“Different!”

Ranked #343 of 643 Florence B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Different!”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

It may have been that we had just had a brilliant 4 days in Venice at a fabulous B&B there, but Novecento was definitely NOT what we were expecting! It was at the top, on the third floor, of some very steep, exhausting stairs, & whilst the greenery as you reached the door was lovely, it wasn't quite worth the climb! The owners, Sawako & Franco were lovely, but didn't seem to leave you alone! Every time we came or went, they seemed to be there fussing! We were like little kids at one stage when we finally made it out the door without them catching us, & we ran for our lives, giggling! (And I don't suggest doing that on their stairs!). They did mean well however. Our room was a good size, & it was at the top of some more stairs, just before the stairs to the tiny rooftop garden. Our bathroom was 'different' also, but was clean & 'cute'. It was tiny, & if you wanted the toilet whilst your partner was showering, forget it! You had to walk through the shower to get to the toilet.
There were two, maybe three other rooms besides ours, & Franco & Sawako seemed to live in the other half of the apartment, above the kitchen. They could lock the kitchen off & consequently their area above it, & the guest rooms were in the other half of the house, each with its own key.
One of the essentials for us before booking accommodation is to check it has air-conditioning (& wifi) which this did. But it was explained to us that the air con was not working & they were not able to get a technician for a while. Florence seems to be one of the hotter cities in Italy, & being at the top of the building, it was particularly hot & stuffy. Franco was wanting us to tell him what a good sleep we had had, when talking to us at breakfast the next morning, but we couldn't, as we had been so hot. They quickly said they would get a technician in to fix it that day. We were gone for a short while, & returned before heading off to our allotted time slot to see the statue of David. Our air-conditioning was amazingly fixed! We somehow doubt that it was even broken, perhaps a circuit switched or fuse pulled.
The breakfasts left a bit to be desired too. They 'waited' on us, but you had the distinct feeling that they were rationing everything. Franco had asked if we wanted bread rolls the next morning, & that he makes them himself! It was those 'bake at home' ones, that you purchase already made, & you put them in the oven for about 5 minutes! It's fortunate that we don't eat much breakfast.
My husband in particular had a bit of an issue with Franco, & his constant chatter. It drove my husband spare! Franco needed to chill a bit, but he really was very sweet. Sawako was gorgeous, definitely the quiet one of the two, & consequently seemed to understand us better & was more perceptive.
It's redeeming factor was that the location was brilliant. The Duomo was at the end of the block, & when they said in the blurb for the accommodation, that on the rooftop garden you felt as though you could touch the dome of the Duomo, you just about felt you could. Galleria dell'Academia with the statue of David is just down the road. There are some great restaurants very close by.
The rooftop garden was an added bonus, & we enjoyed popping up here for a breath of fresh air, some internet time, or to just read for a while.
It was 'different' & an experience, but we would find alternative accommodation in any future visits to Florence.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank minxSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nantes
Reviewed 7 August 2013

What a gem of a hotel: brilliant location, very clean and comfortable, good value for money and wonderful hosts. Franco and Sawako carried our bags to the room and made excellent recommendations for restaurants and shopping. Franco personally took us to a fantastic leather shop when I mentioned I wanted to buy a bag and I got special discount as a friend of his! Sawako loaned me a hairdryer when my adapter didn't work and ordered us a taxi for our return to the airport. It was these little touches that helped make our stay so memorable and we'll certainly be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We cannot recommend this place highly enough.

We were hopelessly lost when we arrived in Florence and our GPS wasn't helping. However, we made a quick call to Franco who ran over, hopped in our car, and directed us to the nearby parking garage (complete with Franco rates). He and Sawako then helped us with our luggage and gave a great recommendation for dinner. Breakfast was delicious, comfortable, and enjoyable (Franco cracked jokes - he's a funny guy).

We camped out on the terrace every night and drank wine/beer. The view of the Duomo was spectacular... unforgettable even. Our stay here made that much better because of this wonderful little B&B.

Room Tip: Europe in general has many stairs. Pack light.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
manchester
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Writing this on the roof terrace with a beer looking at the doumu. It's a fab bnb that's in an amazing location and has amazing owners who are only to happy to help you with tickets for the galleries and restaurant recommendations. Could not recommend highly enough!

2 Thank prendy82
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I stayed at this B & B for ten days in May/June 2013. Franco with his zany love of life and Sawako with her warm welcoming smile were excellent hosts. The location is fabulous. Close to absolutely everything. My room was cute. The bed was very comfortable and the windows swung open to take in the bustle of Florence below. The breakfasts were good. They gave us a bottle of wine and celebrated my friend's birthday with us. The roof top terrace was very quaint and we looked out on the dome of the duomo a block away as we drank our wine many days. Our hosts were full of helpful information. There are three flights of stairs but our hosts took care of the luggage and I gained a real appreciation for the stairs after all that pasta. Staying at this B & B really added to the joy of my time in Florence. I would stay here again and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: There Is no swimming pool or fitness centre but I could not remove the buttons once I pushed them in...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dean M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed at the Novocento for two nights in June and highly rate this B&B. Franco was a wonderful host who was always smiling and ready with helpful tips on what to do in the city especially if your stay is a short one. The B&B is very central with the Duomo literally on your doorstep (waking up to the bells is lovely) and is only a 10 minute walk to the train station (even with luggage).
My room was very clean and comfortable. You are provided with towels, a small bottle of shower gel and shampoo and Suwako was kind enough to lend me a hairdryer. There is also a fridge in the room and a small TV with mainly local channels. Extra pillows and blankets are also provided if needed.
The bathroom is small but en-suite with the usual Mediterranean style shower that drains through the floor (tip, only put the bathmat out after you’ve showered or it will get soaked).
The breakfast consisted of tea/coffee, juice, yogurt, bread, pastries and meat and cheese slices and was quiet sufficient (eggs would be a nice addition though). The roof terrace is lovely to sit out on and looks over the roof tops of the city.
The hotel is on the third floor and there are a lot of steps (no lift), but Franco was more than happy to help with my bags.
Considering the amazing location and proximity to the train station this B&B is ideal for those who just want a base from which to explore the city and don’t want to waste time on getting to and from their hotel. As a solo traveller I also highly recommend it as a safe and friendly place to stay.
General tips for Florence: wear very comfortable shoes as most attractions are easily accessible by foot, take an umbrella (the weather was changeable even in June) and don’t forget to validate your train tickets before you get on a train.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank smurf77
regina
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Novecento. The location couldn't be any more convenient - close to everything in Florence. Franco and Suwako were good hosts and made sure I had everything I needed or wanted. The rooftop terrace was a nice quiet get away. My room faced the street and was a bit noisy at night but what can you do? I enjoyed my time in Florence.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends