“Hotel Lorena”

Ranked #126 of 422 Hotels in Florence
Rome, Italy
“Hotel Lorena”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Excellent in terms of value for money. Has a dodgy atmosphere though - they really shouldn't greet guests by offering them free breakfast if they pull a swiftly by canceling their pre booked stay (the trouble of saving 5 euro is not worth the hassle of getting Internet connection etc etc). The room we had was fine - bathroom fan a little noisy otherwise everything a okay! Ask for a room looking on to the square - lots of activity down there. The reception staff are friendly and happy to advise about directions etc. we didn't have breakfast or dinner there but there are plenty of places nearby. We would certainly stay there again. As for the rest of Florence the word rip off comes directly to mind - and don't go anywhere near the place if you don't like being too hot! We came from Australia in late September thinking it would be mild but we sweltered! If you want it cooler wait till late Jan or Feb (I have been told).

Room Tip: Room looking on to the square.
Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Fantastic location. The staff were very helpful and efficient. They helped us with maps and gave detailed information about getting around. Our room was very spacious. The beds were comfortable. Both room and bathroom were scrupulously clean. No complaints at all. Highly recommended.

1 Thank penelopej
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Hotel Lorena located in 5 minutes walk from Railway station St. Maria Novella in front of capella Medici. When you're booking this hotel you are staying in a middle of everything in Florence. 5 min to St.Maria Novella Church, 10 min to Piazza Signoria, Plazzo Vecchio and Uffici Galleries. 15 min to Ponte Vecchio. Hotel surrounded by several markets inc. Mercato centrale. The hotel is well maintained and operated. It has WIFI and breakfasts. In hotel they give you a map and book restaurants you want if you ask. Also they support you with all helpful information. Although Hotel Lorena located in a tourist center of Florence it is really quiet at nights. Unbeatable price for such accomodation and great location. Lorenzo at reception desk helped us a lot with kind advices and important information. Definitely recommend to everyone who is looking for budget hotel in Florence.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank YuryGr
Mariposa,ca
Reviewed 4 October 2012

If you don't mind walking up to the second (in Italy, first floor) to get to the reception, this hotel should prove acceptable I'd you want to be within walking distance of the major sights and attractions of old Florence. It' close to the Accademie and Uffizie Galleries, the Palazzo Vecchio, the Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, etc. from our fourth floor window we could see the done of the Duomo. Lots of great stores, shops and restaurants near. ALS, a self-serve laundromat in the same block. The rooms are SMALL. Many share a toilet/shower down the hall on each floor. We reserved a room with private bath and shower, but were told that room was only available for one night as they were "booked up"....even though we had reserved five months previously. The rooms were clean, but they only change towels once every other day. Staff was rather cold, and few seemed to speak much English. All in all, the location and price made it worth staying at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The hotel was located close to The main railway station and within easy walking distance to the main highlights of Florence. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. The hotel was a bit run down and needed a good make over. But it is a 2 star hotel and did offer good value for money. The breakfast was very inexpensive at 5 euro a head excellent value. The croissants, bread and coffee were all excellent. In addition they had egg, yoghurt and cereal on offer. The view out of our fourth floor window epitomized Florence with the Duomo and Campanile clearly visible.

There was no lift up to reception on the first floor, but there was a lift from there up. After traveling extensively by train I an sure that we lifted our bags up many more steps than we encountered here.

1 Thank David R
hotel_lorena_firenze, Responsabile reception at HOTEL LORENA, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Hello !!

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy that you appreciate our breakfast and croissant :))

I hope you will be our guest in the future !

Lavinia
Gudja Malta
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Hotel Lorena is a 2** hotel in the historical centre of Florence just opposite Medici Chapels.It is very clean,has an elevator from the first floor and from ground floor there are some stairs.Our room was air-conditioned and had a mini fridge.The bathroom was extremely clean and even the towels and linen.The window looks out onto a busy tourist piazza but not one sound was heard from the inside due to 2 double glazed sound proof windows.The breakfast is at 5 euro p.p. daily.I found that it was worth the price cause it was a buffet and there was quite a good selection!Lorena hotel is right in the historical centre and a few minutes away from the bus/train station so it was a real short walk.There's a supermarket a few meters away where we bought water.Due to our booking, we had no trouble as Venere took care of everything.I would stay there again.

Melbourne
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Although a central location, as outlined in other poorer reviews, I would not trust this zone. Please read below before booking.

I arrived with a large suitcase and left this in the foyer area of the hotel. Please note that this was within the hotel doors (which were closed) and in a place where there were signs advising of telecameras. I went to the reception desk on the next floor, as the stairs were very steep and it was not possible to carry my suitcase without assistance. I was told to take a seat as the staff member was checking-out other guests.

When I returned to the foyer my suitcase was gone. I asked to view the footage of the security cameras and I was told they did not work. The male working in the hotel became very defensive and was shouting that I was accussing him of taking my suitcase. I wasn't accussing him, as he was clearly at the desk when my suitcase disappeared, but I was hoping the telecameras may have captured the person taking my suitcase and so I wanted to see the film.

When I went to the Police to do a "denuncia" (Italian police report), it was a bit strange that when the police officer phoned the hotel, they said that there was no film in the security cameras, rather than they weren't working, which was unfortunate when they had 4 screens displaying footage of the entrance behind the front desk. The most probable explanation is that a gypsie took the suitcase, but the attitude of the staff member was totally unprofessional.

Had the hotel staff been kinder and explained to me the process of making a police report, I would have accepted that someone from the street had most likely entered the hotel. GIven that my suitcase disappeared from hotel premises, the attitude of the staff member at the desk was really unprofessional, particularily given that the security cameras 'didn't have film in them'. He said to me that it was possible that I never had the suitcase with me, and I actually had to go to another hotel for assistance. I imagine that the hotel didn't want the police on the premises, but given that my suitcase was stolen from inside their property, I would expect a professional hotel to be of assistance rather than accussing guests of never having had luggage.

I ended up sleeping here (with a chair against the door, as I felt unsafe), as I arrived back from the police late at night and the hotel already had my credit card details (as I had booked via booking.com), so I didn't trust them with my details, particularily as other trip advisor reviews indicate that the hotel can't be trusted with credit card details.

In terms of the hotel facilities, they were old and generally clean, but not spotless, and breakfast is generally an additional charge for good bioches and average coffee. I made a booking on booking.com which was meant to include breakfast, but I was initially told I would have to pay for this upon check-in. Later that night they called to say that breakfast would be included.

I would advise travellers, particularily solo travellers, to pay an extra 10 euro and stay in a nicer place (both in terms of stafff and facilities), as the attitude of the staff member and unwillingness to assist when my suitcase was stolen highlighted that the staff here are indifferent towards the safety of their guests and the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo