“Great night out in Florence”
Review of Athenaeum Hotel

Athenaeum Hotel
Ranked #214 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I dont know of the hotel that much, but the restaurant (the only one still open in the late evening in the surrounding) took very good care of us. The dinner was delicious, the staff very friendly and welcoming. The hotel owner has his own wine seller filled with bottles of wine from different regions across Europe.
The distance to the city center is also very convenient, a nice 10-15 minute slow walking.
I cannot complain about anything, I loved the city, I loved the restaurant and the night was just perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and had a great stay. First of all the location of the hotel is very good, it is a 5-10 minute walk to all the main attractions which was perfect for us as the walk is very pleasant and you get to see lots of lovely shops and cafes on the way. As Florence is so small you are never too far from the centre anyway. Room was good, nothing to complain about. Breakfast was typical continental with toast, pastries, meat, cheese etc but lots of choice. Staff were very friendly and helpul, would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

When you are desperate, you'll do anything. But after going through what I went through, I think I would have rather slept at train station than staying here. Our initial B&B for whatever reason decided to close before the real check in time. I travelled with my wife and a less than 2 year old son, it was 7pm and imagine we have just come to Florence with no where to stay. I went to like 10 -20 different B&Bs, everything was fully booked as it was the biking event of the year in Florence. So I knew the option would only be if I stayed in a 4 star hotel and this hotel had one last room available at 200 Euros. As my family came first, I didnt hesitate to book it!

We were tired and we ate at the restaurant which apparently acclaimed as best food in town. It has to be a self-awarded claim, as nothing really was great about the food.

The room was clean and decent - only hotel that had the facility of making coffee/tea. Breakfast was okish...a typical european breakfast - ham, salami, cheese, toasts, juices, croissants etc.

Then we hit a prob after check out. Half way walking out of the hotel, I asked my wife to take a pic of the road we were walking on and she couldnt find the camera. We called the hotel and apparently the house keeper didnt find anything. But i was pretty sure we left it there as I know i had it that morning as i checked the battery life and put it on its case and we didnt stop by anywhere on the way out between the hotel and next location. Spoke to their GM and GM too insists they wouldnt have taken it.

I dont mind the camera being stolen, we can always buy another. What hurt me is the photos on that camera (memory card). Its irreplaceable and definitely cannot be re-created again. Too many memorable photos we took in Rome, that just went at a blink of an eye. I am normally not careless as I double check rooms, cabs, buses - anywhere i go, and have a quick peak behind to ensure we didnt leave anything. But I was quite stressed that morning and took my eye off the ball park and it cost me a camera...and all the memorable photos.

I wouldn't want to stay here nor would I recommend to anyone unless you keep your stuff on Safe Box at all times. It is also a very long walk to the main square - maybe 20 mins for fast walkers, 30 mins for slow walkers but to me, its a no place to stay in future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OneSt0p
athenaeumhotel, Direttore at Athenaeum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Although you are free to express your opinion on our restaurant, it is
regrettable and unfair that you chose to shed doubt on the integrity of our
Staff who has worked for our hotel for many years and whose honesty we can
vouch for.
We looked everywhere for your camera, thinking that perhaps your young child
may have hidden it. We cannot say if your camera was taken outside of our
hotel but most certainly you did not leave it in your room.
We are truly sorry that in losing your camera you also lost all the memories
of your trip but we cannot be held responsible.
Best regards,

Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Athenaeum Hotel was perfect, the staff is amazingly helpful in every regard, the hotel is immaculate, the restaurant and staff are top notch and the location is good. We arrived early and the staff took our bags into storage so that we could go see the sights of Florence. The desk personnel pulled out a city map and gave us precise directions and distances to nearest attractions. When we returned our bags had been put in our rooms. The rooms were fantastic, clean, modern, beautiful and comfortable. The lobby was very comfortable with lots of seating to visit. The lobby and restaurant overlook a beautiful atrium with garden and running water landscaping. One night we dined in the hotel restaurant. The wait staff was wonderful. Filled us in on all the culinary specialties of the area. When we were ready to check out, they asked us if we wanted to store our bags for free while we did a sightseeing event and they were locked away until we were ready to return and collect them. The staff was very helpful suggesting alternative times to visit some of the busiest tourist attractions. As a result we saw the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio uncrowned and lit amazingly at night..... Breathtaking. The staff was so efficient suggesting and arranging for best modes of transportation. On site free breakfast included with room was very good too

Room Tip: All rooms are good, there is a little noise from street so perhaps a room not facing Main Street. Bu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Good hotel. Rooms are good, staff is friendly. Good breakfast.

Bonus: it is about 2 blocks away from San Marco Sq. and about 3.5 blocks away from the Duomo. So, it was quite convenient to walk to the Duomo in the evenings. Maria Santa Novella train station is about 6 euros by taxi (starting from the hotel), and about 10 euros (starting from the train station)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

We were very disappointed with this hotel. The lobby looks modern when you walk in, and the main area is quite nice. As soon as you go to the area where the rooms are, it's like a different hotel. The rooms smell very old and stale, likely the carpets. Air conditioner doesn't work properly. Breakfast isn't great. We were also quite disappointed with the location. Also, this hotel is very loud from inside the rooms. For the price I am sure there are much better hotels in this area. I would not recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Kandrt
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here for 3 nights, good location - only a 10 min walk to the Duomo, nice big room with free wifi, free phone chargers, a mini bar, big bathroom and a nice continental breakfast. However the mould in the shower (seen this on other reviews - could be so easily fixed) and the slightly tacky decor in the lobby and restaurant (faux leather everywhere!) let it down a bit. We got a good deal though so can't complain. Parking is €24 a day so we dropped off our cases and then parked out of town by the Michelangelo where it's free.

• Stayed: September 2013