do not have prejudices and I do not think there are guests of the Serie A or Serie B. It 'behavior that makes people of Series A or B, not my prejudices. And unfortunately I noticed these behaviors
( visa reservation ... and more ) many times.

You are the customer and then you deserve all the guarantees but also please gave prejudices the other side.
However, remember that it is not very polite to write my name without my consent in public, but do not worry: the boss does not get mad!
I hope the same to have you our guest in the near future

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Found this hotel via Rick Steve's guide; was looking for something for early July that had 1) air conditioning, 2) free wifi, and 3) budget prices.

You couldn't go better than the Hotel Lorena. It is just a few minutes walk to the Duomo, 10-15 minutes further to the river and other main attractions. Everything we did was within walking distance. The staff was very helpful and informative; you can even buy bottles of cold water directly from them for just 1 Euro, very cheap.

Rooms were clean and comfortable. With the windows closed we couldn't hear anything outside, nor could we see any light. It was not noisy and we had a street-facing window. The a/c isn't as strong as we are used to in North America, but it worked great especially in the July heat. We even had a little (read: TINY) fridge in our room so we could keep our drinks and a few snack cold.

We stayed for a week and breakfast was included in our price--breakfast was great. Espresso of your choice, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, rolls, croissants, cereals and milk, along with condiments (butter, jam, honey, nutella), OJ and water.

There is a small supermarket nearby, a laundrymat, a couple of really fantastic gelato shops, along with quite a bit of street shopping.

Note that the elevator is tiny and doesn't cover the ground floor up to the reception desk (so you have to carry your luggage), although the staff offered to help. The elevator isn't really used much, so plan on walking the stairs (although it is available).

All in all, I would return here again. I would even bring my young family (although it may not be ideal for babies and toddlers, kids probably 5 and up would be fine here, as long as you don't need to rely on a TV or pool for entertainment).

Room Tip: Keep the windows closed in the summer--mosquitos are NASTY!